Page 46 of 52 First ... 36424344454647484950 ... Last

Thread: SCA Combat

  1. #451

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!


    One reason I am interested in Battle of the Nations style Full Contact Combat is that it seems to involve a lot of grappling.
    It's good to see SCA Heavy Combat actually get some major competition, hopefully with BoN teams trying to recruit from HEMA schools, we will actually see some decent varied matches come from it.

  2. #452
    WhiteShark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    9,167
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't understand how its cool to ignore full force sword strikes in that ruleset? I understand that they aren't stopping the other guy but are they supposed to be representative of sharp blades?

  3. #453

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    499
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's where the whole thing falls apart for me. Either it's a simulation of armored fighting (in which case none of the cuts would be debilitating & the focus should be on half-swording & wrestling) or the armor is merely safety equipment & it's a simulation of unarmored fighting; in which case a lot of valid blows are being ignored. The explaination offered earlier in this thread is that such events are meant to simulate fighting in minimal or early period armor, but plate is used for safety reasons. It still seems strange to me.

  4. #454

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    113
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I don't see this as "competition" to the SCA. Though their kits are gorgeous, I'm not really groving with the ruleset, as far as I can see. They are hitting each pother repeatedly with their swords, to no effect. It looks like the object is to get the person down, and the least effective way to do that (in this game) appears to be to hit them with the sword. A completely unblocked blow to the helmet from that falchion seemed to have no more effect than a snowflake! It's also intriguing that they have their shields strapped "Prince Valiant" style. I would be interested in knowing what their source is. It does look like they are trained in the technique they are using, but this is about as far from SCA combat as cricket is to baseball. Is it more historically accurate than SCA combat, what with its kicks, pommel strike, grappling, and throws? Someone start a new thread to argue that, if you want.

  5. #455
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,802
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron22 View Post
    I like the heavy grappling and am intrigued by the active use of the wooden lists (barriers), but I don't think that the style/rules make a lot of sense for armored sword and shield combat. I'd love to see these guys fighting with longswords, emphasizing halfswording, traps/disarms, takedowns/throws and unterhalten.

  6. #456

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,354
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SBG-ape View Post
    That's where the whole thing falls apart for me. Either it's a simulation of armored fighting (in which case none of the cuts would be debilitating & the focus should be on half-swording & wrestling) or the armor is merely safety equipment & it's a simulation of unarmored fighting; in which case a lot of valid blows are being ignored. The explaination offered earlier in this thread is that such events are meant to simulate fighting in minimal or early period armor, but plate is used for safety reasons. It still seems strange to me.
    We have been adding in a HEMA class to what we offer (some of us are hobbiests at it), and I agree with your view of the split in drills 100%. If we do armored sparring assuming we are armored, then its a lot of half-swording and grappling, which is fun. If its supposed to simulate unarmored fighting, we strip off some of the armor that is less needed (using more of a fencing setup but with joint protection) and assume that cuts will take someone out.

  7. #457

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    185
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TeamUSA for this year's Battle of the Nations is being organized and is mostly made up of SCA folks, but I would love to see some HEMA/WMA folks join up as well

    http://www.usaknights.org

    But to bring this closer to the main topic, here is a trailer for a new documentary I shot this past summer and should have done in a couple of months...

    http://youtu.be/vNeiqu4uhEY

  8. #458

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    113
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron22 View Post


    One reason I am interested in Battle of the Nations style Full Contact Combat is that it seems to involve a lot of grappling.
    It's good to see SCA Heavy Combat actually get some major competition, hopefully with BoN teams trying to recruit from HEMA schools, we will actually see some decent varied matches come from it.
    It turns out that it is mostly SCA people who are building an American team for BotN http://www.usaknights.org . I'm upgrading my armor, ordered a new halberd, and am changing my training routine to prepare for it. National practice coming up Feb 17-18 in Springfield, Il. If anyone from a HEMA wants to join, we'd sure love to see them!

  9. #459
    misanthropic777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    233
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainzorikh View Post
    TeamUSA for this year's Battle of the Nations is being organized and is mostly made up of SCA folks, but I would love to see some HEMA/WMA folks join up as well.
    Two of the members are guys I've trained WMA with in the past.

  10. #460

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    113
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropic777 View Post
    Two of the members are guys I've trained WMA with in the past.
    Which ones? Is one of them the guy in the black t-shirt with the sword :)

Page 46 of 52 First ... 36424344454647484950 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO