Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    Posts
    188
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Opinions of Judo

    I have been doing Judo for the past few months, for the most part it has been a smooth transition from Hapkido to Judo, with much of my previous training still being applicable. Tonight we were doing from standup sparring, up untill this point I have only gone against White belts and black belts so it was a nice change to go against coloured belts.

    The point being is I was going against and orange belt. He had a considerable weight advantage so he was just picking me up and dropping me, but I did notice something when I went to attack he dropped to what I can only call a horse stance. This was not some weak defensive move, but one of the most solid horse stances I have ever seen in my 12 years of martial arts. He was just unmovable, I was wondering if this is very common and how to move him.

    Just a final thought, I didn't get this from the white belts or the black belts but the colour belts seem to be grabbing my wrist a lot to break the grip. Please do not grab the wrist of somebody when you do not know their past martial arts experience, it takes energy to fight muscle memory.

  2. #2
    marcusdbrutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast Canada
    Posts
    1,552
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral00 View Post
    when I went to attack he dropped to what I can only call a horse stance.
    He'll be heavy to the back. Tani Otoshi his fat ass.

    Quote Originally Posted by feral00 View Post
    Just a final thought, I didn't get this from the white belts or the black belts but the colour belts seem to be grabbing my wrist a lot to break the grip. Please do not grab the wrist of somebody when you do not know their past martial arts experience, it takes energy to fight muscle memory.
    Don't be a penis please.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Burnaby B.C.
    Posts
    3,034
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral00 View Post

    Just a final thought, I didn't get this from the white belts or the black belts but the colour belts seem to be grabbing my wrist a lot to break the grip. Please do not grab the wrist of somebody when you do not know their past martial arts experience, it takes energy to fight muscle memory.
    Grip fighting is a huge part of judo shiai and a bit in randori. Wrist locks aren't. You'll have to learn to deal with it.

    Obligatory cliché judo is cheap, effective and widely available.

  4. #4
    TheRuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Not Canada
    Posts
    4,334
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral00 View Post
    Just a final thought, I didn't get this from the white belts or the black belts but the colour belts seem to be grabbing my wrist a lot to break the grip. Please do not grab the wrist of somebody when you do not know their past martial arts experience, it takes energy to fight muscle memory.
    That's too cute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    Posts
    188
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was not planning to wrist lock him or anything, I just wanted to get some frustration out. But it does take conscious thought not to lock him up. I am hoping this will go away after a while, its just this was the first time it happened.

  6. #6
    marcusdbrutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast Canada
    Posts
    1,552
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral00 View Post
    I was not planning to wrist lock him or anything, I just wanted to get some frustration out. But it does take conscious thought not to lock him up. I am hoping this will go away after a while, its just this was the first time it happened.
    I had been boxing for almost 10 years before I touched Judo, and it did not take conscious effort not to punch people when the opportunity arose. I kind of just didn't do it.

    If someone tried to wrist lock me in Judo mind you, I would absoltely without hesitation punch them in the face.

    Also, seriously. Learn some throws other than hip and shoulder. If he's on his heels and bending down low, take him on a ride backwards. Tani Otoshi, Osoto Gari, Kouchi Gari, you name it.

  7. #7
    Ka-Bar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    1,924
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral00 View Post
    Just a final thought, I didn't get this from the white belts or the black belts but the colour belts seem to be grabbing my wrist a lot to break the grip. Please do not grab the wrist of somebody when you do not know their past martial arts experience, it takes energy to fight muscle memory.
    Yes, I can imagine the immense amount of mental fortitude it took you to keep from tossing those judo green belts around with your deadly hapkido wrist grab counters.

    Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    Posts
    188
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Bar View Post
    Yes, I can imagine the immense amount of mental fortitude it took you to keep from tossing those judo green belts around with your deadly hapkido wrist grab counters.
    Hey even if i know I can't do a wrist lock on him, or even be guarenteed its going to work, it is nice to have the opportunity, to know that in extremely rare cases somebody might grab my wrist and all the techniques I thought were useless could possibly work, maybe.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Burnaby B.C.
    Posts
    3,034
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusdbrutus View Post
    Also, seriously. Learn some throws other than hip and shoulder. If he's on his heels and bending down low, take him on a ride backwards. Tani Otoshi, Osoto Gari, Kouchi Gari, you name it.
    Don't you mean O ouchi gari?

    YouTube- judo-o ouch gari

    YouTube- Kouchi Gari (Instruction)

  10. #10
    Ka-Bar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    1,924
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral00 View Post
    Hey even if i know I can't do a wrist lock on him, or even be guarenteed its going to work, it is nice to have the opportunity, to know that in extremely rare cases somebody might grab my wrist and all the techniques I thought were useless could possibly work, maybe.
    Emphasis mine.

    Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO