232786 Bullies, 3474 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 6:55pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    it doesn't have to. The right to self-defense is orthogonal to the legal notion of at-will employment. For good or ill—ill in my mind, like yours—the employer made its policy clear, the employee insisted that he would violate the policy even if it were his fault (or nobody's or everyones') even after the policy was repeated to him. They could have fired him on the spot. Hell, they could still fire him for that reason, or for no reason.

The general exceptions to at-will is a) stuff in a contract, collective bargaining agreement, or policies in an employee handbook, b) personal characteristics (age, race, gender, pregnancy, disability, religion, national origin) or c) specific protected actions such as union organizing, testifying against the employer in a wrongful dismissal suit, etc.

"I will repeat, so we are clear, if ANYONE assaults me, my fault, their fault, nobodies fault, everyones fault, they WILL be slammed to the floor and choked out. If that is a problem, then I suggest you never put me in the position to be assaulted," is not a protected action, even in states with "stand your ground" rules.

After all, Wal-Mart isn't telling him not to defend himself. Its telling him not to come to work anymore.
    ...but...but..."I am the law"

YouTube- Judge Dredd - I NEVER BROKE THE LAW... I AM THE LAW!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 8:29pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol wal-mart

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 9:10pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    it doesn't have to. The right to self-defense is orthogonal to the legal notion of at-will employment. For good or ill—ill in my mind, like yours—the employer made its policy clear, the employee insisted that he would violate the policy even if it were his fault (or nobody's or everyones') even after the policy was repeated to him. They could have fired him on the spot. Hell, they could still fire him for that reason, or for no reason.

The general exceptions to at-will is a) stuff in a contract, collective bargaining agreement, or policies in an employee handbook, b) personal characteristics (age, race, gender, pregnancy, disability, religion, national origin) or c) specific protected actions such as union organizing, testifying against the employer in a wrongful dismissal suit, etc.

"I will repeat, so we are clear, if ANYONE assaults me, my fault, their fault, nobodies fault, everyones fault, they WILL be slammed to the floor and choked out. If that is a problem, then I suggest you never put me in the position to be assaulted," is not a protected action, even in states with "stand your ground" rules.

After all, Wal-Mart isn't telling him not to defend himself. Its telling him not to come to work anymore.
    This is the sort of reply I was after.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Weak

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 9:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wal-mart hired MTripp after he made some very strong assertions.

MTripp - are you worried that people you may have stopes might escalate the level of violence in subsequent shoplift/exit attempts?

Are you part of any union? I know in Australia there is a union for retail workers though I'm not sure if store 'Security' falls under this umbrella. I'd be getting the employees together and executing a peaceful protest to management. You shouldn'tbe made to feel responsible for workers not getting their bonus when your hands are tied by the company's ludicrous policy.

Plus, I have seen the 'People of Walmart' website.
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 10:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wal-mart, have a union??? What color is the sky on your planet?

Seriously, no. Nor am I worried someone might come back. I wish someone would shoot me; so its a hope not a worry.

I live the people of Wal-mart....
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 11:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mtripp,

Given your name and location is associated with your post, is it safe for you to post the story here and claim that what you stated was an accident was actually intentional?

Don't get me wrong, you're entirely justified, I'm just paranoid about internet detectives.

Good story regardless.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 11:33pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Mtripp,

Given your name and location is associated with your post, is it safe for you to post the story here and claim that what you stated was an accident was actually intentional?

Don't get me wrong, you're entirely justified, I'm just paranoid about internet detectives.

Good story regardless.
    Emevas makes a good point. Say the word Tripp and I'll move it to BBC forum so its not publicly viewable. I rather you not get fired for posting this here.

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 11:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stories of physical violence and proof of judo working is awesome and all, and I don't mean to be a Negative Liberal Nancy, but...

...you may or may not be legally allowed to detain people if they refuse to let you see the receipt. Does Wal-Mart's contract stipulate that one must submit to a search? It might.
    http://consumerist.com/2006/11/ask-t...y-receipt.html

...and many people consider receipt checking to be a dick thing anyway.
    http://consumerist.com/tag/receipt-checking/
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 12:02am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post

Are you part of any union?
    Wal-Mart is notoriously anti-union. Last I checked, the only unionized Wal-Marts were in China, but of course there the unions are yellow dog extensions of the state.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 12:41am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    ...and many people consider receipt checking to be a dick thing anyway.
    http://consumerist.com/tag/receipt-checking/
    Just how is receipt checking a dick thing to do? I work retail and I know what its like to be chewed out for stolen items, so I cooperate with people checking receipts as a sort of professional courtesy. The article you linked talked about people who what, didn't feel like fumbling around for their receipt? That's fine, but if it comes between making someone show me their receipt or risk them walking out with three hundred dollars worth of clothes and shoes, you can damn well bet they're showing me a reciept.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast