Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/10/2010 2:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: traditional tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucard619 View Post
    They taught you to kick a knife out of the hand? Dude when I started learning weapons defense the first thing my instructor taught me was "Forget everything you think you know and do NOT try to practice what you see in the movies or anything flashy."

Unless you can deliver Chuck Norris style kicks at the speed of sound...come on.

Which is exactly why I'm dumping that from any curriculum I teach from now on.If I don't have confidence in it - why should it be taught? I never want to have to explain to a student, their family member, or a jury why I taught (and thus endorsed) someone to kick a knife out of an assailant's hand.

Those moves look good in movies, but are totally unsafe.

Posted On:
    3/10/2010 11:41am

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by t v tkd View Post
    Which is exactly why I'm dumping that from any curriculum I teach from now on.If I don't have confidence in it - why should it be taught? I never want to have to explain to a student, their family member, or a jury why I taught (and thus endorsed) someone to kick a knife out of an assailant's hand.

Those moves look good in movies, but are totally unsafe.
    Oh, and to point out:

At my school we also learned "self-defense moves" for a 'real-life" encounter, but it was never as ridiculous as kicking a knife out of someone's hand! :psyduck:

My insrtuctor also did some escrima, so some of the knife defenses I worked on were less tkd oriented as they were escrima oriented (flow drills and such, not an expert by any means).
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    ó Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    ó Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2010 12:44pm

Style: taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didnt get told too much too quick if you werent sure of a technique you were encouraged to look around and see how the higher belts did it and emulate the only time ive seen someone overwelmed was a 13 yo white belt who for some reason could not learn walking stance imagine L stance put your rear foot directly behind your front one and a half shoulder width apart and put all your weight on front foot and You get the idea of this lads walking stance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2010 3:30pm

Style: TKD & JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The question about quantity of curriculum per rank is a balancing act. The answer varies with a number of factors.
    1. Age of students. Kids (under high School age or so) will generaly absorb less info and take longer to become proficient.
    2. Average nuber of hours in class per week
    3. Average number of class hours between tests.
    4. Enough variation to avoid boredom
    5. Challenging enough for more gifted athletes but not impossible for the less gifted.

Our curriculm was basicaly geared toward adults traing 3x a week, 90 minutes a class. Then the kids program was basicaly 2x a week for 60 minutes a class. Testiung is quarterly. In order to use the same curriculum, the existing rank curriculum basicaly took each level for kids and split it in 2 parts. Most basic stuff was part one and more difficult was part 2. Their test / promotions are still quarterly (if they are deemed ready) but now in 1/2 step increments. First half is part 1, and second half is part 1 and 2 as well as any prior rank material.

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 2:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding the knife defense that's a problem in itself. It gives lower ranks a false sense of confidence that they can take on someone with a knife. Let alone that you say it's being taught at purple belt which is probably around 7~9th Gup which are still for the most part newer students that shouldn't be focused on weapon defense yet in my opinion; And if you go on to pass down things I you may wish to think of bumping weapon defense up to higher ranks.

Personally I was not overwhelmed learning at my dojangg.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 3:43pm

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought that knife defense generally didn't come until blue-brown belt in most schools for that reason. I was probally 5 years in before I even considered armed attackers.
    As for OP's original question I think a good teacher knows when a student is getting overloaded with techniques and adjust for it, I personally never felt overloaded until I started reviewing for my blackbelt test.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2010 2:12am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep it simple and have 5-6 core kicks is the best way IMO. Srsly. WORK on those few kicks and make them very high percentage and POWERFUL. It gives you a better chance in comps than having a kick or punch from every single angle.

My instructor told me that having "go-to" kicks is better than knowing EVERY SINGLE KICK.

What encouraged me to stick with TKD? The fact that my instructors didn't teach tappy-tap crap.
    Last edited by CarlosJesena; 3/22/2010 2:16am at .

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 7:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I learned TKD, the beginning belts were easier and there was not too much to learn. In kuksool, white belt can be overload, but I had the advantage of already having a 2nd degree bb in tkd when I started.

When I later taught kuksool, I saw that a lot of folks struggled with white belt (a jillion stances, strikes, kicks, 6-part "basic form" and 15 basic techniques). Then the few next belts are easy. Then getting your brown belt is a bitch as far as # of techniques are concerned.

I believe in getting a few basic techniques and do them right. I think it was Jhoon Rhee (I know, I know) said that "mastery" was being able to do the basic core dozen techniques well and not so much of doing hundreds and thousands of sloppy techniques.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 11:00pm

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdbuck76 View Post
    When I later taught kuksool, I saw that a lot of folks struggled with white belt.
    If I remember correctly ki cho hyung is a white belt form, for those who don't know it involves no real pattern, and jumping spinning kicks.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    4/01/2010 11:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are 6 parts to ki cho hyung. Part #6 involves two jump-spinning crescent kicks.

Ki Cho Il Bo it ain't.....
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast