Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 6:40pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steve F is my teachers junior class mate and my teacher liked him.

This was almost 15 years ago I can't remember the details as you decribe it but I do know he was training against a kickboxer. Why would he be warming up with stand up if not? You can tell from the talk up everyone was expecting a better showing but steve had no training against grappling or take downs. It was obviously an eye opener.

If the write up is presented in another way its wrong and one would have to go to the promoter or Igore to verify. I don't remember who the named kickboxer was.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 7:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps Faulkner was originally slated to fight a kickboxer but it was changed to Jones later on. A few fighters were turned down at the border of Canada. The only fighter mentioned to have left the show last minute in the DVD's opening was Orlando Weit, and if he was fighting Faulkner that would've just meant that Faulkner would've been left without a fight.

Why would he be warming up with stand up if not?
    Maybe because he only knew how to train that way and thought he could win the fight using his own style, like so many other TMA guys back then? You have to realize that this fight took place circa 1995, and not everyone had caught up to this "cross-training" thing.
    Last edited by Holy Moment; 3/05/2010 7:45pm at .

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 8:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait a second.....

...you can clearly see him try and prevent the mount from side mount by taking a BJJ leg position. I am sure that is not in WC, so there must have been some discussion of ground stuff.

I don't know the history, and I am not commenting on that. I was being a smart ass earlier; but its clear he had knowledge, albeit limited, of what might happen on the ground.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 11:08pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Perhaps Faulkner was originally slated to fight a kickboxer but it was changed to Jones later on. A few fighters were turned down at the border of Canada. The only fighter mentioned to have left the show last minute in the DVD's opening was Orlando Weit, and if he was fighting Faulkner that would've just meant that Faulkner would've been left without a fight.
    The fight card is not something I can comment on, I just remember it was a kick boxer.

Maybe because he only knew how to train that way and thought he could win the fight using his own style, like so many other TMA guys back then? You have to realize that this fight took place circa 1995, and not everyone had caught up to this "cross-training" thing.

Maybe, yeah, sure.... if this was another WC family I would not have commented here. And yes, I realize when this happened, again, Faulkner is my teachers junior, his SiFu is my SiGung I at least paid attention to that. The hope was to show WC against another striker, it was his first match against a grappler. They would have brought in some grapplers to train with otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Wait a second.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post

...you can clearly see him try and prevent the mount from side mount by taking a BJJ leg position. I am sure that is not in WC, so there must have been some discussion of ground stuff.

I don't know the history, and I am not commenting on that. I was being a smart ass earlier; but its clear he had knowledge, albeit limited, of what might happen on the ground.
    Everyone in their camp admitted Steve had a concept of ground fighting but never trained for it. I think the results are similar to any upright fighter in his first match up against a grappler without proper training.

I am not making excuses for the man it is what it is just letting you know this was not an intended match.
    Last edited by chainpunch; 3/05/2010 11:20pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 11:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wing-chung < Anything. Yoga > wing chun. Local bag lady > wing chun.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/06/2010 12:19am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe, yeah, sure.... if this was another WC family I would not have commented here. And yes, I realize when this happened, again, Faulkner is my teachers junior, his SiFu is my SiGung I at least paid attention to that. The hope was to show WC against another striker, it was his first match against a grappler. They would have brought in some grapplers to train with otherwise.

There's a good chance that it could have ended up a grappling match, anyway. In the first Extreme Fighting event there was a fight that was billed as being between two kickboxers, but one happened to also be a Division I wrestler.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12