Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    547
    Style
    shorin ryu/bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    a pleasant surprise

    Was at the local book store and found a copy of Judo Unleashed by Neil Ohlenkamp (who i recognize from the Matt Morton investigation) so I picked it up...looks like a great source of info, and I look forward to reading it.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    119
    Style
    Legalese
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was and still is, my primary book for Judo. As a beginner, it's fantastic. All Judo books should follow its example of showing clear, large, dynamic photographs of all throws. But it is a little lacking in the Ne-waza sections, as only the techniques themselves are shown, without explanations or demonstrations of entries. Furthermore, the sample techniques for turtle turn-overs are limited, and there is very little mention of passing the legs (guard).

  3. #3
    MMAMickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,742
    Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a great book, particularly useful for putting a name to the throw that just ipponed you.

    It is only really useful for standup fighting, but the pictures are definitely explanatory enough that after seeing ko uchi makkikomi in there I was able to go and use it in randori
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:


  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    547
    Style
    shorin ryu/bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So far i am enjoying it. I actually recognize alot of the throws, and the foot placement illustrations help also. There is a page of entry drills and he covers 3 methods for entry which is nice. As a striker i like throws to unbalance my opponent after crossing the gap and throwing a few hand or foot techniques. Alot of versions of the lapel choke, but no triangles and very little from the bottom position, but thats ok, thats why i cross train. All in all I think its excellent and will continue to use it as a reference manual.

  5. #5
    MMAMickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,742
    Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscodog View Post
    As a striker i like throws to unbalance my opponent after crossing the gap and throwing a few hand or foot techniques
    you use throws to unbalance people? Most of us use throws to throw them.

    .. From a striking perspective the ability to clinch offensively is a very useful addition to your skillset, and stops you getting raped as fast by good grapplers. I am assuming this is kinda what you were goin for?
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:


  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    547
    Style
    shorin ryu/bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes thats what i was going for, and not all throws or sweeps are from a clinch position. Actually sprawling drills really helps strikers versus a clinch game im my opinion. If you clinch you have by default played to the grapplers strength.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    62
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscodog View Post
    So far i am enjoying it. I actually recognize alot of the throws, and the foot placement illustrations help also. There is a page of entry drills and he covers 3 methods for entry which is nice. As a striker i like throws to unbalance my opponent after crossing the gap and throwing a few hand or foot techniques. Alot of versions of the lapel choke, but no triangles and very little from the bottom position, but thats ok, thats why i cross train. All in all I think its excellent and will continue to use it as a reference manual.
    Thanks. I'm glad you are enjoying it and find it useful. The way major publishers work they only give you so many pages, so an author has to choose what to include. Once I decided to try and include every throw that didn't leave much room. But fortunately there are many books on groundwork available now, and for judo books this one was revolutionary because of the modern color photography. Just getting judo books into the major bookstores was a hurdle until my book came out. Anyways, thanks for the feedback.

    http://judounleashed.com

  8. #8
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,358
    Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoSensei View Post
    Thanks. I'm glad you are enjoying it and find it useful. The way major publishers work they only give you so many pages, so an author has to choose what to include. Once I decided to try and include every throw that didn't leave much room. But fortunately there are many books on groundwork available now, and for judo books this one was revolutionary because of the modern color photography. Just getting judo books into the major bookstores was a hurdle until my book came out. Anyways, thanks for the feedback.

    http://judounleashed.com
    It's an honor to have you on the board sir. I hope you don't mind, I requested the Judo and instructor tags in light of your status.


    Thanks to Steve on the staff for getting the tags turned on so quickly.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oahu
    Posts
    173
    Style
    Transitioning as usual
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoSensei View Post
    Thanks. I'm glad you are enjoying it and find it useful. The way major publishers work they only give you so many pages, so an author has to choose what to include. Once I decided to try and include every throw that didn't leave much room. But fortunately there are many books on groundwork available now, and for judo books this one was revolutionary because of the modern color photography. Just getting judo books into the major bookstores was a hurdle until my book came out. Anyways, thanks for the feedback.

    http://judounleashed.com
    Just wanted to say your Judo book was the first one I picked up and was a major help to my first week of Judo a few years back. Wouldn't have picked up nearly as fast.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    62
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Boss View Post
    Just wanted to say your Judo book was the first one I picked up and was a major help to my first week of Judo a few years back. Wouldn't have picked up nearly as fast.
    Glad to be of service. I hope you find my web site helpful as well at JudoInfo.com -- the oldest and most popular judo site online.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO