Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 2:05am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

All That Ceremony Junk

Forgive me if this is in the wrong spot, still getting used to things. Reading through Bullshido and seeing some bagging on all the ceremonies and stuff some martial arts come with. Does anybody, besides me, actually ENJOY that junk? I mean, I love the formal bow in at the start of my judo class. Gets me in the mood to learn. I guess some part of my brain is reminded of how long this stuff's been around and reading the history of it and junk.

A bit of a random thought, but I was just curious. Anyone actually enjoy some of the ceremony and whatnot?

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 2:07am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get plenty of that in voodoo thank you very much.

Well, I did until that prick Gabriel Knight showed up. No one left for me to roll with

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 2:31am

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't mind the bowing and respect aspect, but I do dislike much of the formalities.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 2:58am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A bow isn't anything special really, its just like shaking hands or tapping gloves if you look at it. Its nothing more than a greeting in Japan, China, what have you but if you like to bow then bow.

The thing I don't understand is why some people don't like using sensei. It's used for damn near everything in Japan; doctors, teachers, coaches, basically anyone who knows more than you and maybe is in a position to educate you. Probably due to it being frequently being translated into master.

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 3:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It kinda rubs me the wrong way because playing up the ceremony is used by larping japano/sninophiles to distract people (including me) from the bullshit. But I try not to think about it as long as I have fun and my skills progress.

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 3:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA, Kickboxing,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not as much as I personally dislike it, but the arts I've trained with a lot of ceremony also had the most people that were unfocused and douche bags. These days I train in arts with little ceremony and it feels more like people are there because they are genuinly interested in learning the art, and not so occupied with playing samurai etc.

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 3:32am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I needed to speak to the instructor of the judo class my first lesson. I bowed and used sensei to address him. The way I see it is, in judo particularly, a black belt has been earned, the title indicates teacher and that is what the black belt signifies. It helped That he was Japanese. I understand the japanophilophobia (copyright?) but it's judo, not some larp tastic ninjer ****.

I felt wierder saying "sir" to my TKD instructor, made me feel like I was back in catholic school. I used to call him kwangjangnim.

Then

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 4:11am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think if there is a balance it is good

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 7:32am

Style: Jujutsu, learning Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We bow a fair bit but that's at the start, changing partners and at the end, so it not really that much compared to some arts I've seen.
    I personally find it aids concentration since we are fairly casual at my dojo, but each to their own.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 7:52am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bowing in and out of class isn't 'ceremony junk.'

standing for two hours (after training for four) so some really fucking old guy can direct an awards ceremony just the way he wants, then bowing and tracking him like a goddamn compass while he wanders off is 'ceremony junk.'

good fucking god i'm glad i'm done with that ****.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast