Sponsored Links Spacer Image

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 1:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dude, when i was in thailand, my coaches only knew a few words in english: "hip" when i didn't turn my hip over, "hand" when i didn't drop the hand on the same side as the kick, "foot" when i didn't rise up on the ball of my foot when kicking were the most common.

the one who spoke the most english actually said a whole sentence to me on one occasion: "why no powah? too much boom boom with lady!"

none of that hurt my ability to learn from them.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 1:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with the point Ming Loyalist is making. I've learned most of my BJJ from a Brazilian man who's incomprehensible under the very best of circumstances and whose english vocab is limited to foot, collar, hip, sleeve, and pay attention. Since he's not trying to explain his thesis to you, I'm sure you'll be ok. Moreover, if he's the best in your area, I think the frustration coupled with a gap in communication is well worth it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 2:04pm

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess my question would be whether or not you can communicate enough with him to learn, or if his limitations would honestly impair your training. I certainly wouldn't automatically rule him out just because he is a little hard to understand, but I also don't think it is unfair to be a little hesitant if you have concerns. Are there any students there that you could talk to about what it's like to train with him? As long as you do it in a respectful manner I don't think such questions would be out of line.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 2:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****. delete

my idiot uni friends fucked with my laptop: delete plz mod
    Last edited by MMAMickey; 3/11/2010 2:52pm at .
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 2:57pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is being punchy contagious or something? Whats the problem?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 5:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He could simply be very introverted and dislike speaking. I have friends that stutter like mad and repeat themselves constantly unless they're with someone they're extremely comfortable with.

Granted, teaching isn't a great profession for someone that introverted, but if he can make a fighter, he can make a fighter.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 7:23pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He could simply be very introverted and dislike speaking. I have friends that stutter like mad and repeat themselves constantly unless they're with someone they're extremely comfortable with.

Granted, teaching isn't a great profession for someone that introverted, but if he can make a fighter, he can make a fighter.
    I'm the same way. I've had to assist with kids before. I did not stutter, but I kept my sentences as short as possible when explaining and only responded to inquiries with a few grunts. I'm also a terrible motivator, the kids were looking at me all happy after having done the throw of the day and I'd just stand there stone-faced. It actually took me a while to catch what they wanted, ie encouragement.

Your guy may be slow socially. I certainly am. Never kept me from actually dispensing knowledge, though. I tutored in college and my charges made great progress.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 10:56pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just because he's punchy shouldn't be a problem, hey many of the best guys are fucked up and all punchy, seems to go with the turf.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 11:32pm

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    "why no powah? too much boom boom with lady!"
    that made my day.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 11:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ungjaevel
    I agree with the point Ming Loyalist is making. I've learned most of my BJJ from a Brazilian man who's incomprehensible under the very best of circumstances and whose english vocab is limited to foot, collar, hip, sleeve, and pay attention. Since he's not trying to explain his thesis to you, I'm sure you'll be ok. Moreover, if he's the best in your area, I think the frustration coupled with a gap in communication is well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    Just because he's punchy shouldn't be a problem, hey many of the best guys are fucked up and all punchy, seems to go with the turf.
    Thank you, this is the kind of advice I was looking for. I've never met or known anyone who is punchy, so I was unsure of what to think.

Freddy Roach is pretty fucked up, and everyone still flocks to him.

I guess was just concerned that I'd be somehow missing something, somewhere or that he might have some epic mental lapse one day that might get someone hurt. Maybe that's an ignorant thought to have, but that's why I posed the question.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast