Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 1:09am

Style: MT noob, BJJ even noober

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    Seek out Epic Beard man and learn his ways.
    Old man strong really exists?! :5shocking

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 1:18am

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most Krav Maga in the US isn't so good as far as combatives are concerned, generally having more in common with cardio-kickboxing than an actual MA (I presume that most schools don't do a very good job of teaching situational awareness, but I haven't actually investigated that aspect.)

Get in the habit of being aware of who and what is around you, and Kali/etc. should be perfectly serviceable on the street.

If you want to improve your personal fitness put the money towards a personal trainer.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 6:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdang View Post
    Greco/Sambo/Judo etc etc
    According to early NHB tournaments, wrestling > striking. If you are proficient in wrestling you should defeat most opponents on the street. Wrestling will get you fit, you would also need to do some weight lifting to be proficient at wrestling so you will also be big, strong and scary looking, this would deter most trouble makers.

Whether you wanna learn how to strike after that is upto you.
    This. There is a certain amount of "hardness" that comes with 5 or 6 hours of hard rolling every week, and you can definitely notice it. I can't really explain it, all I know is that after starting BJJ, my neck and shoulders got thicker, my jaw seemed to get squarer, my waist got smaller, and I finally got calves. My forearms swelled, and when I had to toss a drunk frat boy out of the club, my heart rate did not go up at all, I was no longer scared of being attacked. BJJ is based in reality, and I knew that I could REALLY choke most men if I wanted.

You not being scared is exactly what an attacker does not want. Who wants to fight a guy who's calm, level-headed, and ready to fight? I mean, good luck getting a drunk idiot to back down, but if you don't rattle at all, they will bluster and then disappear, I've had it happen to me. Some guy got right in my face, screaming bloody murder, and I simply said, "Listen. You DON'T scare me." He postured for a second and then crumbled, and walked down the street.

I'm not trying to say I'm a badass or something, I'm saying that I really feel like alive grappling training was the factor in that confrontation, and that martial arts is sometimes more than just hurting other people. Wrestling IS fighting, and if you're already fighting all the time, well **** it, what's one more?

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    3/16/2010 7:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Damage View Post
    This. There is a certain amount of "hardness" that comes with 5 or 6 hours of hard rolling every week, and you can definitely notice it. I can't really explain it, all I know is that after starting BJJ, my neck and shoulders got thicker, my jaw seemed to get squarer, my waist got smaller, and I finally got calves. My forearms swelled, and when I had to toss a drunk frat boy out of the club, my heart rate did not go up at all, I was no longer scared of being attacked. BJJ is based in reality, and I knew that I could REALLY choke most men if I wanted.

You not being scared is exactly what an attacker does not want. Who wants to fight a guy who's calm, level-headed, and ready to fight? I mean, good luck getting a drunk idiot to back down, but if you don't rattle at all, they will bluster and then disappear, I've had it happen to me. Some guy got right in my face, screaming bloody murder, and I simply said, "Listen. You DON'T scare me." He postured for a second and then crumbled, and walked down the street.

I'm not trying to say I'm a badass or something, I'm saying that I really feel like alive grappling training was the factor in that confrontation, and that martial arts is sometimes more than just hurting other people. Wrestling IS fighting, and if you're already fighting all the time, well **** it, what's one more?

One should still train some form of striking, even crappy BJJ school Muay Thai.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123