Our Sponsors:

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/01/2010 6:27pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No pressure, just curious. Let us know if you get anything recorded.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/01/2010 6:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral00 View Post
    Yeah, unfortunatley Hapkido is a dying art with fewer and fewer good teachers actually left, but the main problem is that the bad teachers don't know that their bad. I was just drawing on my own experiences not trying to start an arguement.
    Assumes facts not in evidence.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2010 7:33pm

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You want me to prove that Hapkido is going down in quality or that I've grappled before?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2010 11:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not the art, it's the student and the trainer. There can be shitty BJJ guys and great TKD guys, while it may not be the norm, it does happen. And some people adapt to different art better than others. The whole this art versus that art is just gay to me. Learn as many different arts as you can and take the parts you want and work for you.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 1:17am

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolunt View Post
    It's not the art, it's the student and the trainer. There can be shitty BJJ guys and great TKD guys, while it may not be the norm, it does happen. And some people adapt to different art better than others. The whole this art versus that art is just gay to me. Learn as many different arts as you can and take the parts you want and work for you.
    No, the art *does* matter. You can't just look at cherry-picked individuals. Ask yourself which art is more likely, ON AVERAGE, to produce a competent fighter in a reasonable period of time.

Boxing, or Wing Chun?

Hapkido, or BJJ?

We can't hold every martial arts student up to the standard of freaks like GSP who can learn wrestling to the Olympic level in 2 weeks or whatever-the-**** he did and say "well it depends on you, and only you can prevent forest fires!" You have to look at what it does for the average, regular student. In that regard, certain arts are vastly superior to others.

Hand-holding and kumbayah'ing and pretending that "all martial arts are equal, or at least the differences don't matter, it's all YOU, you special snowflake, YOU make the difference!" is ignoring what a basic grasp of statistical analysis causes anyone to conclude.

Saying that there can be shitty BJJ guys is true but also is meaningless without numbers or at least qualitative judgements. If 25% of BJJ students never really learn how to apply their art in a fight or move past the blue belt level, that says something. If 90% of TKD students never learn to apply their art in a real fight, that says something too. Considering TKD has a history of producing students which lament the state of their art, my made up numbers might even be reasonably accurate.

Martial arts are not all equals with something to offer to the student progressing down the tao of the Jeet Kune Do. They, as a fighting method / theory, are subject to objective scrutiny. In that light, it is inevitable that some will be found wanting. There is nothing wrong with this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 10:15am

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So...hapkido is now the deadliest art ever? Sweet.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 10:27am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just noticed this was in the MMA forum. Style vs. style threads belong in YMAS.

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 11:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to stir the pot, Hapkido in Korea, friendly school vs. school match:

http://www.youtube.com/user/go3398#p/u/14/XJhHBtGk2Ys

Edit: Hey, my video won't embed like normal now?
    Last edited by maofas; 4/02/2010 11:29am at .

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 11:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    Assumes facts not in evidence.
    Not anymore

Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Just to stir the pot, Hapkido in Korea, friendly school vs. school match:

http://www.youtube.com/user/go3398#p/u/14/XJhHBtGk2Ys

Edit: Hey, my video won't embed like normal now?

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 12:17pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These style bashings are a funny thing. I'm the first to admit I'm a worthless BJJ player. 2,5 years of training behind but only sporadically due to injuries and other issues. I'm not even close to the minimum skill level required for blue belt around here.

Even so in my experience I'm able to dominate bigger and more athletic guys who have done stand up martial arts for years and years when we spar. It's just a completely different ballgame. I'm sure this is no revelation to anyone, but I think it is a good reminder.

So, kids: grappling and stand up striking arts are so different that an out of shape, blubbery guy with maybe 5-6 months worth of training in BJJ can dominate you on ground if you aren't a huge, athletic freak. And if you are at a BJJ gym you can't throw a stone without hitting someone who can hand you your ass even if they are half your weight. Hell, some places have girls like that.

I would never claim my BJJ skill set would somehow automatically with no extra effort transfer to kicking and punching, because it's fucking dumb. Why is it so hard to see the same applies the other way around too?
    Last edited by hpr; 4/02/2010 12:21pm at .
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 LastLast