Sponsored Links Spacer Image

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 12:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    This doesn't apply to feral00 who misunderstood the OP. You realize, I'm talking to feral00 not the OP right?
    Yes, however I thought it would be of importance to OP, perhaps I should have quote-blocked better.
    All apologies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 4:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you changing styles?

I have gone from school to school, and I have never been charged an evaluation fee. That is bull **** IMHO. What I have had to do is come to class and after about 3 weeks they say we can give this rank.... and I take it. And in those cases I was changing styles (TSD to Shito-Ryu and Daito Ryu to AJA jujitsu). Once, I was working with these ITF TKD guys and they let me keep my rank, but after I had learned their curriculum for my gup level ( I was a 1st gup that point) I was asked to test for my equivalent rank. Basically their position was they would accept my rank, but I had to test for the same rank in their style before being allowed to progress in their style. I thought that was fair.
    In all cases, I was never changed some evaluation fee.

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 4:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Okinawa Kenpo Karate/ BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your both Black Belts so tell her that only way that she can evaluate your deadly skill is through a "Vale Tudo" style match

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 5:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franklinlvrz View Post
    Your both Black Belts so tell her that only way that she can evaluate your deadly skill is through a "Vale Tudo" style match
    Quick! scurry back to newbietown where you are safe!

..But seriously, save yourself the money, say '**** you and your expensive TKD' and go do some kickboxing. especially seeing as you clearly have an interest in it
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 11:20pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hhmm, that sounds a little odd. Honestly if your black belt is that valuable (which it rightly should be seeing as you had to train very hard for it) then to hell with this school and find another one. The fact she wants you to test for equivalency itself isn't wrong but putting you with blue and red belts coupled with a testing fee? Come on that just seems a little fishy.

My school doesn't do anything like that. If a black belt from a different school wishes to join we merely give them a date for an equivalency test. Certain exceptions though are given time to train and prepare for it.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    3/09/2010 12:04am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    evaluation fee = bullshit. simple as that.

if she wants you to leave your belt at home, then that's her rules. train there under her rules or hit the bricks.

besides, at my uncle's dojang, he has a guy who's been ready for black belt for a year now, but he wont test for belts unless his son is testing (he's also able to sandbag color belt tournys that way). everybody know's he's as good as the black belts. everybody respects his sparring. the only difference is that he doesn't get bowed to at the end of class and he doesn't get to line up with the instructors for warm ups.
    it doesn't matter to him because it shouldn't matter to anybody.

maybe you don't really want to train there. maybe you want to go do something different.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2010 7:06am

Style: Jujutsu, learning Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Charging you for an evaluation sounds like BS. We only evaluate if you want a Black Belt in our School and even then you just train and then pay the same as our students for a grading.

We let you keep your belt and just do the grading for that grade before you advance. We got a few browns from another school, they just re-tested Brown before they went for Brown 1.

Posted On:
    3/09/2010 10:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: traditional tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my school, we'd occasionally get transfer students from the WTF (we were ITF). They were allowed to keep their rank if they could prove they'd earned it - through skill test and certificate. We even had a 2nd Dan from a Tang Soo Do school come to train with us - he was allowed to retain his 2nd Dan (TSD and TKD being so closely related) - although he was made to learn all of our hyungs, step patterns, and upon learning all of them, he had to pass the test for 2nd dan in our system. All in all, it took him about a year to do, but in class he wore his black belt from his TSD school, he lined up with other black belts for warm ups and drill exercises, and he competed in the black belt divisions at tournaments. His TSD school was a contact school, so he had a little trouble adapting to our no-contact rules. During his first tournament, he almost knocked one of his opponents out, and he split another guy's plastic cup with a groin kick (illegal under our rules).

Now for someone coming in from a style much different - like a couple kung fu students we had, or someone from a Japanese karate style - they generally started at white belt. If they had some rank at their previous school, they were accelerated through the ranking in our school if they earned it. It's fairly easy for someone with experience in the MA to advance in another style - since there are only so many ways to punch/kick/strike.

Charging an "evaluation" fee is pure bullshit though. She's not doing you a giant favor by letting you into her school - YOU are her customer (remembering that a MA school is also a business) - if she is so insistent upon this fee, she should realize that she might very well be missing out on a lot more from monthly tuition/promotion/competition fees from you. Her loss.

While it's ultimately her school/her rules - making you give up your Dan level rank in favor of an intermediate rank, even if your evaluation shows that you should either keep your BB status or at least be an advanced color belt would be enough for me to walk away and find another school.

Good luck with your search for a new school. Maybe now is the time to try another art if you can't find a good TKD school willing to take you on.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    3/09/2010 11:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have kids in my classes that came in from other schools. they want to know about keeping their color belts. i let them, but i wrap a white piece of electrical tape around the end of their belt. when they get their next belt, or verify their current belt in our system, i take the white tape off.

if and when i get a black belt coming in, i'll do the same thing. s/he can line up with the black belts, but until they prove they earned the belt and didn't buy it, they are a white stripe belt.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    3/10/2010 2:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: traditional tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's an interesting take on how to do it, White Kimbo. We do have a student at my school who is either a transfer or got back into the swing of things from a long hiatus, who, for one reason or another, didn't have a uniform anymore. She wears a white belt, since she had to get a new uniform. She still takes her place with the other students of her kup level, and during hyungs and drill practices, she lines up according to rank and performs the techniques and hyungs of her rank. I guess our master is waiting for her to promote to the next level before giving her the appropriate belt color. IIRC, when she advances, she will become a purple belt.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast