Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 11:48pm

Style: TKD Hapkido Judo Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Does this sound right..what instructor said?

I inquired a few times at a different WTF TKD school in another state. I was told that she won't allow me to keep my black belt. She also said I would be charged a fee to evaluate me to see what rank I am at her school, but that most likely I would be put in the blue/red belt class which is like intermediate level at that school. I've never heard of being charged a fee to be evaluated just to join a new school. So the 6 years I studied TKD before was worthless I guess.

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 2:06am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't do TKD but I'm all for evaluating an "expierenced" new student sounds like a decent measure of QC. If some guy had a BB 15 years ago and has done nothing but eat and get fat since shouldn't he be reevaluated to see if he has retained his BB curriculum/"skillz"? As for the fee sounds like BS to me, but I don't know much about how this stuff usually works.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 2:34am

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems to me she is putting a little too much emphasis on rank, and maybe trying to make some extra money on a new student. But honestly I wouldn't let anybody take away by bb.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 3:29am

Style: TKD Hapkido Judo Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not so much her taking away my BB. Its more the fee. I think of it this way if she didn't evaluate me then I would be thrown in with the white belts and while I'm not as good as I used to be I'm sure I would intimidate noobs especially knowing the kicks and forms, etc. Not to mention I've also studied hapkido and judo and have a tendency to throw people during one step sparring like we did at my old school. Plus it would be boring to go through many years of classes again with beginners to get back into a BB class. Like I said I don't think I'm a MA hot shot, but also am not an absolute beginner even though I've been sidelined a few years from injuries and illness which I'm now strengthening from and losing a lot of weight. I'm currently doing kickboxing, interval training and weights at home, but want to go back to a dojang where there is more challenges and hopefully chance of learning new techniques.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 5:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** the belt politics.. are you doing kickboxing at a club? I can't tell if you're doing everything at home or just the weights
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 11:01am

Style: Taekwondo, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was never charged any evaluation fee by my current school AND they let keep my current rank at the time which was red/black. I had to show them that I knew what I was doing however. It also did not hurt that I knew half of their forms which I had learned myself (since my old school was on some made forms).

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 11:17am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral00 View Post
    It seems to me she is putting a little too much emphasis on rank, and maybe trying to make some extra money on a new student. But honestly I wouldn't let anybody take away by bb.
    Then stay at your school. Many arts make you start over regardless of your rank. No one is "taking away" your Black Belt, they aren't allowing the rank in their school.

Huge difference.
    TWT: your logic makes no sense. Intimidation? Whit belts? Who cares?
    The fee is the only thing I question. She should be able to see where you are at and start you there for free. Other than that, her school her rules.

If your rank is so important, find a school that will let you keep your rank.

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 11:19am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWanderingTaoist View Post
    It's not so much her taking away my BB. Its more the fee. I think of it this way if she didn't evaluate me then I would be thrown in with the white belts and while I'm not as good as I used to be I'm sure I would intimidate noobs especially knowing the kicks and forms, etc. Not to mention I've also studied hapkido and judo and have a tendency to throw people during one step sparring like we did at my old school. Plus it would be boring to go through many years of classes again with beginners to get back into a BB class. Like I said I don't think I'm a MA hot shot, but also am not an absolute beginner even though I've been sidelined a few years from injuries and illness which I'm now strengthening from and losing a lot of weight. I'm currently doing kickboxing, interval training and weights at home, but want to go back to a dojang where there is more challenges and hopefully chance of learning new techniques.
    If you're "kickboxing" is done at home then I don't see how you can claim kickboxing. I'd say you're just either doing bagwork or sparring w/ friends. In which case you're not a kickboxer, unless your friends drop coconuts from a tree while you do crunches, that means you are a badass kickboxer. If you take a class then i'll politely shut the hell up.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 12:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Then stay at your school. Many arts make you start over regardless of your rank. No one is "taking away" your Black Belt, they aren't allowing the rank in their school.
    If you are moving from your area, have the head instructor make calls to schools in the area you are moving, that way any questions about actual ability can be answered.
    Huge difference.
    TWT: your logic makes no sense. Intimidation? Whit belts? Who cares?
    The fee is the only thing I question. She should be able to see where you are at and start you there for free. Other than that, her school her rules.
    Agreed. Perhaps your current instructor places a greater value on forms and kata then other surrounding instructors. Or on belt material. Or.....practical applications. What value YOUR instructor sees might not mirror what a new instructor might. So either deal with it or find another school.

If your rank is so important, find a school that will let you keep your rank.
    If you think your rank is valid and within the accepted standards on other schools, for example you have competed in tournaments and showed well, then either have your instructor call and get it cleared away, go talk to the head instructor and make your case, pay the fee (which I wouldn't), find a school that will allow this or start from the beginning and let your experience do the talking.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 12:45pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    If you are moving from your area, have the head instructor make calls to schools in the area you are moving, that way any questions about actual ability can be answered.
    This doesn't apply to feral00 who misunderstood the OP. You realize, I'm talking to feral00 not the OP right?
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast