Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 6:59am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once got tapped out about four times in five minutes by wristlocks. The guy who did it to me was a fifth dan judoka with a 2nd dan in Aikido, so I didn't feel to bad about it.

Never let it happen again though.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 7:05am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrist locks hurt like a bitch (though some people have thick unbendable wrists that make them less effective), and can legitimately damage that joint. Has anyone ever said otherwise? The problem most people have with arts like HKD and Aikido is their reliance on STANDING wrist locks and wrist lock throws. Which are usually pretty easy to avoid, though even those can work if you get caught. But if you can't get out of a wristlock, tap. They work the same way any other lock works; by bending or twisting a joint in a way it was not meant to go.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 7:15am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kota gaeshi and shiho nage are quite entertaining from mount. the guy on the bottom knows it's straight up aikido, and he knows there's not a goddamn thing he can do about it except tap.

it's amazing how much stupid **** becomes effective once you've got positional dominance. funny, that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Miracleman View Post
    What? That's ridiculous!

Cows are ungulates, they don't have hands!
    i could explain the story of how that came to be, but the short version is "bjj wins again."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 7:45am

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    am having a tough time picturing shiho nage from mount

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 9:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone know videos with good wristlock instructions?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 10:43am

Style: Cage Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ironically, the one time the technique worked was standing when I tried to grab his wrist. It was much easier to escape on the ground, where he couldn't torque it as much. Standing, though, he had a full range of motion to do nasty things to my wrist.

Hmm, I think I'm going to try some wrist locks from mount or off of an omoplata...

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    Ironically, the one time the technique worked was standing when I tried to grab his wrist.
    Why do you think gongfu guys are constantly saying, "Grab my wrist!"? Don't grab a gongfu man's wrist!

A bit more seriously, a lot of qinna locks are actually counters rather than initiatory moves. The goofy standing wristlocks people drill are partially low percentage because people depend on them without having a dominant position but also partially because the opponent hasn't committed to anything that can be easily turned around. Gongfu goofs go for the grab (and then generally just stand there looking stupid till they get punched in the eye) rather than allowing themselves to be grabbed so that it might be turned around.

So, no, don't grab a wrist when playing with a gongfu pal who knows what he's doing.

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 10:59am

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't and probably never will get why BJJhadists will cheerfully attack ankles all day long, then piss and moan about wristlocks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 11:34am

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    I don't and probably never will get why BJJhadists will cheerfully attack ankles all day long, then piss and moan about wristlocks.
    100% agreed. I had one or two people tell me that wrist locks are "dirty". I asked why and nobody had a good reason beyond the fact that some tournaments restrict them at low levels. I'm not talking about yanking on fingers or anything like that, just straight up Aikido wrist locks incorporated into BJJ, done with restraint. I just don't buy that those locks are any more dangerous or "dirty" then going after an ankle or knee or whatever.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 11:57am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was watching a video with Roy Harris rolling with one of his top students - the student grabbed Harris, who then covered the guy's wrist. Harris yells "Aikido!" and threw the guy onto his back with a wristlock.

Seems to me like wrist locks would be quite useful. They may be low percentage, but they seem pretty low risk too... And if you are good at them, it would give your opponent pause when grip fighting or attempting certain subs.

I second the request for some good supplemental wrist lock material - anybody got recommendations?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast