Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 4:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm really excited to see this card.
    question: does anyone know for sure whether or not aoki's going to be allowed to use his leggings? if not, i'm taking melendez for sure over aoki. the lack of aoki's experience in a cage plus the loss of leggings for his guard plus melendez' heart make me believe aoki's either going out by tko or decision.

also, gegard over king mo. "He's confident because he's never lost. I want to see how he reacts when I punch him, and how he fights then." - mousasi.

hendo over shields. if anything else, i think size matters. shields is basically fighting at his natural weight after moving up from 170, and hendo cuts from ~200. shields may have been able to hold mayhem miller down for 25 minutes, but i don't see that happening against a bigger, more experienced opponent with epic Greco.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 2:51pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aoki said that he's not going to wear any leggings, and we can "enjoy his naked legs." This should be an awesome fight, but I think Aoki can win this.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tenn. Athletic Commission won't allow the leggings, shorts must stop above the knee.

Also, Aoki had this to say:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiya Aoki
    "...My grappling makes all MMA fans happy," Aoki told Yahoo Japan, and we're hoping the awkwardness came in translation. "I will give it a 120 percent performance and show you Melendez's tap … I am top of Japan. I will go to the USA and prove (DREAM) forever."

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 7:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Henderson mauls Shields for 25 minutes. Aoki takes Melendez's ACL early in the second. Mousasi stuns Lawal with a right hand then triangles him after the reflexive takedown.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 2:36am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, as awesome as Mousasi is, I'm gonna say I think King Mo might actually pull it off. I don't have much more than a gut instinct to go off of, but I'm predicting the upset here.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 7:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm excited to see Aoki in this fight. Honestly, I think it's going to reveal a lot. Strikeforce, with a few exceptions (Fedor, Hendo) is a level below the UFC. If Aoki struggles, has a drawn out war or loses to Melendez, it will expose him, imo. If he treats Melendez the way he did the guy from Sengogoku (minus the unsportsman like conduct), then I'd say it's prrof that he's at least UFC level even if not quite at the level of Penn. Athough even that would become more of a legit question.

('._.)

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 7:58am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    i'm really excited to see this card.
    question: does anyone know for sure whether or not aoki's going to be allowed to use his leggings? if not, i'm taking melendez for sure over aoki. the lack of aoki's experience in a cage plus the loss of leggings for his guard plus melendez' heart make me believe aoki's either going out by tko or decision.
    He could do what George Sotiropoulos did against Joe Stevenson.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 4:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    I'm excited to see Aoki in this fight. Honestly, I think it's going to reveal a lot. Strikeforce, with a few exceptions (Fedor, Hendo) is a level below the UFC. If Aoki struggles, has a drawn out war or loses to Melendez, it will expose him, imo. If he treats Melendez the way he did the guy from Sengogoku (minus the unsportsman like conduct), then I'd say it's prrof that he's at least UFC level even if not quite at the level of Penn. Athough even that would become more of a legit question.
    so if melendez wins, or if it goes either way in a long way, it can't mean strikeforce's talent is at UFC levels?

Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    He could do what George Sotiropoulos did against Joe Stevenson.
    true, and i know aoki has trained directly with eddie bravo, so i don't know.
    ground, aoki's advantage, standing, melendez advantage?

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 5:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, I think with a few exceptions, it's pretty clear most guys fighting in Strikeforce would either not make it in the UFC or would be B level in the UFC.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2010 3:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think, for the most part, the current champions in the ufc make the ufc, except for the 205 and 265 divisions, where zuffa owns much of the top talent. example: in a recent interview with royce gracie, the interviewer asks who he thinks will win in upcoming fights, like renzo/hughes. when asked about gsp/hardy, royce gives a blank face and asks, "who?". when asked about penn/edgar, royce gives another blank face and asks, "who?".

i don't necessarily disagree with you, but i also want to point out that penn, gsp, silva, and the top of 205 would make any organization's roster look weak and lacking, the ufc included.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast