Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 11:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol, well let me know if you figure something out.

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 6:00am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was early to class today and found six guys doing MMA. Turned out I knew one of them from school and it turned out they were doing an informal session. So it can be done!

Also, while trying not to be arrogant about it, tonight I realized my BJJ training has given me two things. The first is my groundwork is way ahead of the game, I am one of the biggest there but there are two guys a little bigger and already ranked who I repeatedly pinned. Second is I'm too slow in setting up locks, being used to working for the sub opening I realize in judo I will need to be more aggressive and throw it on quick.

It was also a trip when I wound up on top and they would just give up. It took me a couple of times before I realized I had actually pinned them and in judo it was game over.

If I'm not making it clear, I fucking love judo. I also love bullshido for advocating judo.

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 6:10am

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I forgot an amusing anecdote about tonight, our instructor took the n00bs, me included, aside and gave us a run down of what we should expect from judo. I asked a few questions, more than anyone else, but they were legit questions about training and techniques, the instructor answered well and we were about to wrap it up when this full on n00b in his fresh crisp brand new gi asks, "do they do a suplex in judo?"

I thank god I'm not that guy.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 7:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Drunken Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I forgot an amusing anecdote about tonight, our instructor took the n00bs, me included, aside and gave us a run down of what we should expect from judo. I asked a few questions, more than anyone else, but they were legit questions about training and techniques, the instructor answered well and we were about to wrap it up when this full on n00b in his fresh crisp brand new gi asks, "do they do a suplex in judo?"

I thank god I'm not that guy.
    Well, there is Ura Nage...

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 7:19am

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the instructor mentioned that but the guy was obviously referring to pro wrestling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 10:04am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    Yeah it sounds like O-goshi, Hip Throw:

http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/ogoshi.htm

Seoi nage has 2 main variations, ippon and morote, that I know of anyway:

http://judoinfo.com/images/animation.../ipponseoi.htm
    http://judoinfo.com/images/animation...teseoinage.htm
    You forgot (kata) eri seoi nage.

I'm a morote guy myself. I don't really like kata eri. I suck at it, and I always feel unbalanced. I feel that with morote's hand placement on the right collar, that the weight of uke is more stable on my back, and it fits me better. I'll do eri if my uke is being a "$?%" and isn't letting me take his right collar (sometimes they let me take the left), in a last ditch scenario. Else, I'll throw morote like a mofo.

My university gym is kinda pants to be honest. Doing judo there would cost the same as my club, and that's only for judo. I kinda want to enroll in Aikido (Aikikai!) for major LOL, and just throw everyone on their ass in multi-person "randori".

I'll be LARPing hardcore but I'll look like a mega badass. Anyway, coolio on you for finding an awesome gym complex. Here is your next mission : get a couple's deal and get your fiancée to enroll in Judo with you.
    Last edited by kikoolol; 3/05/2010 10:08am at .

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 3:27pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a couple of chicks in class on Wednesday, one of them a qualified instructor, when I told my missus I said she should come and check it out her eyes glazed over. She thinks too much about what other people think, is too concerned with how she looks. Gets really frustrating at times because one of my first life lessons was **** what people think be true to yourself. Watching someone you love agonize over that **** when you've been flipping the bird to haters since a young age sucks, especially when you know it's detrimental to their mental health as well in this case their physical health.

I'll keep dropping the Hints though bro.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 4:30pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to tell you to just tell her directly, but I don't think you should listen to me, ever, when it comes to that ****. I'll just let you do whatever the hell you want without giving bad advice. I'll stick to the sidelines and encourage you from there, lol.

Why is judo a concern to her? Like, why does she think it would affect negatively the way people look at her? I'm curious.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 7:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if she doesn't want to do it for whatever reason, hassling her about it will only cause trouble. it's pretty common for girls to be nervous about things like martial arts (often because they're self conscious or whatever). if you gently work on her confidence over time it might work out though.

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 7:17pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been doing it steadily now for three years. I had her slightly interested in TKD a few years ago but I think that was more due to jealousy of the young chicks that trained with me. Then she realized they were too young for me and her insecurities faded. If she was aware of the male clause "they're only too young when it's illegal" she mightve taken it up.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast