Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 11:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    U1ysses, I'm in the town of Upland, which is about ten minutes from I-69, about 55 miles up the interstate from the northern-most side of Indianapolis and about 45 miles from the southern-most side of Fort Wayne.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 12:00am

Style: Judo, BJJ, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 12:06am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    U1ysses, thanks for the links. I haven't driven to Portland in years, but I think it's about an hour and a half. I'll double-check, though. The first link you sent, though, is pretty close to me. In my past experience police athletic leagues have not seemed to offer much for adults, but I will check with them anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 12:13am

Style: Judo, BJJ, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Marion place looks pretty promising. You could probably try them out for free for a class or two (most judo places are friendly about this) and it looks like they've got kyu grades from age 5 to 55 in their scrapbook gallery, so I'd say worth checking out. You can check out the Kuk Sool Wan place, too, of course -- I just figured it would be worth checking other options so you wouldn't feel trapped in one place or another.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 12:16am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I definitely appreciate it. I know I sound like I'm sort of wandering around half-blind, but in a way I am. That's what makes me a n00b. lol

Thanks again.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 10:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MorpheusNSC View Post
    U1ysses, I'm in the town of Upland, which is about ten minutes from I-69, about 55 miles up the interstate from the northern-most side of Indianapolis and about 45 miles from the southern-most side of Fort Wayne.
    Upland. The home of Taylor University.

I grew up just south of Richmond.

Son, yo' ass IS in the middle of nowhere.
    Kuk Sool, eh? The guy in Muncie? Ken Ring?
    Avoid the kuk00l. Just my personal advice.

Find the judo school.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 10:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taylor University, my alma mater and sometime employer, in fact.

Yes, Ken Ring. What have you heard? I've heard very little from people I know in martial arts here, but they're all pretty locked-in on TKD so I'm not sure that matters. His general attitude in the communications we've had and the way he presents himself is extremely positive, open, and sincere.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 10:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know Ken Ring at all. I left kuksool before he was a blip on the radar.
    My problem is with kuksool itself. It is not very practical and it has a lot of "flash and cash" techniques as I call them. I mean, if you're bored off your butt and don't mind learning something "pretty", then go ahead. You might want to find some guys at Muncie who grapple or maybe some JKD Concepts guys (if any are still there). It is a college town and there has to be somebody besides kuksool!

You might want to call James Clingerman with the Indiana Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy and see if he has any affiliates in Muncie.

If you go to the Portland area, maybe you can hook up with some Amish and they'll teach you their Shun Fu.

Taylor U....when did you graduate? I know a few people who went there...
    Last edited by jkdbuck76; 2/26/2010 10:46pm at .
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 10:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll give a call to James Clingerman. You would thing that Muncie would attract more, so I'm sure there are corners I just haven't checked out. Only JKD I've seen is one guy teaching a class at the YMCA with a background in it. Might be worth at least reaching out to him.

I graduated in '99 and have worked around it on and off ever since.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 10:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MorpheusNSC View Post
    I'll give a call to James Clingerman. You would thing that Muncie would attract more, so I'm sure there are corners I just haven't checked out. Only JKD I've seen is one guy teaching a class at the YMCA with a background in it. Might be worth at least reaching out to him.

I graduated in '99 and have worked around it on and off ever since.
    '99.....do you know anybody by the last name of Marcotte? All the Marcotte kids went to Taylor...I think. Eric and Deanne and Becca. But I digress....

Question: who is the JKD teacher at the YMCA? What is his or her name? I might know them.
    SEANBABY:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast