Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2010 10:11pm

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Moral of the story: There is no such thing as functional strength. The function of your strength depends entirely on the activity you're training for.
    You have explained it better than I have.

Posted On:
    3/01/2010 10:46pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Moral of the story: There is no such thing as functional strength. The function of your strength depends entirely on the activity you're training for.
    I thought functional was more referring to getting some **** done, like throwing hay bales or ripping limbs, as opposed to aesthetic training. Just throwing that out there.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 10:58am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusdbrutus View Post
    I thought functional was more referring to getting some **** done, like throwing hay bales or ripping limbs, as opposed to aesthetic training. Just throwing that out there.
    It's kinda a bullshit definition if that's what it means though. Do you work in a job where you throw bales of hay or rip the limbs off of things? I work with computers myself, in which case, that kind of strength is completely worthless to me, and as such not functional.

Functional strength is a bullshit term developed by people that want your money. There is strength, and there is not strength. From there, it's a question if if your training movements that have the most direct carryover to your sport. All the training Mariusz has done has made him an excellent strongman, and it has carryover to fighting, but extrapolate it to activities like soccer or swimming, and suddenly his strength has gone from functional to non-functional. Or, take the farmer example. He has trained to bale hay, and as such he is great at it. However, throw him into a basketball game, and suddenly his strength serves little function. The strength didn't magically change, simply the application.

This is why it says "dysfunctionally strong" under my avatar.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

('._.)

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 5:18pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whathappened View Post
    Just read the wiki on the Strongest Man competition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_Strongest_Man

I'm now convinced, "dodging" the fight is a wise move by Tim's team.
    Pudz has enough functional strength to yank limbs off people.
    Its a shame he doesnt really know how to fight. His one fight was an absolute joke against a guy that had obviously not trained for MMA a day of his life.

Sylvia could destroy Marius any way he wants. Standing he would beat him to a pulp and what is Marius going to do if the fight hits the ground? Sylvia did well on the ground against ADCC competitor Jeff Monson. He would submit Marius with ease.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 5:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    Its a shame he doesnt really know how to fight. His one fight was an absolute joke against a guy that had obviously not trained for MMA a day of his life.

Sylvia could destroy Marius any way he wants. Standing he would beat him to a pulp and what is Marius going to do if the fight hits the ground? Sylvia did well on the ground against ADCC competitor Jeff Monson. He would submit Marius with ease.
    Your right...Mercer is the best MMA artist EVER!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

('._.)

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 5:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I knew someone would say that. But you clearly dont know much about boxing. Mercer was a former champ and power is the last thing to do. Sylvia went into that fight with a retarded gameplan, he kept his hands low and wanted to trade punches. He could have easily beaten Mercer by clinching up with him and getting him to the ground.

Tell me, what are Marius´ boxing credentials? Is he too a former world champ? Or his ground skills for that matter? He used the worst leg kicks I´ve seen in my life to beat down a washed up nobody with no MMA experience and this makes people think he is going to walk through a former UFC champion? lol

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For comparison purposes, here are the last fights each man fought:

YouTube- Tim Sylvia vs Jason Riley

YouTube- KSW - 11.12.2009 - Mariusz Pudzianowski vs Marcin Najman w ipla.tv

Pudzianowski fights like a giant ball of spaz, but it would be a redeeming performance if Sylvia defeated him.

('._.)

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 5:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pudz has literally zero cardio, I saw a video of him doing (very poor) boxing padwork and he looked exhausted from throwing a few punches. If he goes "full retard" like that at someone that actually has MMA experience he´ll gas himself out within one minute and get clowned.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 5:51pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok if that falls through with Tim, I wouldnt mind seeing a Butterbean vs Mariusz fight. What, this isn't Japan?

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 6:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zero cardio? Have you seen some of the WSM events?
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast