Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 4:16pm

Style: German Longsword, HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since we're talking about international sword-related activities, anyone from America that's going to the WWOC in Germany in August should join up with 'Team America'. I'm not sure who's on it yet, but I know it'll be at least myself and Jake Norwood.

http://hemaalliance.com/discussion/v...lit=wwoc#p4041

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class31 days registered

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 6:58pm

Style: bjj, sca

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds interesting. Can you start a new thread and talk more about it? Is Team America for this event going to be having regional or national practices?

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 1:34pm

Style: German Longsword, HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are no team practices due to the nature of the event. The event is a one v. one type of tournament. As such, there's no overriding need to practice together outside of making everyone better individually. The concept is mainly about representing America as a unified group, but everyone is an individual fighter.

If you're near Florida, you can practice with my school in Tampa Bay. :)

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class31 days registered

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 9:51pm

Style: bjj, sca

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. I'm not near Florida, but this weekend I am in Springfield, Il with TeamUSA for Battle of the Nations. It is mostly made up of SCA folks. We put up a good showing in a little tourney held in Montreal last weekend, and we will be doing serious training as a national team tomorrow at the Fairgrounds.
  5. painbank

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 6:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

public opinion and BoN

I would like to revisit this somewhat as I am new to the thread and the site.

Topic 1 -

For those that were commenting here about how public opinion is affected by the SCA, well, that is total bullshit. I would say the same thing for how HEMA affects public opinion. Public opinion in my book is that of what the general populace believes it to be or not be. This is affected first and foremost by movies, with Ren Faires and your local Medieval Times venue than by anything ever done by the SCA and HEMA. The third influence is whatever was taught to an individual in an education setting and the opinions taught and an individuals desire to read more. This site and those familiar with WMA, HEMA or SCA are not the general populace.

Topic 2 -

The Battle of Nations (BoN) 2012 occurred recently and what brief info I gleaned from the site provides me with the belief that many here believe the BoN is SCA on steroids. i.e. a Martial Sport or Combative Sport. What is your opinion on the BoN format then? What about the performance of Team USA?

Achievements:
    Your first Group1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 7:06pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am just now looking at BoN and it seems way better at first glance.

Don't have much time now but it looks like a) steel weapons and b) some grappling

both of which are my main gripes with the SCA.

Achievements:
    Your first Group1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 7:10pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looked a little more; way awesome rules!

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 7:12pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by painbank View Post

The Battle of Nations (BoN) 2012 occurred recently and what brief info I gleaned from the site provides me with the belief that many here believe the BoN is SCA on steroids. i.e. a Martial Sport or Combative Sport. What is your opinion on the BoN format then? What about the performance of Team USA?
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=116246&page=1
  9. painbank

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 7:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes, that is a report, which I am not looking for. I am looking for your opinion on BoN in the context of the discussion which has raged on here. First your opinion on it please, then we can move back to the discussion about SCA is or is not a martial art.
  10. painbank

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 8:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

to egg this discussion on some

The majority of Team USA, who participated in BoN were SCA. probably like 75%. In that light, does it change the discussion at hand?

Of course that brings up the point of, is BoN fighting a Martial Art? It is obviously a Martial Sport as it is more than SCA and that has been generally agreed to be a Martial Sport or at least a Combat Sport.
Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 374344454647 48495051 ... LastLast