Our Sponsors:

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 313738394041 42 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 5:05pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just want to see more Hahaha.....Aikido video clips.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 8:01am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really like your avatar lol
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 8:27pm

Style: Not lost...Found Judo+MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 9:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by taikwido
    You will find no devastating techniques from Aikido. It's all about

Aikido is by no means complete. But no system is.
    I have taken aikido for a few years, so i think i can comment a little about it.
    Now I have no experience with the other styles of aikido except for regular Aikikai style
    so my comments will be in regards to that.

As far as practical self defense is concerned, a lot of the drills are not applicable
    to fighting. Whenever I practiced these moves of pivoting, breath throws, a lot of it was being 'smooth' and relying on a compliant partner.
    Even the higher level randori (multiple person attack) relies on compliant partners. And thats the main problem, its hard to spar with aikido.
    BJJ and muay thai are not the be all end all, but they test themselves with sparring. It may not be pretty, but thats because you are not dealing with a cooperative partner.

Aikido, also doesnt have very much conditioning. You could be out of shape and practice it. In BJJ you wrestle. In muay thai you skip rope, do push ups, run, work the heavy bag...etc.

Technique wise, aikido is based on circular movement, but its also slow and very difficult to pull off. Whats easier, trying to use ki, unbalancing to apply a wristlock on a punch.....
    or using proven technique and body weight to apply a 'kimura' lock?

That being said, here is what I feel to be the positives of aikido. Because aikido doesnt rely on athleticism....you could be 50 years old and still practice. There is a philosophy to aikido that pacifists can embrace. For those wishing to know more about japanese culture, aikido is onething they can practice. Aikido is relatively safe (some injuries but still better than MMA) Some people dont want to learn how to fight, but would like to practice something to relax and deal with stress, and aikido is alright for that. As far as self defense is concerned is arguably that taking something is better than nothing. If you took aikido and someone tried to punch you, at least you can react with something........
    Its not the greatest for self defense but it can teach you a few things......
    But to be honest, i would steer a newbie martial artist into something else if they want to learn how to fight.

The main thing is it depends on what reasons you have to learn martial art

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 6:06pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by georgesoros
    For those wishing to know more about japanese culture, aikido is onething they can practice.
    FUCKING LARPERS

Oh. . the irony of me calling someone else a LARPER...

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 5:55am

Style: Muay Thai, RBSD Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isnt Ueshiba a distant relative of Ki-Adi-Mundi of the Jedi Council? Could this explain t3h r34l d34dly powers of the force?

truly the inspiration for the force if ever there was one.
    Last edited by Severe; 6/19/2007 5:59am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 6:20am

Style: Muay Thai, RBSD Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Technique wise, aikido is based on circular movement, but its also slow and very difficult to pull off. Whats easier, trying to use ki, unbalancing to apply a wristlock on a punch...
    I noticed you said 'try' when talking about ki power. lucky save.

Because aikido doesnt rely on athleticism....you could be 50 years old and still practice.
    yet it involves getting up off teh floor a few dozen times or more. ask someone over 50 if thats a realistic thing. perhaps if you have done it for years leading up to your 50th, but I cant see it being a preferred way to reduce heart attacks.

As far as self defense is concerned is arguably that taking something is better than nothing. If you took aikido and someone tried to punch you, at least you can react with something...
    like if you learn the Tango or ballroom dancing, at least you know something that may help.

Its not the greatest for self defense but it can teach you a few things......
    But to be honest, i would steer a newbie martial artist into something else if they want to learn how to fight.

The main thing is it depends on what reasons you have to learn martial art
    now this makes sense. but is it a martial art or choreography? is stunt work on movie sets called martial arts? what about learning the contempory dance? mmm, not sure about that. I didnt intend to trash your post but some things didnt add up.

I tried it for 4 months until I just couldnt justify it any more. I had paid for 3 months and tried to make sense of it by going that extra month. but I learned nothing that would be superior to anything I already used, or even on equal footing with some of the less function skills I knew.

So I just spent more time in those areas I was already familiar with. but before you say that I needed more time to learn the 'good' stuff, well when a noob can learn some decent skills in Muay Thai (for example) in under a year, why would I believe that longer for less functionability is better? because I am in it to ensure my ass is saved if it needs to fight. and I havent needed to throw anyone, just hurt them. I would prefer sex as a de-stress than Aikido.

viva la door work, for Aikido does not live there.
    Last edited by Severe; 6/19/2007 6:27am at .

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 12:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you know what, i should just go out and say what i really think....
    aikido, at least of all the examples i have seen, suck as a martial art.
    I try to give a balanced view, but it just plain sucks.
    Also, and i think its been mentioned before, people who take aikido seriously
    have this lame attitude.
    lets say someone is a couch potato, and starts taking aikido, then yes it is preferable
    to being a couch potato. But yeh, ballroom dancing could also fulfil that requirement.
    Actually i'm not sure what aikido is for.....
    Its not great for fighting.
    Spiritual enlightenment? Find a religion.
    Learning about culture? Take a language class.
    Exercise? No it doesnt provide that great of a work out.
    Relaxation? Ok maybe....

So I just spent more time in those areas I was already familiar with. but before you say that I needed more time to learn the 'good' stuff, well when a noob can learn some decent skills in Muay Thai (for example) in under a year, why would I believe that longer for less functionability is better? because I am in it to ensure my ass is saved if it needs to fight. and I havent needed to throw anyone, just hurt them. I would prefer sex as a de-stress than Aikido.

viva la door work, for Aikido does not live there.[/quote]

Posted On:
    6/30/2007 12:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bushidokan/American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU IDIOTS TALKING ABOUT?? AIKIDO WAS DEVELOPED AS A WAY ART, THAT IS A WAY TO BATTLE ONES OWN EGO AND ULTIMATELY FIND INNER PEACE, NOT TEAR PHONE BOOKS AND FLEX FOR THE LADIES!!! IT IS UKE'S JOB TO GO WITH THE FLOW THUS ABANDONING HIS OWN SELFISH DESIRE TO BE THE CENTER OF ATTENTION. LOOKS LIKE PRETTY GOOD AIKIDO TO ME MORONS.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/01/2007 1:22am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brndn
    WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU IDIOTS TALKING ABOUT?? AIKIDO WAS DEVELOPED AS A WAY ART, THAT IS A WAY TO BATTLE ONES OWN EGO AND ULTIMATELY FIND INNER PEACE, NOT TEAR PHONE BOOKS AND FLEX FOR THE LADIES!!! IT IS UKE'S JOB TO GO WITH THE FLOW THUS ABANDONING HIS OWN SELFISH DESIRE TO BE THE CENTER OF ATTENTION. LOOKS LIKE PRETTY GOOD AIKIDO TO ME MORONS.
    Stay in Noobville you fucking retard.

~Ella Wheeler
Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 313738394041 42 LastLast