Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 12:33pm

Style: taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in london and have heard nothing about this at all. This kind of incedent would have received at least some attention especially with most of the national papers obsessing over "broken britain" these days that said the article does have some good points.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 12:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fucking fairy tail bullshit.

Provide evidence please.
    Quote Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
    Good example of this in UK recently
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/de...ar-cricket-bat

though I believe their sentences have since been reduced/quashed?
    Suspended.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/7044...seholders.html
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 3/07/2010 1:06pm at .

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 1:18pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just posted this poser over there.
    Three muggers were very seriously injured on a public street of London, in broad daylight. There was at least one eyewitness, and the police and ambulance services were all heavily involved.

Where are the newspaper articles? The television news story? A statement from the police?

Journalists are routinely all over stuff much more mundane than this… you’d expect at least a minor clipping from a local paper, if not full blown national coverage (broken Britain is so in vogue). So where is the EVIDENCE?

I’m sorry, until corroboration is offered, this is just pie in the sky at best. At worst it’s a masturbatory fantasy.
    Lets see how long until it's deleted...

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 1:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 3/07/2010 1:41pm at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 4:05pm

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    I am coming late to the dance; but in my never to be humble opinion....

1. The elbow break is possible, even probable.

2. The collarbone break is possible, but unlikely.

3. The sidekick breaking the shin bone is VERY unlikely and perhaps impossible.

Now, that said, there is merit to the discussion. Things like "when you disarm him, to the law the fight is over, you can't kill him with his own knife," are important issues because the law does see it that way. Of course the line is "I took it away from him, he tried to take it away from me and I knew if he did he would kill me with it," are important to remember.

But, my best suggestion. After such an event, is to say you are having chest pains, tell them you need to go to the hospital, AND KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT from then on. Just hold your chest and wince a lot.

Once there, they will notify your ICE (in case of emergency) from your cell phone and you should tell them to call a lawyer. Do not talk about the event until you have calmed down and you have had legal advise.
    They will only notify who you ask them to, they do not notify anyone automatically. My advice is the same STFU till you get a lawyer and don't use the duty stammering fool from the police station's list. If in doubt ask them who the local Police Federation lawyer is, they ussualy know who is a muppet and who can do the job.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 4:17pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alnwicktkd View Post
    that said the article does have some good points.
    Yes, because it is a TMA moral story. All of these "stories" have good points. That's not the issue many of us here have, it is the BS associated with the story.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 5:25pm

Style: Standup, Ground-fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hadoukened a little girl just for looking at me funny, but I don't feel guilty at all. So, the story must be bullshit. But don't assume Basho is a sucker! It's much more likely that he simply thought a ninjering tale on a prominant ninjering website would be good publicity for...

Wait, what did you have that black belt in? Do you do a lot of full range, hard contact sparring?

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 5:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Y'know, I don't think the author of this article gave any info regarding which style the martial arts instructor in his story practiced. Basho provided evidence of his own ranking in TKD, but no info regarding his subject's organization membership/ranking/certification/what-have-you.

Perhaps to, er, protect the man's identity...?

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 7:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Comments on the blog now require moderation... so much for the "comments welcome" bullshit.

I just posted this in reply to his reply to me:
    The martial arts world is replete with stories exactly like this one, most of them unsubstantiated or wildly exaggerated.

I’m not calling you a liar, I’m asking for corroboration. Expecting someone to take a tale like this at face value is unreasonable.

Given that so few muggers are ever brought to justice (according to the article you posted), the fact that in this case they were not only apprehended, but severely injured by their victim, means this is not a typical mugging story. You’d think in the current climate in Brixton (again, according to the article you posted), the press would jump all over this.

Regardless of press involvement, the police were involved, and they are required to leave a paper trail.
    Just for the record, I see exactly where this is going and I'm done wasting my time over there.

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 7:26pm

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm still not bothered by the press aspect, as I said not everything gets through and seeing as no one got killed it's a bit of a non story for Brixton.

Anyway, apart from the Bourne ninjering the fact that the assailants roll about on the ground until the ambulance rocks up stinks. You could wait 5 mins or an hour for one in Brixton in the middle of the day, plenty of time for three guys to get up, breakages and dislocations aside and get away. Also why would the cops tag paramedicts in the day time? Raymond didn't call the Police after all.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast