Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 3:04pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My background: 1-dan Goju-ryu karate

Your video about hikite was at about green belt level. Those are indeed possible applications of the movement, but your demonstrations are unrealistic.

By the way, do you train in Kempo or do you train in Karate? They're different things. I'd also like to see a video of you and your students rolling.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 3:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not contesting that I am bad mouthing them... I am. But I am bad mouthing them based on experience researching them, using them and being a part of them in the past... Funny, a bullshido member criticizing me for trying to make the public aware of the McDojos and the gross public marketing of the big Professional Martial arts organizations...

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Quite Ironic.

From your website:

Yes, that is bad mouthing no matter how it is written. Glass houses and stones Mr. 20 years. I will leave alone the irony on you commenting on Professional Martial Arts Associations.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 3:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As unrealistic, as say, dropping back into a down-block position before I punch?

Of course its a beginner technique, did I imply that it was the culmination of all of my years of training? Its just a stepping stone for people to get a better grasp of what kata is. Its certainly not the end of the road.

Congratulations on being a Shodan.

Its interesting you say that Kempo and Karate are different, especially as a Goju Ryu exponent. Chojun Miyagi gave a speech in 1936. One topic was called "Introduction of Kenpo to Ryukyu". Funakoshi called the arts Kenpo before calling it Shotokan Karate and Choki Motobu called his art Kempo, although today we call these arts Karate as a result of early Japanese conformity. I think you are referring to the popular "Kenpo" as an art of Hawaiian/ Chinese origin while I am referring to the literal use of the term Kempo meaning methods of using your fist... just as Kenjutsu is sometimes referred to as "Kenpo", although the kanji for Ken being used is sword...
    Today, the lineage of Shigeru Nakamura and many others still choose to use the term Kenpo/ Kempo and Karate. I am an exponent of Motobu's son, Chosei, and he calls his art "Nihon Denryu Heiho Motobu Kempo"... not Karate.

My use of the term is a term of endearment for a more classical way of approaching the study of Di (Okinawan Martial Arts).

Ne waza (ground techniques) are one of the 8 fundamental facets of classical training. Teaching, let alone making a video, of the incorporation of these techniques or any of the 8 facets, would, as would showing a brief explanation of "Hikite no Tichiki" (what the hand is really doing in Hikite) on youtube, is not in the best interest of preserving the art. People who really want to know can just come to the dojo.

Good luck in your Goju Ryu training. Goju is of course the Nahate side of the Shito Ryu I practice. I have also been fortunate enough to study Goju Ryu and love the complexity of the seemingly simple techniques.

Gassho

Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    My background: 1-dan Goju-ryu karate

Your video about hikite was at about green belt level. Those are indeed possible applications of the movement, but your demonstrations are unrealistic.

By the way, do you train in Kempo or do you train in Karate? They're different things. I'd also like to see a video of you and your students rolling.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 3:33pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by akkshindojo View Post
    I am not contesting that I am bad mouthing them... I am. But I am bad mouthing them based on experience researching them, using them and being a part of them in the past... Funny, a bullshido member criticizing me for trying to make the public aware of the McDojos and the gross public marketing of the big Professional Martial arts organizations...
    Interesting a noob trying to call McDojo on other arts while, his own school fits the definition of McDojo.

Oh and make sure you learn context I am criticizing your hypocritical rants. You are assuming no one has practiced Japanese Jujitsu. Oh and please don't make the mistake, that I know is coming next, called overgeneralizing.

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 3:34pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is weird, I can see the rest of the site, but the main page is blocked due to 'Phishing & Fraud sites are blocked'

Have you clearly defined what a 'McDojo' is on your website?
    Where did you discuss gross public marketing of the big professional martial arts organizations?

I appreciate what you are trying to do in that section, but I think some reformatting would make that section from looking like a rant, to something more professional. Start by defining 'mcdojo.'
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 3:48pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As unrealistic, as say, dropping back into a down-block position before I punch?

Of course its a beginner technique, did I imply that it was the culmination of all of my years of training? Its just a stepping stone for people to get a better grasp of what kata is. Its certainly not the end of the road.

Congratulations on being a Shodan.

Its interesting you say that Kempo and Karate are different, especially as a Goju Ryu exponent. Chojun Miyagi gave a speech in 1936. One topic was called "Introduction of Kenpo to Ryukyu". Funakoshi called the arts Kenpo before calling it Shotokan Karate and Choki Motobu called his art Kempo, although today we call these arts Karate as a result of early Japanese conformity. I think you are referring to the popular "Kenpo" as an art of Hawaiian/ Chinese origin while I am referring to the literal use of the term Kempo meaning methods of using your fist... just as Kenjutsu is sometimes referred to as "Kenpo", although the kanji for Ken being used is sword...
    Today, the lineage of Shigeru Nakamura and many others still choose to use the term Kenpo/ Kempo and Karate. I am an exponent of Motobu's son, Chosei, and he calls his art "Nihon Denryu Heiho Motobu Kempo"... not Karate.

My use of the term is a term of endearment for a more classical way of approaching the study of Di (Okinawan Martial Arts).

Ne waza (ground techniques) are one of the 8 fundamental facets of classical training. Teaching, let alone making a video, of the incorporation of these techniques or any of the 8 facets, would, as would showing a brief explanation of "Hikite no Tichiki" (what the hand is really doing in Hikite) on youtube, is not in the best interest of preserving the art. People who really want to know can just come to the dojo.

Good luck in your Goju Ryu training. Goju is of course the Nahate side of the Shito Ryu I practice. I have also been fortunate enough to study Goju Ryu and love the complexity of the seemingly simple techniques.

Gassho
    For a 5-dan, your techniques do not evoke any sense of power for me.

Ne-waza as defined in karate are very different from ne-waza from Judo or Jujitsu and don't necessarily relate to groundfighting. I'm also curious if you hold ranks in grappling styles, such as Judo or Japanese Jiu-jitsu.

Also, Ryukyu kempo is indeed a separate subset of techniques when compared to the Okinawan karate styles that were derived from the three forms of Te. I also believe you are referring to "Te" in Chinese by calling it "Di".

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 4:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a 6th Dan (wink...) I am not trying to invoke power... perhaps in a video later on "power". The videos are simply basic lessons...

I have a 4th Dan in Jujutsu (a Hakko Ryu derivative, but also included the Kodokan kata), my 3rd Dan is from Hakko Ryu Honbu.

I am referring to Di, which in the Hogen dialect means te/ hand, but in Okinawa it means "martial arts" in the dojo.

I wasn't referring to Okinawa Kenpo, which some will now classify as a "subset of Shurite and Tomarite influence, but Kempo being simply a general term for martial arts in Okinawa.

Ne waza, as defined in classical Budo, has the same Hoshin/ principles, the execution of some are different depending on historical context, etc.

I am happy with the web-site the way it is. Thanks. Gotta teach class. We can discuss later if you would like...

Best

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2010 8:13am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff View Post
    This is weird, I can see the rest of the site, but the main page is blocked due to 'Phishing & Fraud sites are blocked'

Don't know.

Have you clearly defined what a 'McDojo' is on your website?
    Where did you discuss gross public marketing of the big professional martial arts organizations?

No, most people figure it out. I didn't discuss it. I was asked why so I answered.

I appreciate what you are trying to do in that section, but I think some reformatting would make that section from looking like a rant, to something more professional. Start by defining 'mcdojo.'
    I appreciate it. I certainly get more compliments on standing up and putting that up there then the microscopic investigation I seem to be experiencing from you all. It sends the message the way it is. It is a rant. Thanks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/14/2010 8:15am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I appreciate it. I certainly get more compliments on standing up and putting that up there then the microscopic investigation I seem to be experiencing from you all. It sends the message the way it is. It is a rant. Thanks.
    No one is investigating you but, go ahead and keep thinking you are relevant.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2010 8:25am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why so angry? I am the one being attacked...shouldn't I be angry;)?

You seem very proud, rightfully so, of your dedication and association with the various Xing I and other CMA lineages you hold.

I, too, am "written in" to several lineages as well...going to Japan a couple times per year, bringing my teachers here, etc. I have immersed myself in the language and culture, just as you seem to have done.

I am also having members of a web-site/ community I know nothing about call what I do Bullshit, when they know nothing about the disciplines I train in nor the context in which I am learning them... another thing that I am sure we have in common.

I noticed this site actually has a "bully rating"...which is quite disturbing. If all you all are really trying to do here is stir the pot and get a rise of people who do not fit your model of a martial artist, then we have come to the real root of all of this discussion.

I apologize for taking this so seriously. It seems my efforts were aimed in the wrong direction.

Have fun in the dojo, or on the mat...whatever you call it...

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Interesting a noob trying to call McDojo on other arts while, his own school fits the definition of McDojo.

Oh and make sure you learn context I am criticizing your hypocritical rants. You are assuming no one has practiced Japanese Jujitsu. Oh and please don't make the mistake, that I know is coming next, called overgeneralizing.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast