223935 Bullies, 3942 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 12:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Gongkwon Yusul.

Those guy's videos have been posted here before, my understanding is they're somewhat unique. They're not typical at all, even of what you'd call "good" Hapkido, because they're doing something entirely new (for them).

In fact I'm not even sure they are Hapkido.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 12:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, this stuff seems OK if very flashy to me, though I'm no authority.

YouTube- Gongkwon Yusul's basic motions(Korea jiu jitsu Hapkido)
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 1:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always liked the pro-hapkido tournaments that are basically mma-lite in a gi. To pretend like that's anything but a massive exception though is a bit silly.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 7:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gongkwon Yusul is a mix of some Hakko-Ryu Ju Jutsu, a lot of Judo and a lot of Kickboxing/Kyuk Too Ki. The Hapkido and Taekwondo flavour is just there to make a connection to Korea's glorious past (remember the 2000 year old TKD).

Hapkido is the mix of (probely) Daito-Ryu Aiki Ju Jutsu and Koreanised Shotokan. (a.k.a. Tae Soo Do or Taekwondo or Tang Soo Do).

This is nothing new that I speak off.

So the "best" Hapkido would look like "Shodokan Aikido mixed with Kyokushin Karate"...but I haven't seen this style yet and I'm starting to think that it doesn't exist.

The "worst" Hapkido would be like most "Gendai Ju Jutsu" styles outthere, but instead of taking "Judo + Karate" and throwing every form of sparring/randori out of the window, it would be "Aikido + Karate" and throwing every form of sparring/randori out of the window... I've seen a lot of those.

The "averige" Hapkido is "Sport Ju Jutsu" with one setback towards the "Japanese Sport Ju Jutsu" styles. Namely it uses low percentage moves (Aikido) instead of high percentage moves (Judo) for it's clinching and grappling part...I've also seen a lot of those clubs, but lesser than the "no randori" Hapkido clubs.

When trained correctly Hapkido isn't a bad art, it's just that the majority of techniques are low percentage.
    Would I recommend Hapkido as the first art to study to noobs in the Martial Arts/Combat Sports world? Hell no!
    Start with something that has high percentage moves (Judo, Bjj, SAMBO, Wrestling + Kyokushin, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, etc...).
    Later in life, there will be enough time to add Hapkido to your repetoire. But if you get the chance to study Shodokan Aikido, take that instead of Hapkido (as your third or fourth art).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2010 1:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpDawg View Post
    It's so strange that we get so many of these kinds of CMA posts and they never use paragraphs. And why always the BJJ? Why don't people ever post "Kung Fu is better than th3 judo because my sifu is a 25th dan and has killed 359 people in underground battles"? Why do these guys always have the anti-grapple, but never claim to have the anti-throw?
    1) Their styles have crappy versions of Judo Throws so they can't knock throws

2) Throws protect you from Aids Needles filled with lava held by multiple opponents

3) Lets face it, people stopped caring about Judo in 1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2010 2:53pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by superninjagod View Post
    1) Their styles have crappy versions of Judo Throws so they can't knock throws

2) Throws protect you from Aids Needles filled with lava held by multiple opponents

3) Lets face it, people stopped caring about Judo in 1994
    Oh no you di'int!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/04/2010 5:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkido83 View Post
    I have the luck of living in Panama were we have a black belt 9th dan Master that teaches us his marrtial arts knowledge and believe that a person that masters hapkido can defeaneatly destroy any bjj pro just because of the fact that hapkido is meant to cripple you in 1 second bjj is only for the floor and against more than 1 person there is no way you can win using bjj > iam saying all this becasue ive had it with all the gracie publicity theyre doing know of day brazilian jj has been around very short altough very effective in a mma fight in the street its unless is a long lasting fight there isnt muuch that can be don asian martial arts have secrets kept for 1oo of years. would lke opinions.

tell Hapkido master that there are programs out there to help with his delusions and addiction......he does not want to end up like this guy, say nope to dope:

YouTube- I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE
    Last edited by Soju_King; 4/04/2010 5:54pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2010 7:02pm

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh man that video just made my day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2010 4:54pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aizu View Post
    I studied Tang Soo Do for 12 years and have a high ranking belt. For the past two and a half I have been studying hapkido bot are Korean Martial arts and both effective but I prefer the DEFENSIVE/SOFT art of Hapkido. Though it is catagorized as a "soft" art it is truely effective and will take any BJJ fighter and dislocat their joints and/or tear tendins while using pressure points and propper technique.
    Ahhh, yes, of course. Hapkido is the ultimate martial art, and could tear tendins. BJJ is obsolete in its presence. Well, you're in luck, my friend, because now you too can prove your seemilgly retarded claims.

There is this new sport which allows for tendon tearing called "Mixed Martial Arts". The most popular "Mixed Martial Arts" league in America is the "Ultimate Fighting Championship", commonly known as the "UFC". I am writing this because, despite its popularity, no one who practices hapkido has ever heard of this league. I know this because this league litterally has ZERO hapkido fighters under contract.

Just look around for professional Mixed Martial Arts matches, where you will show people across the land your awesome skills, and eventually you will compete in the UFC. Then, you will easily win a belt in your respective weight class, become super rich, super famous, and forever be remembered as the baddest man to ever compete in the UFC. That is the only logical progression here, since the reason you don't see hapkido guys in the UFC is because no one who practices hapkido has ever heard of it.

Either that, or no one in the UFC practices hapkido for the same reasons that they don't practice dick sucking: It would be overkill after spending hours a day on BJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2010 7:44pm

Style: TKD/ TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is pure comedy gold. I trained in Hapkido for a few years and I wish I could have that time back so that I could have been studying something more useful for self defense, like Oragami. There's a good reason that "art" is all but extinct, it's impractical.
    BTW hapkido83, THOU SHALT NOT BUTCHER THE KINGS ENGLISH!!!
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112 LastLast