Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 3:22am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is mostly a question because I'm not familiar with TKD, but isn't a dan belt rank for competition and teaching? If its solely for teaching, yeah then her school or whatever, but if you're in the same sanctioning body, then how can she allow you to compete as something other than a black belt? That strikes me as bullshit--especially if I was your competition in a tourney.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 5:14am

Style: TKD Hapkido Judo Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SGHM View Post
    This is mostly a question because I'm not familiar with TKD, but isn't a dan belt rank for competition and teaching? If its solely for teaching, yeah then her school or whatever, but if you're in the same sanctioning body, then how can she allow you to compete as something other than a black belt? That strikes me as bullshit--especially if I was your competition in a tourney.
    Yea its for both. Like you should be wearing same belt for class and competition. You have a strong point. I'll probably not be in tournaments. But if someone in my situation did go to one and was qualified as a black belt, but was placed by a new instructor say at a blue belt level that could be totally unfair to the competition. Specially at gup level. I mean if you were blue would you want to compete against someone who had been in TKD for 6 years? Its also not fair to classmates if say a blue belt already knows all forms even past koryo and spare at a higher level than their belt suggests.

I'll do whatever the teacher decides IF I decide to go there next year. But I'm just saying its not fair on many levels and after all 1st dan is just a beginner level. Its only saying someone has basic knowledge of all gup forms and techniques and is proficient to a certain level. So it shouldn't be a big deal to let someone start at their 1st dan. I mean its not saying they are deadly or Chuck Norris. They always told us in class that 1st dan was just like starting over at white belt and all it meant was you were allowed to be taught more advanced techniques after getting the basics down.

Plus it does save someone years of boring classes being stuck with low gups and people who are just beginning to spar and study, etc. That's no more fun than being an older adult shoved in with the kiddie class.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 4:40pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have a Kukkiwon certificate for your rank?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 11:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I did. But I got pissed several years ago and ripped up all my rank certificates and old dojang pictures. What can I say...really bad feelings over the old school. She didn't care about certification though. She said I couldn't be BB at her school...period.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 9:12pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're registered with the Kukkiwon, you can be found by going to their website. You don't need to actually have the certificate on hand.

If she has different standards than the Kukkiwon, and you don't meet those standards and would like to learn from her, suck it up & put on a white belt.

If she is a Kukkiwon school & won't accept your Kukkiwon black belt...don't waste your time.

Who is this instructor?

What school?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 10:31pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't remember if this was asked but does this school seem like a good one? As in the standard of teaching and the curriculum?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 6:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucard619 View Post
    I don't remember if this was asked but does this school seem like a good one? As in the standard of teaching and the curriculum?
    It appears to be a good school at least they say they do things that I've not experienced at other schools- like not putting adults in a kids class and they are suppose to have different classes for different belt colors. Where I went before, I found it was difficult to learn advanced techniques as I got higher in rank because there were such fewer of us and they always spent the whole class teaching basic moves, one steps and gup forms. They had no black belt class so you were sorta on your own to ever learn anything beyond that. Also much of class was wasted on disciplining disruptive brats and trying to control all the developmentally disabled kids. (I refuse to pay $100+ a month if the entire class is going to be spent watching little kids have meltdowns.)

One thing that I dislike about this school at least on initial impressions is that it seems more Olympic focused though instructor swears they are also a traditional school. Other things to consider is if I move there how depressing will life be where I know no one in a area that is the armpit of the state. The town is ugly and crime ridden. The instructor said I could have 3 free classes, 1 being private, so I intend to take them up on that one day. Now will I have to buy a white lapel v-neck just to take the introductory class since all I have is black lapeled? lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 10:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You say Olympic style so presumably there is full contact sparring then right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 10:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucard619 View Post
    You say Olympic style so presumably there is full contact sparring then right?
    Yeah Olympic contact sparring with full gear she said. Why? My former school was not Olympic, but was full contact with no gear.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 3:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reason I ask is because if there is no sparring or very very light contact then that's not a good sign.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast