Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 7:03pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe shinshoryu has provided the most exhaustive list of pros and cons of the art of Aikido.

I just wanted to add my own observations on this matter based on my experiences studying both Hapkido (a style that is at least related by many comment elements of Aikido) and Jujitsu.

I often questioned the utility of many of the techniques taught in Hapkido when I first started learning them and i still do know. It took a couple of years and alot of patience to understand the utility in this art. The problem is that these principles are subtle, difficult to master, and easily taken out of context by the casual observer.

That does not make them useless it only appears that way because you are judging it by the wrong parameters. Even the almighty BJJ is in the best case marginally effective against an opponent holding a gun or a knife. Does that make it useless?

So if you faced an opponent who was charging you with knife or sword would you defend yourself by trying take him to the ground? If someone brings a baseball bat to bear doesn't it make sense to grab his wrists or to deflect that energy instead of trying to shoot for his legs?

This is a repetition of what shinshoryu has basically said but what I would like to add is that the principles and techniques of arts like Hapkido and Aikido can by applied to arts such as Jujitsu as well. In fact, they're already there. And anyone who has spent time studying more than one martial art will tell you that there are many common elements even in MAs intended for completely different contexts. Understanding that makes you a better MA.

I could go on for quite a while and can make very specific examples based on my own experience but i will refrain unless asked. Instead I will offer you my 2 cents:

The world of martial arts is vast and varied, there is much to learn, and no single art can teach you everything so expose yourself to as much as you can and take with you what works. Don't discount Aikido and Hapkido just because you fight in a Gi on a mat against an unarmed opponent who's primary objective is to take you to the ground and make you submit. That is after all also a controlled environment that is equally ridicuous when you consider several real world scenarios. I can think of a number of scenarios where the best martial art for the occasion is track and field.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 10:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank god you explained that!!!

Posted On:
    10/31/2006 4:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the founder of Aikido was a chunger!!!

Posted On:
    11/01/2006 2:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, CJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bunyip
    WHAT THE **** is the first throw in the second clip? The attacker drops to a knee for a double leg, causing his opponent to helplessly fly over his head?!
    Its called Kesa Katsugi (don't ask), and the aikido guys looked like they weren't sparring, they were just "flowing with the go" or some zen thing like that.

I don't think aikido guys actually think their stuff will work on the street, but it looks relaxing! I wanna try! Nobody better dis warrior yoga. ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 10:58pm

Style: Boxing, MMA/MT/BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Infidel

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 3:01am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And I'd like to give a big shout out to Megaman for going around ressurecting old Aikido posts.

Thanks for keeping the dream alive.
    Last edited by vigilus; 1/09/2007 6:29am at .

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 4:32pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido training or patty cake?

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 10:46am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shoshinryu
    Its called Kesa Katsugi (don't ask),
    Sorry but I am goin to ask.. Kesa Kastugi.. WHAT ? in 20 years never heard of it, please explain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Ukemi
    Aikido training or patty cake?

looks like neither; its koryu kihon keiko. old school basic practice and given that the image is entitled "daitouryu.jpg" you'd know that before posting the image.. So I'd say you were being a dick.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 4:40pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say you are correct.