Sponsored Links Spacer Image

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 7:51pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Taking a 4 day tactical handgun course...should I get a CCW & concealable holster?

Front Sight had a huge discount recently on their tactical courses, and I've decided to take a 4 day defensive handgun course with them.

As I've started to plan this out and think about it, though, I wasn't sure if I should get a CCW and concealable holster for this or not. At this time, I don't have a CCW, and my holster for the 1911 I'm planning to bring is a competition-style one.

So I began to think if the course is supposed to be all tactical and realistic, should I go and get a CCW, and a concealable holster? I'm not sure because that might be kind of like the tail wagging the dog. Even if I had a CCW I still wouldn't carry in day to day life, seeing as I'm prohibited from carrying on the job, and although I don't know because I don't have direct experience everyone seems to claim that a full-size 1911 is too big to carry concealed. I'm not sure I believe it but enough people are saying it that it makes me wonder if getting the CCW and concealable holster and mag pouches would be too much of a pain in the ass to be worth it.

The alternative, I guess, would just be to buy a normal hip holster for the 1911 and stick it on the gun belt I normally use for competition, and not conceal anything. Open carry FTW! The other nice thing about that is that I could probably have like 8 magazines on my belt all ready to go. Seeing as the mags are 8 rounds anyway you probably want at least 8 mags for training simulations, right?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2010 10:35am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin - I teach concealed carry, and I feel that if you don't think you would carry, then why spend the money to do it. Now, having said that, I tell alot of people who are on the fence, that having your CCW permit gives you the flexibility to carry, if you ever choose to. If you never do, then cool, but if the day comes where you think, "if I ever carried, today would be the day", then cool, you can do that do.

As for a holster for your class, I would just take a good plastic paddle holster. That's just me, as I know there will lots of thoughts on such matters.

Have fun, and please post some kind of review of your training if you would. I have always be curious about Front Site.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2010 11:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Ronin,

I am an NRA instructor as well. I would say, "yes" go ahead and get your CCW permit - you may find you want or need it one day. But no, I wouldn't go drop money on a new gun.

For one thing, taking a new (and possibly unfamiliar) gun to a class can be problematic. I'd take what you know and is proven so you can focus on the skills they are teaching. You'll probably be able to look at other students and instructors guns while at the class and that may help you decide what you want to eventually buy.

Whether or not you can conceal a 5" 1911 has a lot to do with your body, your dress, and how you carry yourself. So carrying a full size gun is not out of the question. You just have to experiment.

Personally, I would go for a good concealed carry holster and belt. I'm looking at it this way: *If* you do ever decide to carry or suddenly find you "need" to carry, your comp holster probably won't be what you want. So why not go ahead now and get something you want and actually use it during the class. That way you can learn what works for you and what doesn't.

Having to clear concealment puts your drawstroke into a whole new light. If they allow this, you'll be at a disadvantage from all the guys that show up wearing their tactical thigh holsters, but you'll be getting a lot more out of it.

Have fun.

Edited to say:
    You can get a pretty good kydex (either owb or IWB) from Blade Tech or comp-tac for a reasonable amount. Get a good stiff belt (I like he Wilderness style stuff) and you're set. I've found it's OK to skimp on the mag carriers for your classes.
    Last edited by autospike; 2/17/2010 11:47am at . Reason: Add shit

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2010 12:35pm

Style: Ninjutsu/Isshinryu/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin,
    I'll echo the previous posters and suggest you get your CCW permit. Before getting my carry pistol and inside the pants holster, I kept my full size Glock 21 in a belt pack. While not the most accessible way to carry, at least this gave me an option.

I know it is obvious, but great skill at double tapping is useless without a firearm....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2010 2:15pm

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something nobody has said about CCW/CPL and it may not apply outside of WA state but at least in WA state having a CPL allows you to bypass the mandatory 8 day waiting period for pistols. So I pay $40 every 5 years and I get to take my guns home same day as I am mad enough to buy them. JK about the last part but it really is nice to not have to wait a week to take a pistol I just bought to the range.

As for carrying the 1911 I say go for it. I say if you are gunna carry, carry open. I wouldn't go with the 8 mags in the belt as that appears a bit... Silly. It is the same reason I don't have a huge problem with bans on high cap mags and full auto. What kind of John Woo protracted gunfights are you planning on getting into?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2010 2:26pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you read the course syllabus for what you need?

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    2/17/2010 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooded Justice View Post
    Something nobody has said about CCW/CPL and it may not apply outside of WA state but at least in WA state having a CPL allows you to bypass the mandatory 8 day waiting period for pistols. So I pay $40 every 5 years and I get to take my guns home same day as I am mad enough to buy them. JK about the last part but it really is nice to not have to wait a week to take a pistol I just bought to the range.

As for carrying the 1911 I say go for it. I say if you are gunna carry, carry open. I wouldn't go with the 8 mags in the belt as that appears a bit... Silly. It is the same reason I don't have a huge problem with bans on high cap mags and full auto. What kind of John Woo protracted gunfights are you planning on getting into?

Was going to mention this as well. A great benefit if this is true as well in the OP's state.

I'm a fan of the paddle holster myself. The paddle goes inside your pants and the holster rests on the outside on your hip. It works good if you don't have a belt but actually works better because you have the pressure of the hip against the paddle AND the belt of your pants supporting the weight of the gun. Not so hot for elastic (sweats, track pants, etc) bottoms unless you can tighten the elastic material.

Posted On:
    2/17/2010 4:51pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm kind of leaning towards the conclusion that open carry is stupid.

Posted On:
    2/17/2010 5:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Open carry is just asking for trouble in troubled neighborhoods. I too agree that open carry can be a bit ... dumb in certain situations, but I like it nevertheless. Personally, I'm a bigger fan of the CCW rather than the open carry simply because of the lack to problems you'd run into with open carry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2010 3:36am

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    I'm kind of leaning towards the conclusion that open carry is stupid.
    I like to think that open/concealed carry is sort of like the effective difference between unmarked and normal cop cars driving on the freeway. What probably keeps people from speeding and driving like idiots, the idea that an unmarked cop might be out there or the knowledge that the car 3 cars behind you is a cop. Visible deterrent as it were. However I am also of the opinion that because you can doesn't mean you should.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast