Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2010 12:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BETA Academy - Washington DC

I'll split this review into two parts, one for Muay Thai and one for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. They also offer capoeira and fitness classes, but I haven't participated in those. I'm still a relative beginner, so these reviews aren't as in depth as I would like for the more advanced classes.

Muay Thai
    Classes are 1 hour, offered everyday, although beginners classes are only offered on 4 days. Usually 10-15 minutes of warm-up, then the class is split by experience level (they do a belt system),a couple of 2-3 minute rounds, technique work and instruction, finished off either doing drills or with pad rounds.

Not really any sparring at the beginner level, but they do have a fight team that competes and sparring starts at around the 1 year mark. So I put the aliveness at 8 because it does happen, just not in the beginner classes. The most that really goes on in them is doing returns with focus mitts.

The instruction is good, I've done some one-on-one classes with senior students and they definitely know what they are doing. The instructor leads the class and does walk around (along with his wife, who is a Muay Thai competitor) and there are usually 2-3 senior students also observing.

Class size is around 20-30, and while it is a big space, it does get quite crowded and you have to watch where you're moving.

Equipment is decent, they have enough focus mitts/thai pads/shin pads/gloves to go around, but you are heavily encouraged to buy your own gloves/shin pads after a few weeks/months.

The only real negatives for me are how long they wait to let people start sparring and that they spend too long doing the warm-up/cardio for a one hour class. I can go to the gym on my own time.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    All the classes are taught by Nakapan Phungephorn, who is under Pedro Sauer.

In contrast to the Muay Thai classes, the BJJ classes are very alive. 15-30 minutes at the end of class are spent sparring and you can do it starting on your first day. Classes usually start with a small warm-up and some drill work (shrimping, rolls, etc). After that there is some instruction on the technique being worked on that day, then about 10 minutes spent practicing it with your partner, sometimes more. Then we do some alive drills (not really what you call them), for example one person starts in guard and they're trying to escape while the other person tries to submit them. That usually lasts for about 15-20 minutes and the rest of the time is spent sparring. Sparring in the beginner's class is limited to the ground, but starting in the intermediate class there is a small focus on takedowns and stand-up work.

Size again is a problem for this, I'll have to stop rolling to move out of somebody's way at least once per class.

Students are encouraged to compete starting fairly early on.

Instruction is good, but it's a new school (a bit over a year old), so there aren't a lot of instructors/senior students walking around correcting peoples form.

They say they offer no-gi grappling on the website, but that's mostly for the competition team. You are expected to buy a gi and the classes are taught with that in mind.

Because there's so much turnover, you don't really get a lot of personalized attention unless they think you are going to stay.

There's also a women's only BJJ class taught a by a purple belt.

It's not cheap, 3 times a week for Muay Thai is either 120 or 130 per month and if you want to do unlimited, it's 180. Add in BJJ and its a bit over 200. There's also a $50 sign-up fee, but I made them waive them when I signed up. The first Muay Thai promotion is also $40, free after that. But it's also one of the only places available in downtown DC. They're pretty understanding too, a lot of guys who can't afford it will do some extra work after class for a discount.

Let me know if the ratings aren't accurate for what I describe.
    Last edited by Xandu; 3/10/2010 3:13pm at .

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    3/10/2010 4:00am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I visited, the mat space was pretty damn big. Maybe a higher rating for size?

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2010 10:00am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    $40/class does sound kind of pricey. D0 you have to sign a contract?

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    3/10/2010 10:05am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd have to agree with Hedge, I've never seen the facility in question but I've given 4's to places that get cramped with a dozen people on the mat, not 20+
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2010 3:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll up the rating, it is decent size but it does get crowded.

Tideliar, you don't have to sign a contract, but it is more expensive if you don't. They seem to be lenient about letting you cancel if you've got a decent reason. It isn't $40 a class though. The base option is $130 a month for 3 times a week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2010 5:07pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doh, Math FAIL