Page 21 of 22 First ... 11171819202122 Last
  1. #201
    BadUglyMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    387
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post

    It's their game.

    And here we get down to the rotton egg at the bottom of our dustbin: That those who have collected more currency are demonstrating some sort of fittness.

    As if Bill Gates were one thousand times smarter than Ed Witten (or even half as smart). As if Patty Hearst,, or Dougie Kenedy, or Amschel Mayor James Rothschild (late of France, grand patron motor racing) recieved their wealth through any doing, action or characteristic of their own.

    Evolution without natural selection is mere heredity.

    Money is not fittness, money is the power to destroy. The inheritence that most impacts your chances to survive and reproduce is more likely to have an executor than a nucleotide code.
    I may be completely missing where you are headed now, even so,


    Wealth may be inherited, genes are inherited. So it is mere heredity. If a person inherits wealth it is another tool that may or may not benefit that person.

    I can agree with the general idea however, the points seem to over look the reverse side of the coin in that accumulating and selectively spending/ investing wealth may allow you and your descendants the ability to change your environment. Sure the environment may not be caveman comfortable. The point is that your family is provided an advantage over others without it. It is an extra tool.

    IMO, the use of the Rothschilds in context of your arguments is incorrect. The family history provides an excellent example of adaptation to environment and creation of a larger and superior familial organism. Reading quality works on the family may give you a different perspective. On how you view the individual family members, probably not.

    Also, when that money is expended on excess consumption of whatever, it is being redistributed to those who make that consumption possible.

    Besides, if they die of consumption of material excess or drug consumption, they may have effectively removed their genes from the pool.

    Of course if you just hate people who have more, thats cool too.


    Shouldn't this go to Sociocide?
    Last edited by BadUglyMagic; 3/13/2010 4:38pm at .

  2. #202
    Jim_Jude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread needs a cull. War Wheel whines too much...:laughing3
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

  3. #203
    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Matt Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,753
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    This thread needs a cull. War Wheel whines too much...:laughing3
    Hey, we're all whining. I just happen to be whistling my own tune.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


    KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

    In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

  4. #204
    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Matt Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,753
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BadUglyMagic View Post
    I may be completely missing where you are headed now, even so,


    Wealth may be inherited, genes are inherited. So it is mere heredity. If a person inherits wealth it is another tool that may or may not benefit that person.

    I can agree with the general idea however, the points seem to over look the reverse side of the coin in that accumulating and selectively spending/ investing wealth may allow you and your descendants the ability to change your environment. Sure the environment may not be caveman comfortable. The point is that your family is provided an advantage over others without it. It is an extra tool.

    IMO, the use of the Rothschilds in context of your arguments is incorrect. The family history provides an excellent example of adaptation to environment and creation of a larger and superior familial organism. Reading quality works on the family may give you a different perspective. On how you view the individual family members, probably not.

    Also, when that money is expended on excess consumption of whatever, it is being redistributed to those who make that consumption possible.

    Besides, if they die of consumption of material excess or drug consumption, they may have effectively removed their genes from the pool.

    Of course if you just hate people who have more, thats cool too.


    Shouldn't this go to Sociocide?
    I'm going to drop it, but I'll leave you with this: Rich people are like Neo in the Matrix. To paraphrase the Architech:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Architect
    Their lives are the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the nature of the monetary system. They are the eventuality of an anomaly, which despite my sincerest efforts I have been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony of ontological precision.
    Yes, I'm just bitching because I hate them for being rich. Who doesn't?
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 3/13/2010 7:09pm at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


    KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

    In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

  5. #205
    <plasma>'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,569
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Been through most of the thread. While this really is a topic for Sociocide, thread can not be moved between the two till the forums are merged. Everything been civil (in bullshido terms) and enough on topic that I am not going to cull any posts out at this time.

    Please stay on topic and refrain from YMAS style posting.

  6. #206
    misanthropic777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    233
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are the same as far as I know. 5.56mm (length), .223 caliber (diameter) if I am correct?
    No. NATO-spec ammo uses thicker brass, which changes the headspacing slightly but significantly, and NATO uses a different pressure calibration standard than SAAMI (the US standards organization) which results in NATO-standard 5.56x45 ammo often yielding higher pressures intended for a slightly longer chamber length due to the thicker brass. 5.56x45 in a .223-standard chamber can be unsafe.

    5.56mm/=.223; the 5.56 *should* indicate the diameter, the 45 indicates the dlength of the bullet (though tecnically the diameter is 5.70 mm or 0.224 in - the designation 5.56x45 refers to this specific cartridge). .223 Remington uses the same spec bullet but with a different spec brass case, hence the differences in cartridge case capacity and pressure.

    I think that because there is not really a standard naming convention for rounds it creates a lot of confusion. 9mm, 38 spcl, .357 magnum (3 digits WTF?), 44 magnum (whats a magnum and is it smaller because it has only 2 digits?), 45cal, even 45 long colt (is it a 45cal or 45 magnum? I am confused). Then you have shotguns with gauges which aren't very intuitive either. Don't get me started on rifles. 7.62 NATO isn't the same as 7.62x39 but it IS the same as a.308, which is close to the same size as a .303 which is about the same as a 30-06 which is much bigger than a 30-30, wait I think I forgot to carry a 1. See we could take this complicated crap, teach it in schools and get advanced math AND firearms education with one class! Probably get some interesting history classes in there as well.
    It's not that complicated, really.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliber

    .xx(x) refers to bullet diameter. The rest usually tells you the specific load designation so you can go look up the specs. Magnums are usually longer than the same caliber non-magnum so they can hold more powder, making them a hotter load. See 2 3/4" vs 3" magnum shotgun shells.

    The .380 (short, thin case), .38Sp (long, thin case), 9mm (short, thick case), .357 Magnum (long, thick case) spectrum is more or less the same bullet in a rimmed or non-rimmed case, with different wall-thicknessed cases to hold more/better powder. +P and +P+ cartridges use better alloys/powder to achieve higher SAAMI pressure ratings. The more faster-burning powder you can put behind bullet, the higher muzzle velocity and terminal ballistics coefficient you will achieve.

    Rifle cartridges are much longer than handgun cartridges to accomodate the longer burn time for the powder a rifle barrel allows.This increases their ballistic coefficient greatly. Couple that with soft-nose/hollowpoint bullets and the kinetic energy dump you achieve on impact is freakin' huge.

  7. #207
    Hooded Justice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Redmond, WA
    Posts
    926
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropic777 View Post
    No. NATO-spec ammo uses thicker brass, which changes the headspacing slightly but significantly, and NATO uses a different pressure calibration standard than SAAMI (the US standards organization) which results in NATO-standard 5.56x45 ammo often yielding higher pressures intended for a slightly longer chamber length due to the thicker brass. 5.56x45 in a .223-standard chamber can be unsafe.
    So I have an M4/Car 15 how can I tell if my rifle can safely take the 5.56x45 nato or if it should only have the civilian .223 shot through it? Or should I just make sure that I never buy ammo that is marked as 5.56 NATO to be on the safe side?

    BTW love the avatar.

  8. #208
    misanthropic777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    233
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooded Justice View Post
    So I have an M4/Car 15 how can I tell if my rifle can safely take the 5.56x45 nato or if it should only have the civilian .223 shot through it? Or should I just make sure that I never buy ammo that is marked as 5.56 NATO to be on the safe side?

    BTW love the avatar.
    What's stamped on the barrel, or listed in the manual? The manufacturers are usually pretty clear.

  9. #209
    Hooded Justice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Redmond, WA
    Posts
    926
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So while browsing my daily news sites I stumbled across this article: http://www.kuda1610.com/?p=6531

    The whole situation bugs me because it is very very grey. He did nothing illegal but he did something VERY VERY suspicious especially being a govt employee just being suspended. The idealistic side of me says "He has done nothing illegal and we all do **** that could be suspicious to other people, so leave him alone." But the paranoid survivalist instincts say "Dude, don't be naive. Getting canned and buying 2 pistols and a non hunting rifle within days seems like more than just comfort spending." I am torn between holding to my ideals and not being naive in the face of obvious facts.

  10. #210
    Wounded Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,841
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL, read the comments on that article.

    EDIT, lol:

    “The man who would choose security over freedom deserves neither.” – Thomas Jefferson
    Wasn't that Benjamin Franklin? That guy in the comments section just owned himself.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Page 21 of 22 First ... 11171819202122 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO