Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 4:11pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please, please, PLEASE send this to YMAS. I have some advanced "Man up, Nancy" advice to share.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 4:56pm

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    Hehe, I am 27, and I never earnestly considered to turn amateur fighter, or anything, but having the possibility was pretty nice. However,
    instead of training like t3h r34l ninjer, I enjoyed the booze, reading comic books, getting laid, wearing silly basecaps, and playing D&D.
    Holy ****.I thought you were like 35 ish or something.Man,you're just gettin into your power/endurance yrs. Get out there and smash ppl man,geesh,plenty of time to do it.Stop thinking about it and just effing do it.

Edit:Sorry, i thought this was a YMAS thread.
    Last edited by KiwiPhil889; 2/28/2010 4:59pm at . Reason: didn't notice forum

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 5:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hehe, thanks, everyone. I don't mind any mockery.

It's not like I was depressed or something; it's just a rare new sensation, and I hadn't put it into words it until now.

So, basically, I have no reason to feel old already, and I should STFU and train? - Cool. That's what I hoped to hear.

game dog

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, basically, I have no reason to feel old already, and I should STFU and train? - Cool. That's what I hoped to hear.
    Okay, then, one more time: STFU and train.

Seriously: I took up BJJ when I was 28 or something. I won the German Championships at the age of 33. I had my MMA debut last year at 34. I won't make a career out of it... but if being a successful amateur fighter is what you want to be, don't waste your time with excuses and go for it. Unless you've already f-ed up your body with injuries or booze, you've got enough time left.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 8:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hehe, thanks, everyone. I don't mind any mockery.

It's not like I was depressed or something; it's just a rare new sensation, and I hadn't put it into words it until now.

STFU and train!

I'm 34, I've competed in in Karate, Taekwondo, Kyokushin, (Sport) Ju Jutsu and Daido Juku tournements from my 16th upto my 24th extencively and from my 25 to my 26th on rare occasions.
    I fought at that time in the 73 kg class, which meant that in every tournement there were minimum 20 (to 40) persons in that class.
    Always finished top 5, only once finished top 3, so I have 1 medal lying at my mothers house attic.
    Also there are no pictures or movies of me competing from that era...
    So what, I had a blast and it was a great learning experience.

In two weeks I start to compete again, this time in Bjj and I know already that I will get my ass handed out, but again...so what, I will have a blast and again I will learn from the experience.

So Rafe...STFU and train AND have fun!

With kind regards,
    Zendo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 10:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A modest proposal: When you don't feel like hitting people in the face, take some time to lift heavy stuff instead.

(I know this isn't Strikeistan-level advice, but I'm doing my best...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 10:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    A modest proposal: When you don't feel like hitting people in the face, take some time to lift heavy stuff instead.

(I know this isn't Strikeistan-level advice, but I'm doing my best...)
    I'm actually contemplating the opposite. Reducing my heavy lifting and getting back into my boxing. Some cross training will do good, both in terms of mental recovery and gaining some skills that will have some carryover.

If lifting doesn't interest you, maybe it's time to try a different combat sport, just to break up the routine.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 11:59pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question View Post
    Rafael, you're 27? 27? As in twenty-motherfucking-seven.

I don't really understand what the bitching is about then. You're really not that much older than the 20 year old kid. You can still do that ****. Get some fights in, bro. Make your fucking memories now before time runs out. Get 10 fights in the next few years, knock some motherfuckers out, make a highlight reel and then later you can watch it/show it to people and say "yeah, that's right. I was a bad ************ in my prime".

Fuckin' do it, man, fucking do it.

That's what I'm planning on doing. I'm 24.

Im 41 and that is my plan, 27? Lord if I was 27 I could rule the world! (well I would have the energy to try at least)

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    3/01/2010 7:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :coffee:

Good morrow! So, then here I go STFUing and training, and using my 'youthful energy' to rule, well, if not THE world, then at least MINE.

:toothy5: Thanks, again. Rereading my original post, I see that it sounds very negative; that wasn't my intention. I guess it's just really this sensation that one could have spent the time one has spent in a more effective way.

Also, I think I share with many of you that MAs are more than just a hobby to me. They have come to define big parts of my self-concept. (No, not what you're thinking! The single only MMA shirt I own is Rupture's Bully edition, and I never wear it, to save it for a TD!) - Yeah, the only answer seems indeed to push things harder.

^Not trying to making sense; had a to work until 4 AM last night, and these are my shortly-after breakfast-thoughts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 12:23am

Style: Judo-Brown

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will have to find the study, but i read that 27-32 is the common athletic prime. If your only 27 you have more time than you realize.

Simply do not waste it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast