Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 4:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Gentle Art / 3P Teaching Model

Hey, guys. One of my primary instructors at SBG maintains a BJJ blog called "The Gentle Art", and it's really just fantastic, I figured I would pass it along. His name is Cane Prevost, he's a brown belt under Matt Thornton, it's possible that some of you may be reading this already. I did a search, and couldn't find any links, so here it is.

http://caneprevost.wordpress.com/

The reason I get so much out of Cane's classes, as well as his blog is that his teaching style is really unique. He (I believe) invented the "3P" model, or "posture, pressure, possibilities" of teaching. Here's a direct link to his explanation of the method, and the process by which it was created.

http://caneprevost.wordpress.com/201...-of-technique/

This method allows every student to learn something every class, even if it's only correct offensive or defensive posture from the position. In Cane's classes, when he finally shows the sub or reversal from the position, it has this sense of inevitability which is really fantastic, because your posture is correct already. This is especially obvious if there are a ton of beginners in class, they get really excited about the fact that they can legitimately pull of subs against resisting opponents from the position. It makes them happy, and they get excited about coming back to class next week.

Anyway, enjoy. There's tons of stuff in there for instructors, as well as low belts like myself. Also, check out the "How to Be a Dick While Grappling" post, funny stuff, and so true!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 4:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a video from Cane's channel where he shows a great Z Guard pass. I absolutely KILL with this move, it's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWqcy...ayer_embedded#

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2010 12:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when performing the z-pass, is there a reason to insist on controlling the head with the left arm? Wouldn't the arm (opponent's right) suffice for control?

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    3/09/2010 12:52am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 12 View Post
    when performing the z-pass, is there a reason to insist on controlling the head with the left arm? Wouldn't the arm (opponent's right) suffice for control?
    You would sacrifice pressure (no shoulder pressure) and your posture were you to pull on the nearside arm.

Under or overhooking the head allows you to maintain your pressure/posture while taking away the opponent's ability to shrimp by breaking down his posture (bend his spine) and flattening him out (2-for-1).

I do a variation of this pass which works great for my body type. Thanks for the blog link Bone Damage.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2010 1:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    You would sacrifice pressure (no shoulder pressure) and your posture were you to pull on the nearside arm.

Under or overhooking the head allows you to maintain your pressure/posture while taking away the opponent's ability to shrimp by breaking down his posture (bend his spine) and flattening him out (2-for-1).

I do a variation of this pass which works great for my body type. Thanks for the blog link Bone Damage.
    I see your point. It seems to me that overhooking the head would allow your opponent to go belly down and get to his knees. How would you stop him from escaping in this direction? Also, it seems likely that your opponent would block your hand if you tried to wrap the head. In this senario could you salvage the pass by keeping the near arm?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2010 2:19am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will sometimes sneak my hand deep under the back of their head and grip the gi, then do the hip switch explosively and pass. You can really catch your opponent unawares with the hip movement.People feel really safe in Z guard, especially if they get a bite on your arm. Also, it's pretty easy to combine this with a smash pass if they keep contact.

If I have a deep crowbar type grip behind the neck, and I pass and they go belly down, that's fine with me. I'm taking the back with my bow and arrow choke, I actually get that one from transitions like that a lot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2010 4:25pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wanted to chime in & say that Cane is a fantastic coach.

The "3 P" method, along with the "I" method & the idea of Aliveness, is one of those things that a lot of people probably do to some extent. What makes Cane's work special (& this is true for a lot of what comes out of SBGi) is that he can clearly articulate how & why we do these things so that not only coaches benefit, but also students gain a valuable insight into how they're learning.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 3:39pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cane is a great guy and I don't know how I missed his site for so long.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 5:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SBG-ape View Post
    I just wanted to chime in & say that Cane is a fantastic coach.

The "3 P" method, along with the "I" method & the idea of Aliveness, is one of those things that a lot of people probably do to some extent. What makes Cane's work special (& this is true for a lot of what comes out of SBGi) is that he can clearly articulate how & why we do these things so that not only coaches benefit, but also students gain a valuable insight into how they're learning.
    I agree, but there's more to it, I think. As a coach, he has no ego. He routinely will call bullshit on techniques he taught just 6 months ago, if he himself hasn't been as successful as he'd like with them. He encourages students to not take his word for it, to put the technique into their game and see for themselves. He asks if anyone has any questions 5 or 6 times every single class. He is never anything but serene. Ironicaly, through Aliveness, he seems to have attained many of the more "personal" goals of TMA's, ie, humility, inner peace, lack of ego, wisdom, etc.

And, he rolls every class, with anybody. His top game is completely stifling, it really, really sucks being on bottom with him. His posture is so rock solid it gets claustrophobic. And he knows how to roll. There's an article on his site about "How to Roll", see it here.

http://caneprevost.wordpress.com/200...2/how-to-roll/

His thoughts on rolling have really influenced me. I feel like he's articulated what the goals should be when rolling with guys (and gals) of varying skill levels. I find rolling with guys that I know I can beat to be supremely satisfying these days, because I can trust the jits, and work on those elegant, effortless transitions. I've been out for a couple weeks with a torn intercostal, and that's what I find myself missing the most, that surrender to the jiu jitsu. It is always right, after all.

You're totally right about what separates SBGi. It's not what they teach, but more how they teach, and they way they force you to make your learning personal and take responsibility for it.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 11:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wanted to give this thread the bump that it deserves. I've been reading his blog for about 6-12 months and it is greatly changed my game, my outlook on BJJ, how I train, how I teach, but also how I learn. I'm constantly looking for the posture and pressures before dealing with the actual submission, sweep/reversal, etc. I've used this model to help other student get better at positions (the Guard) and situations (problems passing the Guard) and I have seen a remarkable difference in their ability to retain, implement, and incorporate what I show them.

He has also changed how he records the information by doing it during class so you can see how he teaches the classes. You learn a lot from this method because he will show in the videos the problems students may have, the questions they ask, and the direction the class may take based off those problems and questions. Instead of the traditional "instructional" format of "here's a technique, here's it done, here's some details, next technique" you really feel like you are there in class learning as well.

One sad thing is that, due to a mishap with Youtube, many of the video links don't work. Cane is currently working on re-uploading many of the videos as well as possibly re-shooting other stuff. This will probably take some time. Regardless, the articles are still there and they are great. I recommend everyone head over and show their support.

http://caneprevost.wordpress.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast