Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 5:12pm

Style: Quanfa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would start by sorting your frame of referance out. Another poster's already pointed out the ridiculousness of the term 'brutal street attack' in regards to a serious question about self defence. Should I assume you've been reading WAY too much 'literature' based in the RBSD section of shitty MA magazines?

I'll assume for the purpose of an intelligent reply that you really mean: 'A level of physically violent confrontation I am unaccustomed to, taking place in an area within which I feel unsafe.' The reason I have selected this interpretation is that it's what your post screams at me. If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me.

In order to be able to defend yourself against this type of attack, you'll first need to put away all your Jim Wagner training aides, black belt magazine collection, and Captain Chris DVD's. Lock them in a small wooden box and burn it beneath a picture of Jigoro Kano. As the smoke rises to the awesome, awesome face of aforesaid man, chant quietly "I WILL look reality in the face, I WILL look reality in the face..." etc.

It's important to understand the myth of 'Brutal Street Attacks' if you ever want to be able to defend against what you think they might be. If you read alot of MA related material, you're going to have to face the fact that a good deal of the more accessible stuff is written to tantalise, excite and sell, and that the people writing it may well be LESS able to defend themselves than you currently are. This is not to say that violent crime doesn't exist, of course it does. My point is that you shouldn't be getting your information about it from anybody who frequently uses terms such as 'Brutal Street Attacks' (here on in referred to as simply BSA's).

The basic truth is that you can learn to defend yourself. Period. There are no secret methods of self defense that are applicable only to 'teh deadly street'. Likewise, you can learn to deal with aggression, but in my experience, if you're not willing to stand up to the blowhard office bully, there is very little material that will enable you to deal with much, much, more extreme levels of aggression from a total stranger.

There is a marketing myth propagated in almost all forms of media now that will say 'Don't worry, you don't have to get in shape, or man the **** up, or even bother looking at the most realistic threats you might come into contact with. I'll teach you a secret that you can learn in ONE HOUR which will make you an ultimate killing machine, who's full of confidence, never scared, and gets more ***** than Hugh Hefners dick even knows exists'. I assume you know that's bollocks?

This is step one. If you're worried about being attacked on the street, look into it properly, see what the most realistic threat to you is (i.e look up reliable statistics pertaining to violent crime based on your age, gender and ethnicity). Try to profile what may be danger areas. Avoid those areas. Also avoid sensationalistic reports and try to get a handle on what life might be like outside of your safety zone and the media. When that's done, try to get some type of assertiveness training, so you know when you're actually being threatened and so you don't have to fly off the handle like a cocaine fuelled luchador the minute you perceive aggression.

Step two is receiving realistic training. Realistic training means training 'alive' including sparring and a decent fitness regime. It also includes knowing how to deal with striking, grappling, and weapons. My personal recommendation would be to take up Boxing and Judo, but there are other arts that would do just as well. What you're trying to do is develop a decent 'delivery system' (yeah, I saw the straight blast link earlier) so that you can work techniques into it easilly and quickly. I don't have a lot of experience with weapon arts I'm afraid, so I can't help you there. Over here, it's illegal to carry guns, knives etc, but I would say that any weapon you do decide to carry should be one you are both willing and able to use, should the need arise.

And to reiterat Asia, don't buy into the confidence thing. Very large scary looking men are confident in potentially violent situations because experience and common sense tells them to be. If you want to be similarly confident, you'll have to learn how and when to fight first.

I apologise in advance for sounding condescending. I didn't mean to, but I guess being an arrogant prick who drinks too much comes across as clearly over the internet as in real life...

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 5:30pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Woah! True ninja styles. Who is this masked man battheo?

And why, after all those years obviously lurking, does he have WC in his style field?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 5:52pm

Style: Quanfa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, it's 'ninja grandmaster battheo' but I don't use the title much.

Ah... the old WC. Actually, that's about 6 years out of date. I should probably change it, but I don't really have anything specific to put in right now, so I just filled it in when joining and forgot about it. Suffice to say, a very large kickboxer and a couple of Judoka friends of mine helped me see the error of my ways a couple of years ago.

Shhh... don't mention the ninja!! They're watching me...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 9:33am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franklinlvrz View Post
    @Necroyunus

yea Man i agree with you, Confidence is Key in all aspects of life...

Turkey is no joke. With all of those weight lifters and champion oil wrestlers, you'd be crazy to go out there and talk ****...

Random question..In regard to style and technique, whats the diff between Yağlı güreş and greco roman wrestling?
    Well if you dont count the oil, if your belly looks up in the match you lose.

Also it is very often that people will elbow each other or do some minor strikes disguised as a grab, and people won't whine about it so it just goes on like this even that its illegal.

And also I think it depends more on strength then speed. People often wrestle slow, they dont hurry.
    Or like for example if somebodys eye feels like burning because of oil they stop clean their faces with tissues without giving up the position etc.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456