Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 7:54pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Heaven near my new home...

I had my first lesson last night in Judo, fucking loved it. Unlike my old BJJ, we were seperated into white belts and coloured belts after some hectic warm ups and a few technique drills (we spent a good 10-15 minutes more warming up than I am used to at BJJ, due to this lesson being 2 hours, the BJJ only 1, I was sucking gas so fucking hard). At BJJ we just rolled with whoever and I consistently got my ass handed to me by the higher belts.

We did newaza for a bit, which played into my hands beautifully (muahahaha), I dominated a few of the white belts, a little through my size, a little through technique. This one guy, tall, thin and lanky had some ridiculous strength, was able to thwart my kimura attempts and nearly had me a couple of times, but each time I rolled with it and found myself back on top, finishing with an armbar. He asked me to show him some of the stuff I did, I just said I didn't know and that I supposed the only way to learn was to keep rolling.

We (white belts) were then shown seio nage (spelling?) but the Sensei singled me out and told me to use a variation where instead of both hands going for the one arm, I grip one arm and loop my other around his back. Can anyone tell me the name of that variation? Also, is there a particular reason he specified I should use that technique over seio nage?

This is where I get to brag a little. I thought the $14.50 per lesson a little steep considering my old BJJ class was $15 and judo is "cheap and widely available" to quote our illustrious forum. I asked about ways to get a better price, the Sensei told me to speak to the front desk. The class is run in and by the university Sport and Aquatic Centre. My fiancee attends this uni, which is across the road from my house. I spoke with the guy at the front desk and found that I could pay upfront for 10 lessons and get a discount. Fair enough, I thought. "Good deal", I said. "Better deal," he said, "monthly membership for you is $85, full access to EVERY class, gym, pool, everything the centre provides, for your student fiancee, $45, you could organise a couples deal and be even more better off, or pay for four months and be even more better off."

****. Off. Cheap. And it is a five minute drive from home, or a 25 minute walk through the university. I was and am so fucking happy.

I am just wondering, I never ranked in BJJ, but I have put a more than a solid few hours on the mat, should I say anything to the instructor? I didn't want the white belts thinking I was some natural grappler who **** all over them on my first lesson and I also don't want to come across like I'm bragging. I feel like it would be best if I don't say anything but I also don't want to put some complete n00b off the art. Thoughts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 8:41pm

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you....have betrayed bjj.....I add you to the blacklist

haha good for you man.Hope it works out good for you.
    I think you should be honest about your training with your instructor.

I remember when I first learned a couple of submissions and submitted some judo practitioners with it the instructor told me to teach some moves to her students.(so they can compare it to the judo moves etc)

And also, I (and many other people in my gym) don't like the people who just come in, say "I ve never did grappling before" and afterwards do all the rolls and warm ups perfectly and when they are rolling with people, go after submissions that are obviously have been studied before.

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 9:28pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did mention it to the head instructor over the phone, but he wasn't there last night and the instructor who was there seemed very busy looking after the whole class, so I wasn't about to interrupt him just to let him know I had experience. It might have come across as presumptuous, like I expected to be in with the higher belts. I will make note to speak to the head instructor on Friday night, Necroyunus.

One guy was talking up his creds, he'd done "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and heaps of other arts" and it came across as bragging, something I definitely did not want to do as he wasn't all that impressive on the mat where experience counts. I mentioned to him that I had done a bit of BJJ as the guy was from my old area and said he had trained around there. Turned out he liked to talk, I wanted to train so I eventually distanced myself from him. Another white belt was pretty cool, he asked if I had done something prior, so I said yes, but I'm not ranked in anything and we rolled and drilled. That guy was a good bloke.

There were a few dudes who were very tall, strong and athletic, I would probably be smashed by them easily. Walking around saying I had done **** before might make me a target. I've seen No Retreat, No Surrender. Seattle/ BJJ vs LA/ Judo, if you will.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 10:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a fun place and nearby and all that. I wouldn't worry about talking; you seem to have a fine attitude. To mention that you've trained is fine and you know enough not to go on about it.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 10:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My sons just entered college and I'm encouraging him to join the athletic center. He wants to get into boxing anyway, and you've got to love the value for money college gyms offer.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 6:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Drunken Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Always show your teammates what you got, i.e. your bjj moves
    2. It's Seoi nage
    3. By the description you wrote it looks like O goshi (lurk on it on youtube, see if I am correct)
    4. Welcome to judo

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 7:38am

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah it sounds like O-goshi, Hip Throw:

http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/ogoshi.htm

Seoi nage has 2 main variations, ippon and morote, that I know of anyway:

http://judoinfo.com/images/animation.../ipponseoi.htm
    http://judoinfo.com/images/animation...teseoinage.htm

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 10:16pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome, man! Wish I could start up Judo, as well! Alas, it currently clashes with my BJJ training (Uni Judo is Monday/Wednesday night, BJJ main nights are Monday/Wednesday). Hopefully be learning some, soon! Love the throws. I need to get Obesely to train me up, hah!
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 10:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds brilliant!

tell them what you've told us - some BJJ experience but no ranking. that's not bragging at all. like someone else here said, it sucks when someone says they haven't done anything then tool up the lower ranks.

do you know if they hold classes on weekends?

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 11:02pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, danno, the only classes are Wednesday and Friday evenings from 7-9, sorry bro. It would be cool if they did, I might even ask if they can, even if it is just an informal session or something. I'm sure gym members'd be able to use the mats as long as no classes are using them. Might be able to do a multi art get together to mesh ideas.

Now my brain is working overdrive on possibilities.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast