is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 12:25am

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New Muay Thai instructor is punchy

After settling into my new place, I found a place to train that offers judo, boxing, bjj and MT. I can choose two or three styles for a certain amount a month. Unlimited classes are out of my price range and I don't think my schedule (or Mrs. Ka-Bar) will let me even do 3 styles. I had been doing judo and boxing at two separate (non-MMA gyms) and was planning on sticking with judo, but wanted to work on my kickboxing.

I watched a class last week and from what I could see, the level of technique and skill of the students was pretty good. The instructor seemed to be really slow, however. For example, during sparring, when each round is over most instructors would yell "TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!" if they didn't have a round timer. He goes "Uh, hey, guys. Break."

Then, when he would break down a technique, he would go really slow and break down the technique and repeat himself a few times. I found this really helpful and easy to follow, but listening to him speak, he sounded really dumb. Not that what he was saying was dumb, but the cadence and rhythm made him seem that way. This clip will give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

YouTube- Obie the Developmentally Disabled Cop

I found out he's fluent in Thai, and he was either a paramedic or nurse before going into Muay Thai, so he's obviously not dumb. Speaking to him after class, I noticed that he's got a very slight shake, Ali Shuffle, whatever. And he doesn't just repeat himself when instructing during class. He told me something 3 times in the space of a minute.

I was supposed to go in and pay my fee tomorrow, but now I'm not so sure. Is this something I should be worried about, or am I making a big deal out of nothing?

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 12:40am

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe that's just his preferred teaching method. Doesn't sound like much of a problem. You said the classes and students seem very good and in the end isn't that what counts? That you'd get your money's worth?

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 12:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aww man, he's punch drunk. That's fucked up, the guy probably put in a lot of time as a fighter.

That or he at some point in time suffered serious head trauma OR he's going through what Ali went through. Either way it's a damn shame.

Truth be told you're not a bad dude for being hesitant for signing up. Shop around some more.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 1:00am

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli View Post
    Aww man, he's punch drunk. That's fucked up, the guy probably put in a lot of time as a fighter.

That or he at some point in time suffered serious head trauma OR he's going through what Ali went through. Either way it's a damn shame.

Truth be told you're not a bad dude for being hesitant for signing up. Shop around some more.
    I think he fought close to 50 fights in Thailand. I have no idea how many fights he's had in the States.

The problem with shopping around is he's pretty much the only legitimate MT guy in the county.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 2:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or he's just been around kids too much since he's become a teacher.

Years of teaching kids caused me to develop a bad habit of automatically repeating everything I say because 1/4 of them are not listening at any given moment. I'm almost back to normal now...

I honestly don't understand how every single parent in the world doesn't have this problem.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 5:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you think you have it bad? My MT coach was this african/french man who was difficult to understand at the best of times and shouted 'bong' and 'oosh' in a french accent every time he hit the pads.. It was so hilarious it actually hindered my training some days.

I've also had an irish boxing coach who sounded more like taz than human when he spoke, and spat everywhere

.. bottom line if you can learn from the guy, do the class. if you can't learn from the guy but you can learn from the students then still go seeing as you have no other options.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 6:40am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd probably train there anyway, some of my best coaches have been mental midgets.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 7:24am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so there i am, teaching muay thai, when this guy shows up. seems a bit dim; turns out he's a judo guy. probably dropped on his head a bit too much, you know? he's kinda creeping me out and i'm still hungover from last night (when that fucking brazilian downstairs says 'cachaca,' i should learn to say 'no'), so i'm keeping everything low key.

i've dealt with a lot of mentally disabled and drugged up people over the years, to say nothing of people suffering severe bloodloss or in shock, so i know how to handle him - slow down, use small words, and repeat everything, but goddamn, this guy just didn't get it. complete blank look. had to say the same thing three times in the same freakin sentence before he caught on.

i hope he doesn't sign up.
    Last edited by pauli; 3/11/2010 7:37am at .

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 8:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahahaha, that was good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 12:11pm

Style: boxing, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so your complaints are the guy talks slow, repeats himself, sounds a bit punch drunk at times, and doesnt yell out "time" when he doesnt have a timer but instead he chooses to tell the guys to break it up. I completely understand why you wouldnt want to go there and all being that he seems to know his stuff pretty good (as seen thru his students) and he is obviously experienced in MT and the school actually offers several different martial arts classes in one school, a couple of which you train in and one that you would like to train in. Hell, just forget about the years of experience this man has and how he can probably pick apart all the things your doing wrong with your technique in 3 seconds just cause he talks a bit slow at times. Yeah, your better off going somewheres else.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast