Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 6:49am

Style: WMA - German Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimnir69 View Post
    I would love to try out your new sword though. Do you feel that they can be used without upper body protection?
    We do so every week and I have inflicted no more than a few red lines with it. It doesn't hurt as much as the re-enactments swords either I am told.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimnir69 View Post
    Your new sparring sword looks great and I was actually talking with a club member about that exact hilt design yesterday. Would you mind telling me who made it and what the price was? The finger protection looks excellent. It looks like you can have excellent point control with that blade...
    It was made by Armour Class in Glasgow. The sword was 375. The hand protection is simply superb. They changed my original design to improve protection and tbh they were right to do so. Almost every aspect of the sword is excellent, I took a big risk when I commissioned it and was expecting something unusable in training but honestly I am finding it hard to fault. Except that is has shown that to be fast enough too use the weapon at full speed in am having to do more speed training and lose weight. Martial Arts is about finding out your own weaknesses after all.

Just saw your post so adding this.
    Blade length is 38" hilt length to pommel is 12" the pommel is 3"
    Last edited by Polar Bear; 3/05/2010 6:53am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 7:10am

Style: HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quite a big longsword then. In size it is quite similar to Pavel Moc's Lichtenhawer that I tried the other day and really liked.

It is the sword that can be seen here:
    http://www.nidingbane.se/shop/item_l...tem_id=licht10 139 cm in total, just an inch longer than yours. Feels almost like a 125 cm Violet.

I think they may be used here as well, at least I have been told so: YouTube- Lichtenawer`s Kunst des Fechtens

Ensifer's swords can be seen here: YouTube- Zornhau training - Lichtenauers longsword techniques and he also has longer versions, from what I understand.

Sorry to OP for getting off-topic!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 7:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah like those in the vid. just with better hand protection. I was inspired by an old pavel moc sword the "olmutz" when I was designing mine. Which might account for the similarity.

See these vids are martial arts videos. Nothing like the nonsense above.
    Last edited by Polar Bear; 3/05/2010 7:43am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 8:28am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    Prove it or it didn't happen.
    <sigh>
    Allen Reed, head instructor of Gallowglass, a LEO with more than a quarter century experience, holds a Kaiden rank in JuJitsu, has been researching and teaching WMA methods from Swetnam to Silver, to 'Hawk & Bowie for many years and is also a member in good standing in the SCA.

This is one example. There are dozens of others.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 8:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    <sigh>
    Allen Reed, head instructor of Gallowglass, a LEO with more than a quarter century experience, holds a Kaiden rank in JuJitsu, has been researching and teaching WMA methods from Swetnam to Silver, to 'Hawk & Bowie for many years and is also a member in good standing in the SCA.

This is one example. There are dozens of others.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    Yeah Gallowglass academy is a HEMA group not SCA I believe. So it's the other way. His HEMA experience gives him standing in SCA not the other way about.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 8:51am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah Gallowglass academy is a HEMA group not SCA I believe. So it's the other way. His HEMA experience gives him standing in SCA not the other way about.
    The point is that he is an active SCA member and engaged in good scholarship and research in WMA which is, if you'll recall, exactly what I claimed.

On the subject of HC, I agree that it is not historically accurate WMA. However, I believe there is a solid case for calling it Martial Sport. I know that it is intended to imitate medieval fighting but I've not seen any SCA HC that I thought actually succeeded. Nevertheless, HC and SCA sport rules aside, there IS good research and scholarship being done.

I LIKE the SCA and have friends in it. But because of the goals of HC, which include wide participation availability and exceptionally high safety standards, it is simply impossible for HC to look anything like historically accurate medieval combat. It is a medieval themed martial sport. But that doesn't stop SCA members from perusing historically accurate HEMA. Some have and do.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 9:39am

Style: grappling, swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Geez, shut off the computer to go to grappling training and catch a band at a bar and get a good night's sleep and see what you miss...

I have actually been informed and enlightened by what a lot of you have had to say here, and encouraged by some of the well-reasoned responses.

OK, I'm going to get all McLoughlin Report here...

The fact that there is a ruleset designed for safety means that SCA combat is a sport, just like boxing, kendo, wrestling, mma, kickboxing, savate, or anything else that happens in a ring, on a mat, has a ruleset, etc...

The fact that it is a sport in which people are fighting each other makes it a martial sport.

If the term "martial artist" refers to the degree of dedication on devotes to a martial activity, then you can be a martial artist when studying this sport.

And if one is an artist, then what one does is an art.

Polar Bear, I appreciate your dedication to WMA, your contribution to the understanding of historical technique, and the passion with which you pursue it, and I am sure you could wipe the floor with me, George Silver, Agrippa, William Marshal, Musashi, and Inigo Montoya without breaking a sweat, but take a chill, dude. You are protesting way too much.

And I'll continue to post a SCA video or two with every post.

YouTube- Duke University pt 1

YouTube- Asgard system sword drills and techniques 2

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 10:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In answer to some things about SCA combat brought up...

It is assumed that every fighter is wearing "a chain hauberk over a padded gambeson, with boiled leather arm and leg defenses and an open-faced iron helm with a nasal. The helm may be presumed by Kingdom convention to include a very light chain mail drape, permitting vision and resisting cuts by the mere touch of a bladed weapon" (Marshal's Handbook, 2008), no matter what the armor you are wearing looks like. Therefore no one should have to be hit any harder than anyone else, no matter what armor they're wearing.

Most armor weighs no more than 50 lbs, altogether, and most armor is not constricting beyond the burden of its weight. Some people wear more, some wear less. Some like to wear the exact armor of their medival persona (as much as possible by the rules), some go for the lightest armor they can find, some just like to look awesome on the field, some just want to get on the field.

The whole thing about fighting from your knees is this: "An effective blow to the leg above the knee will disable the leg. The fighter must then fight kneeling, sitting, or standing on the foot of the uninjured leg. Kingdoms may place limitations upon the mobility of such injured fighters" (Marshals Handbook, 2008 again).

The similarity of the weight and balance of the rattan weapons to their historical equivalents is really up to the skill of the maker of the weapon. While you can't do much about the wind resistance on a stick an inch and a quarter wide or wider, I have been able to perfectly match the weight and balance of my Paul Chen arming sword with rattan.

Incidentally, Polar Bear, Paul Chen's blunt swords are no heavier than the real thing.

Much of the technique came from trial and error and watching movies in the beginning (heck, in the beginning, 1966, folks were using fencing swords, broomsticks, axe handles, and the infamous Louisville Slugger with a roll of Scottissue duct-taped on the end, and wore reinforced saber masks and basketball pads).

The some folks used geometry and physics to try to figure out the fastest and most ergonomically efficient way to throw a blow and defend oneself.

Certain regions developed certain distinctive styles based on various factors including:

Attitude: Some fighters are more about aggression and toughness, hitting hard and developing tight, efficient technique.

Climate: In hotter regions, folks wore less armor, took lighter shots.

Values: Some felt that using large shields is an unfair advantage, so developed a mobile, fast style to compensate for their smaller shields.

Pedigree: A successful and charismatic fighter's style will be handed down among his followers and descendants.

Culture: In some regions, there will be a dominant style of shield or weapon characteristic of a particular medieval culture, and techniques will develop around that.

And yes, there are plenty of people who look at their Tallhoffer etc. and try to work out how that can apply to SCA combat.

And when we come to Pennsic and other big, multi-kingdom events, we get to meet our friends from far away and learn new things!

Yes, that's me in there...
    YouTube- Field Battle #2 at Pennsic 37, 2008

YouTube- Pennsic War XXXVII Bridge Battle 2 Ending
    Last edited by captainzorikh; 3/05/2010 10:20am at . Reason: Added videos

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 11:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainzorikh View Post
    Incidentally, Polar Bear, Paul Chen's blunt swords are no heavier than the real thing.
    Well that depends in which "real thing" you pickup. Some of the period longswords are heavier than a paul chen, some are much lighter. The ones that seemed better made were lighter and more balanced. The more munitions style swords were about the same. This is the same for backsword, rapier etc. Also you need to determine if the sword has been re-hilted. There are a myriad of factors you need to consider in assessing a sword design. I did that research and didn't just ask for something "lighter than a paul chen".

You this is Bullshido.com lad not iloveboffers.com you talk **** here, expect someone to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by captainzorikh View Post
    The some folks used geometry and physics to try to figure out the fastest and most ergonomically efficient way to throw a blow and defend oneself.
    Really. please give me an explanation of this. what is the most ergonomically efficent way to attack and defend oneself.
    Last edited by Polar Bear; 3/05/2010 11:25am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 11:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well that depends in which "real thing" you pickup. Some of the period longswords are heavier than a paul chen, some are much lighter. The ones that seemed better made were lighter and more balanced. The more munitions style swords were about the same. This is the same for backsword, rapier etc. Also you need to determine if the sword has been re-hilted. There are a myriad of factors you need to consider in assessing a sword design. I did that research and didn't just ask for something "lighter than a paul chen".

You this is Bullshido.com lad not iloveboffers.com you take **** here, expect someone to call you on it.

The SCA is not boffers. But you got me on knowledge of historical swords.

Really. please give me an explanation of this. what is the most ergonomically efficent way to attack and defend oneself.
    A ha, you try to catch someone by getting all detail-y on their ass and try to call their **** ****, eh?

First the usual disclaimers: All humans are different, what works for me may not work for you, there's as amny ways of throwing a blow as there are blow-throwers, fighting is not an exact science, blah, blah, blah.

For me, the most efficient way to get the most force from the least effort when trying to hit someone in the head with a stick is to start with your elbow away from your body and your sword hand near your face, thumb and forefinger grasping the hilt near the quillons and your other fingers open, with your opposite shoulder pointing towards your opponent. You bring your elbow across your chest and then close your hand like milking a cow.

Yes, punching forward with your arm and putting your hip and back into it will generate even more power, and no, you don't always have the opportunity to deliver this shot in every fight, but this is the fastest shot I know how to deliver and takes almost no effort at all.

Most efficient defense I know is a "heater" shaped shield, slightly curved, with the lead corner visually in front of your oponent's nose. with a quick jerk up, the left side of the head is covered. A little shrug down, and the leg is covered. pull it over the body up or down to cover the right side, and augument your defence with your sword.

Simple, efficient, works for me.

Look at the guy in red, Sir Richard Blackmoor. He is doing a very good job of efficiently throwing blows and defending himself.
    YouTube- SCA EK spring Crown Tournament 2009 Sir Richard Blackmore vs Seamus
Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast