Chemist

Posted On:
    3/05/2005 2:36pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're English?
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2005 8:47pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    native english speaker, we sometimes forget about you other guys

Chemist

Posted On:
    3/05/2005 9:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What other guys? English is my first language.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 10:50am

Style: jazz hands

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps he means England when he said native English
    ?

I've heard that before from brits.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2005 3:25am

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no, i meant just the language, not the country

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2005 4:17am

Style: Delusional Idiocy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ha what the ****? How rare would it be for someone to have engish as a second language and use so much correctly integrated slang?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2005 10:25pm

Style: Brazilian JuiJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    I agree. The second clip was pure Bullshido. No ones going to run towards you with their wrists sticking out as if the want to feel you up.The guy was just going eith the technique and throwing himself.Those people are going to get themselves killed should they try that out against a serious martial artist.

You guys are under the misconception that those video clips are actual combat drills, Iím a reformed Aikidoist and I acknowledge that the casual way those guys are practicing these moves is lame but it doe teach timing and confidence in the movements.
    And the Uke gets to practice rolling, he is being cooperative but over cooperative training is a danger in Aikido but itís not fatal in itself.
    I think training needs sparring and challenges or else itís just intellectual wanking.
    I could say that Kata in Karate is a waste of time, because it is rife with ritualistic useless moves and stances that are ingrained into the fighter lessening their overall effectiveness.
    :XXspider:
    Bjj Scary.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2005 7:26am

Style: GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started reading all the replies but then it all turned into FLAMES WARZ!!!1! so i though **** it - switch to the end.

I studied Aikido in Chigwell (http://www.aikido-development-society.org) for about 6 months until my TKD instructor complained that it was messing with the "Hapkido" he was teaching me.

From what I learned in the time there I can say:

1. Firstly the reason Aikido has so many low hand grabs and kneeling moves is because if was devised based on teachings for those wearing swords. When you try and draw the sword, the guy grabs you hands, etc, cue Aikido technique.

2. Aikido is by far the most technical martial art i have ever practiced. It is a very different philosophy and method to all other martial arts and requires constant drilling of the basics to get better.

These drills look ghey. No shiznet. Really ghey.

4. At my club there were three types of people. i. High grades (all over 50) were basically fcking good and could put you in very painful positions very quickly and fling you around with almost no effort at all (the top guy "Don" is a 70 year old total baddass and one of the best martial artists I have met -which is saying something). ii. Black belts (all 30+) they had ALL cross trained in other arts to blackbelt (most of them Judo). When Aikido "wasn't working" I could see them switch to Judo and use that to fill the gaps in their training. iii. People like me (beginners) who couldn't get much of the tech's to work, and in my case I was dying to use Jujitsu or start kicking upside the face (I am a TKD BB 1st).

The only time they drilled "keeping it real" was at the end of the night when they did knife defense. That was very good and very real pressure testing. The rest f the time it was just like in this video.

6. Aikido does work. Morihei Ueshiba was an absolute baddass from accounts and the videos of Kancho Sensei just look painful on the attacker. But these were Aikido Gods. For Mr Mc. Muppet Aikido is a long up hill struggle and offers no street skills at all until you "get it". This will take years and years judging from the age of the lads down in chigwell.

7. Many noob techs require the attacker to be rushing in, which is not street at all.

8. For all that Aikido has stayed with me. I still find myself using many of the entering and rotational weight movements. I used some of it in my TKD Blackbelt grading to round off the grappling section and it worked then (I stuck to the easy stuff).

I sometimes bump into some of the guys in the supermarket and they always ask me back, which is really nice. I don't think I will go though. I am looking at being more real not more Zen like. I'm heading to Elite or Paragon in London.

Remember Ueshiba considered Aikido a sort of religion and a state of mind NOT a martial art, hence his book is called "the art of peace" (and it is very good too).

Cheers

Basho

:bowdown:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2005 2:19am

Style: Judo, Aikido, Dododo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just when I thought this forum was dominated by peeps who wouldn't understand Aikido if it smacked them on the head with a bokken...
    Good post... :new_scatt

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2005 7:56pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is how practice usually went for me, with this sort of 'throw me' attitude from the Uke. Naturally, practicing the movements came first. The problem with my school was, we rarely ever did any randori, so the proper application of the moves wasn't exactly pounded into our minds. I would have liked to stay and actually be able to use those techniques in a fight, but then again, there are far more applicable arts to use than aikido. However, just the little bit that I did learn helped me immensely in my movement. I use a lot of circular movement now, and it really helped with my checking, just learning to redirect their attack.