Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 11:20pm

Style: FMA BJJ Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shishir Inocalla and Arnis Kali Maharlika

There are only two "big" Kali schools here in Brazil, the one I train with (Kali Silat Sina Tirsia Walli), here in Rio and some other states, and Arnis Kali Maharlika, in Brasilia.
    Theirs is led by Dada Inocalla, brother of Shishir Inocalla from Modern Arnis and star of the Ninja Turtles movies (I guess he was Michelangelo and Venus in the tv series).
    I was wondering if anyone has trained with Shishir or is familiarized with that lineage. Why I'm asking? Just curiosity as his gym is too far away for me to go there and check myself and also because Dada's system is often said to be "the good alternative" to ours by some who have personal grudges against my master but haven't ever trained in FMA to even know.

I've met one of his students once, and from what he said it appears his practice has much of a Tai Chi mindset ("Kali for energy balance and vitality"). According to the site, Dada is a trained monk (acarya, spiritual teacher) and has travelled the world teaching spirituality. He also offers classes on Tai Chi, Chi Kung, massage, acupunture and Yoga.

Here's a video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch#v=dLjD7...eature=related

Their site:
    http://sites.google.com/site/academi...is-maharlika-1

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 12:53am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not familiar with either of the schools you mentioned, but the school in the video is what i'd most likely avoid in an FMA school. I couldn't read the website because it's not in english and i'm not cultured enough to speak another language. It appears the school has a heavy influence on the artistic side of the spectrum and much less emphasis on the martial side. As an FMA practitioner i'm interested mainly in FMA and things that will work well with FMA sparring. Tai Chi and yoga may help with relaxation and what not but so does a hammock and a beer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 3:04am

Style: FMA BJJ Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    I'm not familiar with either of the schools you mentioned, but the school in the video is what i'd most likely avoid in an FMA school. I couldn't read the website because it's not in english and i'm not cultured enough to speak another language. It appears the school has a heavy influence on the artistic side of the spectrum and much less emphasis on the martial side. As an FMA practitioner i'm interested mainly in FMA and things that will work well with FMA sparring. Tai Chi and yoga may help with relaxation and what not but so does a hammock and a beer.
    My school was created by Greg Alland, I've trained with him a couple of times and he is a great teacher and quite fit for someone at 65 years old. It encompasses Pekiti Tirsia, Doce Pares, Dekiti Tirsia, Pencak Silat and other styles.
    If you reaaaaaally wanna read the website you can use google's translation options, but's its pretty much what I already said: some info of Shishir Inocalla (trained and highly ranked by Remy Presas), spiritual side of Kali, Tai Chi, Yoga and the likes.