Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 5:43pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2 hours grappling on the ground once a week with another BJJ white belt was probably enough to give you th3 r3al deadly BJJ. In my experience, judo folk tend to try to quickly explode into a pin, while BJJ folk tend to take their time and make use of a wider range of techniques to submit.

As expected, BJJ folk tend to quickly chase double legs without setups, while judo people have a wider range of setups and techniques to bring the ground to the opponent's back.

I submit judo black belts, but I ain't gonna brag about it because I only survive their throws because they're nice to me.

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 6:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP,
    I've been reading your profile. What "Freestyle Instructor (7 years exp)" means?

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 7:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a much longer post written out, but it sounded a bit like I really fancied my abilities on the ground, so here's a condensed version without the hyperbole.

Groundwork in judo is really variable, it's possible to get quite high level guys who just don't give a **** about playing that chess-like kind of game the BJJ guys do. If winning judo competitions is what you're interested in then the main bit of groundwork you need is establishing a pin off a failed throw and then holding on to it.

Personally I think it's a brilliant skill to have, but it doesn't translate directly to the kind of game where you start off your knees and are willing to drop into guard or whatever and work on things for a while. Because of this, guys who would have you pinned so quick you wouldn't know what was going on in a competition setting, will do absolutely stupid **** when you're both on the ground in a neutral setting. Their game is geared towards taking an advantage and making the most of it, or simply standing up and starting over.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 10:01am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    OP,
    I've been reading your profile. What "Freestyle Instructor (7 years exp)" means?

It means I taught under my instructor for a little while after training in his style for 7 years. He called it freestyle but TBH it was basically his interpretation of JKD but for obvious reasons he wasnít allowed to call it that. Any ground work I learnt under this style was very limited though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 10:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I had a much longer post written out, but it sounded a bit like I really fancied my abilities on the ground, so here's a condensed version without the hyperbole.

Groundwork in judo is really variable, it's possible to get quite high level guys who just don't give a **** about playing that chess-like kind of game the BJJ guys do. If winning judo competitions is what you're interested in then the main bit of groundwork you need is establishing a pin off a failed throw and then holding on to it.

Personally I think it's a brilliant skill to have, but it doesn't translate directly to the kind of game where you start off your knees and are willing to drop into guard or whatever and work on things for a while. Because of this, guys who would have you pinned so quick you wouldn't know what was going on in a competition setting, will do absolutely stupid **** when you're both on the ground in a neutral setting. Their game is geared towards taking an advantage and making the most of it, or simply standing up and starting over.

Iím just interested in working my way up through the ranks and if I have to do competitions to gain my higher belts then so be it.

I was watching some Judo Newaza on you tube last night and I was impressed with some of the finishing moves, although admittedly the video was full of high level Judoka.
    One thing I did notice though was how quickly the subs were gained once the fight hit the floor and usually one person is attacking and the other is only concerned with defending long enough to get the fight standing, whereas when Iíve watched BJJ comps both guys usually just want to get on the floor and one of them will usually pull guard just to get it there and from there on in itís a chess match

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 10:21am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    Iím just interested in working my way up through the ranks and if I have to do competitions to gain my higher belts then so be it.

I was watching some Judo Newaza on you tube last night and I was impressed with some of the finishing moves, although admittedly the video was full of high level Judoka.
    One thing I did notice though was how quickly the subs were gained once the fight hit the floor and usually one person is attacking and the other is only concerned with defending long enough to get the fight standing, whereas when Iíve watched BJJ comps both guys usually just want to get on the floor and one of them will usually pull guard just to get it there and from there on in itís a chess match
    Simply put it's a lot easier in Judo competition to win by throw then to win via pin or submission. So, most competitors either want to land a sub fast (< 30 seconds) or stand up so they can throw.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 10:27am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have started at least six threads in Newbietown bigstu31s, including at least three that featured the same introduction. Probably more since some of your threads have been moved out of that forum.

Do not start any more threads in Newbietown. Typically, more than one per user is frowned upon.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 10:59pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpDawg View Post
    2 hours grappling on the ground once a week with another BJJ white belt was probably enough to give you th3 r3al deadly BJJ. In my experience, judo folk tend to try to quickly explode into a pin, while BJJ folk tend to take their time and make use of a wider range of techniques to submit.

As expected, BJJ folk tend to quickly chase double legs without setups, while judo people have a wider range of setups and techniques to bring the ground to the opponent's back.

I submit judo black belts, but I ain't gonna brag about it because I only survive their throws because they're nice to me.
    I always used the tactic of rapid guard pulling, but I would expect judokas to begin to suck at defending doubles and singles, since they are illegal correct?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 11:43pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I started judo, like 3 lessons in, I submitted a brown via gogoplata. Then I got matched with another brown. I didn't even have time to finish mentally giggling about the gogoplata that he ate me whole repeatedly and ruthlessly. I also routinely fail at doing anything good against one of the older black belts at my club (that I have much, much respect for, BTW). Skill is variable. People have off days sometimes. They have different areas of expertise.

Let me tell you something though. Don't mistake willingness to let you work for weakness. If I were letting you work, let you have a tap in, and caught you bragging, I would attempt to violate you mercilessly next time we'd meet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 5:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    When I started judo, like 3 lessons in, I submitted a brown via gogoplata. Then I got matched with another brown. I didn't even have time to finish mentally giggling about the gogoplata that he ate me whole repeatedly and ruthlessly. I also routinely fail at doing anything good against one of the older black belts at my club (that I have much, much respect for, BTW). Skill is variable. People have off days sometimes. They have different areas of expertise.

Let me tell you something though. Don't mistake willingness to let you work for weakness. If I were letting you work, let you have a tap in, and caught you bragging, I would attempt to violate you mercilessly next time we'd meet.

Not bragging, just making an observation.
    I did Judo for a couple of months several years ago but the head Instructor was a 19 stone International level Judoka so I had no chance and the other Black Belt was also a competing Power Lifter so again I had no chance. At my new club, apart from one very big Brown belt they are all smaller than me. That said Iím not trying to muscle my way to subs as that is counterproductive in the long run.
    Anyway another lesson tomorrow so Iíll see if they up their game against me, in the mean time I gonna try and learn a new sub.
    Any suggestions?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast