Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 9:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tai Chi/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a question of comparative benefit. Is one form of calorie restriction better than another, and are there benefits from various forms of fasting that are not contained within calorie restriction in general. At the moment I don't think there's a clear answer, but:

-Not eating for 24 hours is sometimes incredibly convenient
    -It is cheap, easy and simple
    -It seems that the Growth Hormone changes might be dependent upon not eating anything for some period of time and may not be a function of calorie restriction in general; I think there is Growth Hormone release * Time relationship.
    -Other hormonal changes not covered might also depend on this
    -There's a certain kind of high you get from not eating (prob related to hormonal effects)
    -You get to re-evaluate your relationship with hunger

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 7:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah but is the whole growth hormone thing significant enough to make any difference in strength? particularly seeing as it is restricting calories and I'm training in one form or another 6-7 days a week
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 10:16am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if there's an answer to that yet.

This is related- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19197210

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 2:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The few articles I've read on intermittent fasting indicate these possible benefits:

-moderate calorie restriction over a long period of time may increase life expectancy
    (fasting is one of the methods to do this)
    -short-term fasting causes your body to use fat storage more readily and/or improves metabolism

Has anyone found past/current research which provides clearer answers to these claims?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 12:33am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrogantBastard View Post
    -moderate calorie restriction over a long period of time may increase life expectancy
    (fasting is one of the methods to do this)
    There is a plethora of research on this; Pubmed is your friend

-short-term fasting causes your body to use fat storage more readily and/or improves metabolism
    Despite sometimes evolution screwing the design of the human body, more often than not it gets it correct. This is what fat is for, to be used when we have nothing else to eat. So the first part of your sentence here is completely true, but should be worded better, i.e., "A deficit in calories causes hormonal changes which enables the body to more effectively/efficiently metabolise fat for energy."

However, the second part of your sentence is poorly defined. What do people mean by "improves metabolism"?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 11:13am

Style: MMA: (kick)boxing,BJJ,SG

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys, not meaning to necro this thread but the search option on this forum didn't give me much more than this so if you're keen to know:

My understanding of IF (or at least one form of it) is to fast and consume little more than water for about 16 hours, and using the remaining 8 hours of your day to consume all your calories and your nutrients. So you're not actually starving yourself, you're just narrowing down the timeframe during which you eat. I've read numerous accounts of people who've tried this and gained great results so I might give it a shot soon. I'm sure in the end it comes down to having enough good nutrition but this idea goes in against the popular idea of a small meal every couple hours which according to this theory is an unnecessary waste of energy, and this form of IF seems to have a few health benefits. There's a guy on youtube who has kept a video diary of his progress. A link to his profile can be found below:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BjornGranum

And an article below. Be sure to read the comments. There's a lot of articles like this to be found if you search for "Intermittent Fasting" on google.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/

Otherwise, just look around on bodybuilding forums and other health or MA forums.

Hope this helps,

cheers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 1:34pm

Style: Karate/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I state now that I'm know dietician/nutritionist/etc..

But IMO I don't see how starving yourself thin will make you a better fighter.
    If anything you'll be damaging yourself, in respect, hunger pains hurt for a reason and I don't know about the rest of you bullies but my concentration and temper suffer.

I personally do my best to eat right and healthy while training for 5-6 days and have a nice binge one day a week :new_Llol:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 1:51pm

Style: MMA: (kick)boxing,BJJ,SG

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAd MMAx View Post
    I state now that I'm know dietician/nutritionist/etc..

But IMO I don't see how starving yourself thin will make you a better fighter.
    If anything you'll be damaging yourself, in respect, hunger pains hurt for a reason and I don't know about the rest of you bullies but my concentration and temper suffer.

I personally do my best to eat right and healthy while training for 5-6 days and have a nice binge one day a week :new_Llol:
    You're not starving yourself, you're just eating everything within a shorter period of time, many who try this report not feeling any hunger during the period of fasting. But eating right and healthy is the main goal ofc, regardless of the times. It comes down to personal preference.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123