Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 2:44pm

Style: Taekwondo, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good questions. I use the forms because I often practice alone and they give me a way to practice my techniques and on my footwork that keeps me entertained. I am open to suggestion however. As far as having immediate application I found that after learning the chang-hon forms and looking at taeguek and palgwe forms that the songahms had a better flow of movement to them as well as more punching techniques. Please keep in mind that I am not advocating for ATA methodologies I only prefer the forms to other Taekwondo forms I have seen.

Anyway I normally only practise these on my own; we use more modern styles of practice for teaching in general (as I mentioned before.)

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post

Why would use Taekwondo forms to develop balance and core power when there are better methods to?
    If you want to stand on one leg and flick kick the air I can't think of any better practice to prepare your core power and balance to do it .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 3:17pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brihno360 View Post
    Good questions. I use the forms because I often practice alone and they give me a way to practice my techniques and on my footwork that keeps me entertained. I am open to suggestion however. As far as having immediate application I found that after learning the chang-hon forms and looking at taeguek and palgwe forms that the songahms had a better flow of movement to them as well as more punching techniques. Please keep in mind that I am not advocating for ATA methodologies I only prefer the forms to other Taekwondo forms I have seen.
    I'm not asking why you use forms.

I'm asking why you use these forms as opposed to more efficient training methods, be the other forms, or other drills.

Also, in the context of the entire thread, do these forms actually indicate a progessive gradient of developing combat-applicable skill?

Anyway I normally only practise these on my own; we use more modern styles of practice for teaching in general (as I mentioned before.)
    More modern?

You do realize that forms practice in the manner discussed in this thread is a very modern phenomena...where as the boxing/kickboxing training methods you mentioned are positively ancient?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 3:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    I'm not asking why you use forms.

I'm asking why you use these forms as opposed to more efficient training methods, be the other forms, or other drills.

Also, in the context of the entire thread, do these forms actually indicate a progessive gradient of developing combat-applicable skill?
    Not sure which other forms I should use but we use other drills in our training. I use the 1-2-3-4 boxing combinations as well (in my private training as well as in our club meetings.)

No the forms do not necessarily indicate a progressive gradient of combat skill but I do like the fact that they include more hand techniques and start teaching the side kick in the first form and round kicks in the second of course like chon-ji, the front kick is also taught in the first form.

I believe that these three kicks are the most fundamental and likely to work of all the kicks in the system and should therefore be taught as early as possible. Of these, the sidekick is probably the most difficult to perform correctly, so I like the fact that it is included in the first form.

I also feel that we have gotten beyond the OP's intent as far as the scope of the thread was originally intended, and I readily admit my part in this.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 3:39pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure which other forms I should use but we use other drills in our training. I use the 1-2-3-4 boxing combinations as well (in my private training as well as in our club meetings.)

No the forms do not necessarily indicate a progressive gradient of combat skill but I do like the fact that they include more hand techniques and start teaching the side kick in the first form and round kicks in the second of course like chon-ji, the front kick is also taught in the first form.

I believe that these three kicks are the most fundamental and likely to work of all the kicks in the system and should therefore be taught as early as possible. Of these, the sidekick is probably the most difficult to perform correctly, so I like the fact that it is included in the first form.
    All of which can be and is taught without the forms. Please, answer this question for Der:
    You are stating why you like forms.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 3:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like songahm forms for the following reasons: 1. the forms have better flow than others I have learned. 2. I prefer the order in which the techniques are taught in the songahms. 3. there seem to be more hand techniques in the forms. what I mean here is that there are more types of strikes more regularly used in the forms than in others I have used.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345