Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 10:35am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimnir69 View Post
    Hehe, weren't there even a duel mentioned with the duellist's hands tied behind their backs and daggers strapped onto helmets? Or is that just a myth? I know that around my region there used to quite a lot of interesting ways to show your "manhood"...
    I've never seen any actual documentation supporting that story so, at best, I'd have to put it as "apocryphal" for now.

On the other hand, I wouldn't put any bizarre ritualized combat beyond our ancestors.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 10:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainzorikh View Post
    On that note you remind me that before the 20th century, death was a much bigger part of life than it is now, and in many cultures the warrior tradition and martial values reflected that.

When you have beaten 50/50 odds to make it to age 20, and it's just as likely that you will die by disease or bad medical treatment or bandits within the next year or so as anything else, then as a figthter, as a warrior, you may be more inclined to try to die well than to try to live long.
    Up until the 20th Century, Infant Mortality was so high they often didn't bother naming babies until they were a few years old. You can still go find old cemeteries that have headstones marked "Baby Smith" and the like.

For all the fun that it can be engaging "creative anachronism" the past wouldn't even be a fun place to visit, much less live there. It was dirty, grimy, and full of death, disease, and misery.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 11:27am

Style: HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    I recently saw a translation detailing the use of pole-arms in formation. I forget the author but you could, doubtless dig it up. It was posted to the [Western-Arts] yahoo list about a year or two ago.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    Could it be van Buren's "Drilkonst" from 1672? or Jacob de Gheyn's "Wapenhandelinghe van Roers Musquetten ende Spiessen" from 1607? I would love to find a copy or translation of the latter... :)
    Last edited by Grimnir69; 3/08/2010 11:34am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 1:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could it be van Buren's "Drilkonst" from 1672? or Jacob de Gheyn's "Wapenhandelinghe van Roers Musquetten ende Spiessen" from 1607? I would love to find a copy or translation of the latter... :)
    Darned if I remember. [Western-Arts] e-list.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    Last edited by lklawson; 3/08/2010 1:39pm at . Reason: correct link

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 1:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried searching for it, but can't seem to find it. I ordered the De Gheyn book anyways. Would have been good to have a digital version though, and a translation. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 2:00pm

Style: WMA Lichtenauer Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In serious combat, I doubt that people had concerns for what was "fair". In display fighting, on the other hand, I am quite convinced that there even was a tendency to fight at a disadvantage to humiliate your opponent, just as Jacque Lalaing repeatedly chose to fight with parts of his body unprotected.
    Surely that's seen in the schulefechten techniques for longsword (as promoted by Meyer, spat on in Hs3227a, etc) - here's a low % technique that'll make Errol Flynn look like a pale imitation of you, but since your opponent won't be killing you if it goes wrong, take a chance on it.

Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    Oh, I'm not so sure about that. I've heard it argued that I.33 shows specific ways to end fights without killing the opponent. Part of the suggestion is that the Master is shown as a monk and it is speculated that, perhaps, said monk was a Master-at-Arms or Professional Instructor for local Lords. It would be very bad form, and bad for your health, if you killed the Lord's son, particularly if he was strutting around, had a belly-full of wine, or was just trying to impress his friends.
    I think it's a leap from "not killing" to "upholding the chivalric ideal". We see non-lethal fight enders in... every manual I can think of, actually. That's not because the teacher wanted to ensure virgins were protected, liege's worshipped, etc. It's because people are worth more money alive, and because sometimes you want to take this better-than-you-swordsman to the clinch before he skewers you, and because such moves often make better use of certain opportunities than lethal ones.

If you want an example of chivalry, look at Lichtenauer - "Young knight, learn to love god and honour noble young women, that your honour may grow. Practice knightly skills and learn the art that dignifies you, and brings you glory/honour in wars"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 5:47pm

Style: German Longsword, HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwan_dao View Post
    Here is a specific answer:

Go and **** yourself sideways with a pineapple.
    Like I said, he never answers questions asked. I think kwan dao is just irratated from all the sand in his vagina. I forgive you.
    :jerkit2yf

I won't go further into a forum insult war with you because no one can win. Winning a flame war is like winning the Special Olympics. You may have gotten first place, but you're still just an ebullient retard.
    Last edited by blossfechter; 3/08/2010 5:57pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 7:20pm

Style: grappling, swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blossfechter View Post
    ...You may have gotten first place, but you're still just an ebullient retard.
    ...And I am sure you meant no insult to the courageous young mentally-challenged people who compete in those events by saying so. :)

This promo was made by a fan/member, not SCA Corporate. It has some of the geeky wide-eyed enthusiasm as such, but it also has some excellent footage of the field battle at Pennsic, where you can actually see the various units moving, reacting, and crashing into each other. It's sort of like two amoebas fighting.

YouTube- SCA Tribute / Promo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 10:14pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwan_dao View Post
    Here is a specific answer:

Go and **** yourself sideways with a pineapple.
    Really, that doesn't seem all that specific. To clarify: are you suggesting that some one should be penetrated by a pineapple while lying on their side, or that the pineapple's broad side should be used to achieve penetration?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2010 5:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or should the pineapple be penetrated?

I made an attempt at both. Couldn't really figure it out ... Not my cup of tea though and my wife thought it a bit weird. Must be a German thing.

I'll pass this type of erotical experimentation on to the one who suggested it. Maybe he has the skills to do it properly :)
    Last edited by Grimnir69; 3/09/2010 5:40am at .
Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 1415161723 ... LastLast