Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by default View Post
    competition is the quality control of any martial art.

Quote of the day!:notworthy

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You say you're not looking for "competition" styles, but pretty much everything you said you're looking for is covered in the big combat sports we're always talking about here(boxing, judo, muay thai, etc). You may be mistaking "competition" to mean shitty TKD/karate point sparring nonsense.

Also, you should add kyokushin karate to your list of styles to check out. A LOT of their training involves standing there and letting your partner pummel you in one form or another, just to get tough enough to fight bareknuckle in tournaments. I did it for a bit, and at least once a week we'd line up against the wall with a partner and take turns punching each other in the stomach for a full round, and then switch. And every class started with crunches while sensei would walk around and randomly thump you in the belly with a kendo stick. Class ended with us laying down and letting our partner give our stomachs open-hand slaps for a full round.

That's just to give you some detail. Any of the styles recommended in this thread are a solid choice for what you want.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    You say you're not looking for "competition" styles, but pretty much everything you said you're looking for is covered in the big combat sports we're always talking about here(boxing, judo, muay thai, etc). You may be mistaking "competition" to mean shitty TKD/karate point sparring nonsense.

Also, you should add kyokushin karate to your list of styles to check out. A LOT of their training involves standing there and letting your partner pummel you in one form or another, just to get tough enough to fight bareknuckle in tournaments. I did it for a bit, and at least once a week we'd line up against the wall with a partner and take turns punching each other in the stomach for a full round, and then switch. And every class started with crunches while sensei would walk around and randomly thump you in the belly with a kendo stick. Class ended with us laying down and letting our partner give our stomachs open-hand slaps for a full round.

That's just to give you some detail. Any of the styles recommended in this thread are a solid choice for what you want.
    Damn dude, that's intense. That is definately something I would want to look into maybe in a year when my abs can handle it, right now my stomach is like a bowl of jelly, so it would probably kill me. When you did this kyokushin karate class were you already in good physical shape or a pot belly like myself?

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any of the above really. It all depends what you want to do, look around for a few clubs, figure out which one is the best for you, stick with it.

Krav Maga is the only other thing I could suggest, but even then you need to find a proper teacher, the wrong teacher, teaching you bad techniques will get you killed, especially if you try and do a botched knife/gun defence.

My two pennies.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalak1989 View Post
    Practical non-competition.
    Good luck with that.

Anyway, after your search has failed miserably, try one of, or even combinations of, these practical competition arts.
    Boxing
    Muay Thai
    Sanda
    BJJ
    SAMBO
    Judo
    Wrestling
    MMA
    Kudo
    Kyokushin Karate

And others.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kyokushin karate won't teach you how to avoid being punched in the head.
    Although neither will most grappling arts..

Style
    taekwon-do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you really dont want to compete though I strongly recomend you do judo is great at teaching how to get away from ppl attempting to grab you wich most attacker do I attended an open seminar was taught a basic throw and I actually managed to use it in a real fight 2 weeks later from only 10 fucking minutes of practicing it.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In that case, you're better than 99% of the Judoka that I know, including me.

Just waiting for the paperboy. supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Well, I have....

In almost every case, someone tried to grab me (I guess they thought I was going to run away,) and pound me. Kinda like a hockey fight. They never knew what hit them, and it was so easy to power bomb them it was scary.

Foot sweeps are HUGE in that "real fight" thing.
    sweet!
    im going to make hot coco, uncle Tripp will tell more stories!
    im surprised some pple are dumb enough to actually grab you, its not like you're a small delicate guy.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn dude, that's intense. That is definately something I would want to look into maybe in a year when my abs can handle it, right now my stomach is like a bowl of jelly, so it would probably kill me. When you did this kyokushin karate class were you already in good physical shape or a pot belly like myself?
    Decent shape from being active for most of my life, but nothing special. He would take it comparatively easy on people who were newer and not in fighting shape. Besides, if your abs can't take it to begin with, they'll be able to soon enough once you start training.

Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last