Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 8:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Combat Jiujitsu in Winnipeg ?

Hi all,
    Looking for info on Combat Jiujitsu in Winnipeg.

FIRST OFF PLEASE ONLY ANSWER THE QUESTION IF YOU KNOW OR HAVE TRAINED THERE.

Please dont fill this thread with things about Chris Bissett how he is a fraud, lied about his acheivments, etc. I dont care if he is a fraud.

Heres my questions.
    Is the school and the instructor, think his name is Many Ruiz any good?

Do you feel that you are learning techniques to handle youself in a street fight, like Krav Maga, Hand 2 Hand combat, etc? I am not lookineg for a sport, true self defence (allowing pretty much things that are illegal in MMA matches). :icon_mrgr

thx

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 8:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to make some general observations, which you can reject as you will.

First, when the system uses terms like "Combat" in the title, you can expect it is more often than not; bullshido.

Second, the street vs sport debate is kinda done to death around here. When someone is pushing the idea that somehow MMA, because it is a sport with rules, is less deadly than some "kill or be killed" system, either that person is dumb or stupid. There is nothing wrong with dumb, we all are about things we don't know. But to be able to learn, yet refuse to, that is stupid and stupid gets people killed.

The BEST way to handle yourself in a street fight, is to learn how to avoid the problem in the first place. The second best way is to learn how to de-esclate a bad situation so it doesn't become a street fight. Paladin Press sells an excellent video by Bill Kip on this subject.

Finally, the LAST resort is to repel the attack. No matter what anyone on the "we don't do sport" tells you, the BEST and MOST EFFECTIVE way to train is in a martial sport. If you can not learn to apply your techniques in a real time, full speed, full power arena, you will not be able to use them on the street. Boxing, Kickboxing, Wrestling, Judo, Jujitsu (BJJ/GJJ not the BS so called japanese Jujitsu stuff,) etc. A legit Sambo school that offers Sport, Combat, and Combative training would be the very best.

From what I just said, you could now answer your own questions....
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 9:21pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this really MABS worthy?

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 9:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't place them, I just reply to them....
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 9:27pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not having a go at you Mtripp. There is now two low content threads by this guy in MABS and one looks suspiciously like a guerilla advertising campaign, the other like a decoy. This one seems to be the advertising one.

*EDIT*
    I might retract the last two sentences, it looks like this guy is just going through the martial arts section in the Winnipeg Yellow Pages.
    Last edited by battlefields; 3/08/2010 9:31pm at . Reason: See above.

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 9:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, it was a poor attempt at humor...

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 9:44pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't get me wrong, I got the humour. Just being in MABS and not wanting infractions (especially since my "rep" is dismal) I thought I would keep my serious face on.

YMAS, please, Mr (or Ms, Mrs, etc) Moderator, sir (or ma'am)?

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 9:50pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr Bogus, why do you not care if Chris Bissett is a fraud? As you have provided no links to the school you are talking about and because I am a known google- phobe, what is Chris Bissetts link with the school? If he is linked and you have already requested we not talk about Chris Bissett, it would seem as though you are asking us to discount something that is an overwhelming factor in our determination of the quality of the school. Is that what you are asking us to do?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 10:26pm

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was able to find a listing for Bissett Combat Jiujitsu in Winnipeg, but they do not appear to have a site (one is listed in a local directory but it redirects to a placeholder page).

Apparently Bissett runs a number of schools across Canada and the US
    http://www.bissettjiu-jitsu.com/index.html

The affliates section lists the Winnipeg school, but the link only points to a directory listing, which would appear to confirm that they have no site of their own.

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 11:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand battlefields point.

What I meant was in another thread years back people really went nuts for him and against him, but they were debating the accomplishments that he claims to have (pilot, 7th degree belt, special forces etc.) This went on for pages.

I was just looking for people who have trained at the Winnipeg school. Bissett does not teach there and I heard some good things about the head instructor (think his name is Many Ruiz) I was hoping people from Winnipeg would weigh in on the subject.

Just because Bissett may or may not be a fraud about certain accomplishments doesn’t mean he doesn’t know jiu jitsu, it just means he has poor moral character.

I got bitten by a McDojo when I was young and naive so I am asking questions to people who have trained there, whether the stayed or left.

I have no other agenda as someone said earlier.