Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 10:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Constructive criticism for standing grappling technique demo

Speaking of BJJ instructional what do you guys think of this?

I filmed this with one of Bullshido's new member's Rome Za and his friend Alex 155.

YouTube- NYC Street BJJ

What would you guys say this video is lacking? What could we add to make it better?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 12:20am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry Squerlli, you were looking for constructive criticism but all I could think of was. Why the hell didn't he foom foom foom after pushing him back into stairs and throw some foot stomps to head after then do ing un pose.

In seriousness, have you considered doing a throw as alternative action? Was there enough space and grip setup would be good for say te guruma or foot sweep to right?

Also holding the camera steady more for next shoot of the series would help too.

Keep up the good work and I hope to see more.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 12:32am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its nice, make more!

I've actually never seen that Technique, as I don't really train for the street, I've learned some strange pressure point stuff but no street wrist locking.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 12:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What it lacks is any sense of what an attack on the street really looks like.

Sorry, but this is on par with any of what the bullshido people here jibe at for being too unrealistic. I'm sure you're about to include me in that equation.

So the wrist is going to bend just like that? The attacker isn't shoving him full force to the wall? Or beating him senseless to steal his stuff? If the guy is so weak or high that he can be supplanted so easily, whats the point of doing anything but throwing him down? This is supposed to be a street demo?
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 3/08/2010 12:42am at .
    I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and I see STUPID looking back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 1:07am

Style: CSW BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I dont think it was too bad at all, Squerlii. It looks like a good technique for someone who prefers smaller subtle show of force. But Like Babo said a throw would probably preferable.

What would you guys say this video is lacking? What could we add to make it better?
    If its something street your trying to do I would suggest mixing in different variables to the situation. Same scenario, friend to his side. Practice using the wrist locked victim as a barrier between you two, I think that would be interesting to see. Nice work on the vid btw.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 1:23am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    What it lacks is any sense of what an attack on the street really looks like.

Sorry, but this is on par with any of what the bullshido people here jibe at for being too unrealistic. I'm sure you're about to include me in that equation.

So the wrist is going to bend just like that? The attacker isn't shoving him full force to the wall? Or beating him senseless to steal his stuff? If the guy is so weak or high that he can be supplanted so easily, whats the point of doing anything but throwing him down? This is supposed to be a street demo?
    Surprisingly enough Hobos do like to grab people, this is fairly realistic, a rogue sucker punch is far rarer.

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 1:57am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In all honesty, and with no disrespect, this just looks like a wrist lock to me.

And by that, I mean "low percentage". More experienced grapplers can correct me, but I just don't see this happening.

From my experience, when people grab, they don't often (in my experience) grab gently enough for you to **** with their wrist (hence why aikido does not work).

It can work on the ground, and against people who aren't holding on for dear life. But (and this is conjecture) I imagine that dudes in a standing scrap just grab hard and start wailing.
    Last edited by 100xobm; 3/08/2010 2:00am at .

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 5:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree, the strength in the wrist isn't multi-directional.

In judo you can get your wrist bent if somebody does a good kuzushi and pulls you forward fast enough, and the guy demoing put his body into the othe guy's wrist. What is stronger, a wrist or someone's whole body?

That being said I'd like to see something from the point where the victim is against the wall, people tend to get pushed up against walls in enclosed spaces.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 5:25am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know I have nothing to say about the technique and what not. I'm sure its fine, etc. However with Rudy's initial statement there, I gotta side with the guy.

For demonstrations, you're always going to need a compliant person, but it can do without the acting, etc.

This is more personal taste as I hate seeing **** like the "foom foom FOOOM'ers" out there doing it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 9:57am

Style: Nin Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would of headbutted you in the face.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast