Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 11:37pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    Snap caps are just plastic or rubber dummy rounds that you can load in your gun. They are good for guns that are not supposed to be dry fired, and for loading/unloading drills. We used to use them on the range for failure drills by mixing them in with live rounds.
    To make it clear for those not in the know about dry firing, it is very hard on the firing pin.

Snap caps prevent this by allowing the firing pin to hit a soft surface.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 1:28am

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my late grandmother was very scared of burglars. I was about seven when I stayed at her place, and she told me 'if you hear a noise, come out with this' as she handed me a nickel finish 7 1/2 inch barrel colt single action army ...lucky no noises.... (by way wasn't hers, relative had left it there...)
    Last edited by DayOfTheJackass; 2/28/2010 1:32am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 10:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've shot in SASS for 5 or 6 years now, as soon as you get started you won't be disappointed, I promise. It's not as "tactical" as other shooting sports, and I hear the criticisms all the time for it, but trust me man, it is tons of fun.

Also, unrelated, this post brought me out of my hiatus from Bullshido. Random fact for anyone to enjoy.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 10:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooded Justice View Post
    So I have a single action revolver that I have just been toting around in a gun case to and from the range since I got it. Now that I have a little extra cash and a lot of extra time I am wanting to get a decent gunbelt and try learning the quick draw. I was hoping some of the bullies here might be single action shooters and have some helpful leads as to decent quality for good price belts and holsters and also any decent materials for learning some quick draw skills. Is gunbroker going to be my best bet for belts and holsters? Are there any youtube vids that are worth checking out?

Also out of curiosity what are some opinions on single action pistols that you've fired? Any favorite brands or brands to stay away from? I've only ever fired the Ruger new vaqueros in 45 LC and .357. I liked them enough to buy one but also because it was in stock and cheaper than ordering an Uberti which I'd never heard of or fired.
    You can find a lot of the holsters on the sassnet.com (which is already posted I believe). Gunbroker works pretty well, you can also check the gun stores around you to see if they have any single action or lever action rifles, or can at least order you one or point you in the right direction. When you're just starting out, you can get by with a cheap Chinese or Brazilian side by side from Big 5.

Ruger has sells a set of revolvers specifically designed for SASS that are well worth your money if you have it. Ruger has always made a good gun, single action or otherwise, for as long as I've been in the sport at least.

I've shot in SASS for 5 or 6 years now, as soon as you get started you won't be disappointed, I promise. It's not as "tactical" as other shooting sports, and I hear the criticisms all the time for it, but trust me aman, it is tons of fun.

Also, unrelated, this post brought me out of my hiatus from Bullshido. Random fact for anyone to enjoy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 12:12am

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtheawesome View Post
    I've shot in SASS for 5 or 6 years now, as soon as you get started you won't be disappointed, I promise. It's not as "tactical" as other shooting sports, and I hear the criticisms all the time for it, but trust me man, it is tons of fun.

I am not worried about "tactical" quick drawing. I am not looking to sweep and clear the local saloon hehe. I just want to fulfill a little part of every kids cowboy dream.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 12:33am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea, I gotcha.

Find a club near you and go check it out. I guarantee someone there will lend you anything you need to get started. I posted more information regarding your original post, but for some reason it said a mod had to approve it. If its not up by tomorrow, I can repost if you're interested. It was just tips on getting started.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 4:52pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    To make it clear for those not in the know about dry firing, it is very hard on the firing pin.

Snap caps prevent this by allowing the firing pin to hit a soft surface.
    I've heard this many times before, but is it true? I don't think so.

Assuming that we're not talking about a .22 or other rimfire cartridge, I don't see how hitting a soft surface is less damaging to a firing pin than hitting... nothing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 5:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I guess the mods didnt' approve, so here's what I had to say.

I can't help much when it comes to the leather - my dad and I make our own rigs. The SASS website has some links to a couple dozen leather companies, that'd be a good place to start.

Check around at your local gun stores to see if they have single action pistols or lever action rifles, or if they can at least point you in the right direction to find one. When just starting out, you can get by with a Big 5 Chinese/Brazilian side by side shotgun. Ruger now sells a set of single action pistols designed specifically for SASS. Uberti makes a pretty good gun too, mine hasn't failed me in 6 years of use.

The best bet at this point is to show up at the next SASS match in your area, which can be found on the SASS website also, and talk to the guys there. I guarantee someone there will lend you whatever you need to get started. They'll point you to any good gun stores, clothes stores, everything.

Hope this can help in someway.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon_6 View Post
    I've heard this many times before, but is it true? I don't think so.

Assuming that we're not talking about a .22 or other rimfire cartridge, I don't see how hitting a soft surface is less damaging to a firing pin than hitting... nothing.
    My understanding was that dry firing can damage the firing pin on a shotgun or a revolver, but not on an automatic.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 11:52pm

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtheawesome View Post
    Well, I guess the mods didnt' approve, so here's what I had to say.

I can't help much when it comes to the leather - my dad and I make our own rigs. The SASS website has some links to a couple dozen leather companies, that'd be a good place to start.

Check around at your local gun stores to see if they have single action pistols or lever action rifles, or if they can at least point you in the right direction to find one. When just starting out, you can get by with a Big 5 Chinese/Brazilian side by side shotgun. Ruger now sells a set of single action pistols designed specifically for SASS. Uberti makes a pretty good gun too, mine hasn't failed me in 6 years of use.

The best bet at this point is to show up at the next SASS match in your area, which can be found on the SASS website also, and talk to the guys there. I guarantee someone there will lend you whatever you need to get started. They'll point you to any good gun stores, clothes stores, everything.

Hope this can help in someway.
    Thanks dude that is helpful. Right now I have one of the new model ruger vaqueros though it has a 7.5" barrel so probably not the best quickdraw gun but I like having the hog leg around. I've held a couple uberti's but never got to fire them. Do you have any experience with Cimarron or Taurus pieces? I know that the Uberti's are actually copies of the original models and the Rugers are sort of modernized copies with different hammer/pin set up and I have heard favorable things about both. I've heard nothing about Cimarron and Taurus seems to be the bran x of the pistol world.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast