Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 10:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kuk Sool Won ...or... Nothing ?

All, I've read most if not all of the Kuk Sool Won threads on the site, and I definitely understand much of the criticism and would normally fall 100% in line with many of those concerns.

Here's the thing. Where I live my options are extremely limited. If I were to drive an hour-and-a-half each way, I would have more options, but frankly that's not much of an option for me at this point in my life, certainly not with enough frequency to get good training.

My choices within 45 minutes are almost all Tae Kwon Do, and I have little to no interest in Tae Kwon Do. I would rather be studying a more traditional art like judo or kung fu, but I don't have those choices. Alternatively, I might even rather be studying something like BJJ which is not traditional but seems to offer a bit more more fight-readiness.

When I lived for a while in another location with limited options, I was able to study aikido. While not especially fight-ready, I did at least appreciate the benefits to my overall physical and mental well-being, and picked up a few things that I can apply defensively.

Acknowledging all the downsides to Kuk Sool Won, do you see any value you in it as a place holder until my options change? No, I don't expect to come out ready to brawl, but it seems like it still offers many of the health benefits of martial arts study and that there would be some techniques and principles that might give me a few more tools for my defense bag.

In my circumstances do you see Kuk Sool Won as an okay option for me to enter with eyes open, or do you think the negative baggage is just too much to make it worth while?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 11:04pm

Style: Judo, BJJ, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where do you live? These posts come up all the time, and no one ever seems to list where they live! It's better to get people looking into your area to find a good place than to try to get people to accept a bad compromise based on what you've been able to locate yourself.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 11:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in the middle of nowhere in central Indiana.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 11:11pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For what it's worth, just about halfway between Indianapolis and Fort Wayne.

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 11:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MorpheusNSC View Post
    I would rather be studying a more traditional art like judo or kung fu,
    Really, why? Which traditions in particular do you find attractive?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 11:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Generally speaking, I am attracted to the deep roots of traditional styles because of personal satisfaction in connecting to the history but also because I (perhaps misguidedly) see value in having stood the test of time and having been refined through generations of masters.

More specifically, I appreciate a mixture of soft and hard, inner and outer. I like the discipline of forms, but I would prefer it to be combined with true fight-readiness. That said, I do like the balance that a modern art like hapkido offers between strikes and locks/throws. In an ideal world if I were an ideal me, I would love to cross-trainin shaolin kung fu and judo, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Thanks for being patient with me.

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 11:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing is hundreds of years old. Wrestling is older than speech. But if you get off on the idea that it's traditional then I can see that only a certain kind of school will appeal to you. Combat sports are continually being refined whereas non competitive "arts" either don't change or allow absolutely any crap in because there's no reality check to cull the crap.

This is noobietown, we have to be nice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 11:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MorpheusNSC View Post
    For what it's worth, just about halfway between Indianapolis and Fort Wayne.
    Can you be more specific? It looks like there are a couple of judo places in between the two, but given that I don't know how far off the highway you are, or where "halfway" actually puts you, I can't help out any more than that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 11:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Besides, even the ancient Egyptians practiced judo. I mean, just look:

and:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 11:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure I get off on it... but okay.

At any rate, I did indicate that I'd pursue BJJ or something like that if it were available here as an alternative, but everything here is TKD, except for one Kuk Sool Won school with a good reputation (I'll be visiting them soon to see firsthand). There are two schools that bill themselves as MMA training, but in reality only teach TKD.

In all honestly, there is one Shorin-Ryu school, but it has an iffy reputation.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast