Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 9:34pm

Style: taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucard619 View Post
    Reason I ask is because if there is no sparring or very very light contact then that's not a good sign.
    Having said that if the school is guff then even if your doing full contact your still just doing full contact larping.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 7:35am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alnwicktkd View Post
    Having said that if the school is guff then even if your doing full contact your still just doing full contact larping.
    No, she wouldn't be.

If you're going to be posting anti-Olympic TKD idiocy, go elsewhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 11:57am

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the hell is guff? Or is that a typo for something else?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 12:07pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guff equals Nonsense.

Psst google would have answered the question in the same time it took you to type the question.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 2:48pm

Style: taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    No, she wouldn't be.

If you're going to be posting anti-Olympic TKD idiocy, go elsewhere.
    My comment does not contain a single world slating olympic TKD as pointed out by IIF by guff I mean not very good school not style I am fully aware that there are good olympic schools out their .
    If I have something to say about olympic TKD I'll say it outright.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 1:17pm

Style: Kendo & Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alnwicktkd View Post
    More accurately, if the school is lousy, even if your doing full contact, you proabably won't be very good.

If the sparring is WTF/olympic, it would just be a school who's students fare poorly in tournaments.

Not sure where larping comes in.

Daniel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2010 1:50am

Style: -TKD--BJJ-

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey I have a similar problem when I moved far from my dojang (which used to be 1block away) I asked my teacher if he could let me off the contract but he didn't he only "froze it" so I could save up and pay for it, I got pissed I have Judo at a near by University, 10th planet bJJ/Muay Thai, 3 san soo schools, a Krav Maga/ Karate, 2 Gracie Bara BJJ schools (with in 25 miles) AND IM STUCK WITH A F**KING CONTRACT( I TOTALLY GET THE RIPPING THE CERTIFICATES AND PICTURES) I went on craigslist and got some mats ( punching bag, grappling dummy) for the garage and found some people to teach me/grapple and spar with. I asked around and at work I haave a D1 Wrestler,an Old man who is basically a master in Tai Chi (yang style), 3 Vietnam Vets (2 Marines/ 1 Army) and one of my good friends comes over and teaches me Judo (hes a brown belt+ HS. Wrestler) I was learning a lot of new things and then got "home sick" and decided that I would try to go back once a month since I'm a "PROVISIONAL BB" witch means I have the basic knowledge for BB, but to be a BB I have PAY A TEST FEE+ write a thesis including my auto-biography, history of korea and my stlye+ Forms+1 step+ spar+ presure points+ board/brick breaking+ PAY/attend 5 "private classes" on saturdays for "deadly techniques" ( f**k that) Im gonna stick with my "rag tag" training I wont get ranks or belts etc. but these guys really push me, and they dont let me get away with just doing a form and breaking a board, its trail by fire, I love it, I'm usually sore with bruises and bloody noses ( usually mine cuz im a TKD guy I was shown to drop my hands and kick... any ways bro I HAVE NOTHING BUT LOVE FOR MY OLDSCHOOL, But if you have to find your own "style" and all you have is your punching bag its better than not doing anything at all. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU WANDERING TAOIS "a journey of 1000 miles begins with a footstep" TAO TE CHING # 64

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2010 2:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetsamurai View Post
    hey I have a similar problem when I moved far from my dojang (which used to be 1block away) I asked my teacher if he could let me off the contract but he didn't he only "froze it" so I could save up and pay for it, I got pissed I have Judo at a near by University, 10th planet bJJ/Muay Thai, 3 san soo schools, a Krav Maga/ Karate, 2 Gracie Bara BJJ schools (with in 25 miles) AND IM STUCK WITH A F**KING CONTRACT( I TOTALLY GET THE RIPPING THE CERTIFICATES AND PICTURES) I went on craigslist and got some mats ( punching bag, grappling dummy) for the garage and found some people to teach me/grapple and spar with. I asked around and at work I haave a D1 Wrestler,an Old man who is basically a master in Tai Chi (yang style), 3 Vietnam Vets (2 Marines/ 1 Army) and one of my good friends comes over and teaches me Judo (hes a brown belt+ HS. Wrestler) I was learning a lot of new things and then got "home sick" and decided that I would try to go back once a month since I'm a "PROVISIONAL BB" witch means I have the basic knowledge for BB, but to be a BB I have PAY A TEST FEE+ write a thesis including my auto-biography, history of korea and my stlye+ Forms+1 step+ spar+ presure points+ board/brick breaking+ PAY/attend 5 "private classes" on saturdays for "deadly techniques" ( f**k that) Im gonna stick with my "rag tag" training I wont get ranks or belts etc. but these guys really push me, and they dont let me get away with just doing a form and breaking a board, its trail by fire, I love it, I'm usually sore with bruises and bloody noses ( usually mine cuz im a TKD guy I was shown to drop my hands and kick... any ways bro I HAVE NOTHING BUT LOVE FOR MY OLDSCHOOL, But if you have to find your own "style" and all you have is your punching bag its better than not doing anything at all. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU WANDERING TAOIS "a journey of 1000 miles begins with a footstep" TAO TE CHING # 64
    How is this situation anything like an instructor at another club under the same governing body not recognizing the rank given by said governing body?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2010 7:13pm

Style: TKD Hapkido Judo Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SGHM View Post
    How is this situation anything like an instructor at another club under the same governing body not recognizing the rank given by said governing body?
    I think I see what he was getting at...basically just train with your buddies. Doesn't work for everyone because not everyone has people around them who are into MA's. Heck I can't even find a workout partner of any kind in this God forsaken town. I've been advertising on two local sites for a in-town workout buddy and have asked all my friends. Everyone apparently prefers to stay fat and lazy I guess. I know one guy who is active but all he does other than running is some MA that involves only the study of drawing the sword (yea whatever) and yoga. Yeah its weird I'm a woman with background in TKD, Hapkido, judo and weight lifting and can not even find a MAN in town who is a serious martial artist.

My only saving grace apparently is I'm moving back in a few weeks and have found a longtime friend still living there...yeah a 67 yr old woman who lifts weights and runs to work out with. Nothing wrong with that...nothing wrong with the age... I'm just saying its funny this country is so freaking lazy ... and what does it say when the ONLY workout partner I can find is not a young person...or even a man...but one REBEL 67 yr old woman. Oh and she said we can practice boxing together too as she said she beat up her nephew at it. YEE HAW finally someone not afraid to sweat. I envy you guys that have buddies to work out with and apparently live in a town where people will lift weights and spar and such.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2010 7:29pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where do you live/where are you moving? Maybe you just aren;t looking hard enough. At least in the US most places seen to have either judo, mma, bjj, or boxing -- SOMETHING alive and with real contact, within a 30 minute drive.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast