Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 4:01pm

Style: Cage Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Can a pro MMA fighter still do amateur boxing or amateur muay thai?

I was wondering if that was allowed. I mean there's some cross over, but they're completely different sports. I've seen pro boxers do amateur MMA, so I figure maybe it'd work the other way around?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 4:44pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends if both are regulated in your state, in Oregon for example I can't go pro boxing unless I go pro MMA. My boxing coach wanted me to, I told him I'm not ready to do so in MMA so I'm waiting on both.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 4:46pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I googled it on Mass laws, looks like MMA is about to be regulated, then it will most likely be under the same rules (as they're using the unified rules as well) as Oregon is.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 5:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about the legalities of it all but guys at my mma gym who are low level pros compete in amatuer MT and don't get busted, its more of a problem if their opponent finds out they did t3h c4ge f1te!

that being said, if a pro mma fighter went to a pro boxing match it would have to be at a low level, the difference between pure striking and mma striking is large, just as it is with any other aspect

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 6:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm. I just don't get how some people can go pro so quickly, if they're not allowed to continue competing in amateur fights under other rulesets -- which is the impression that I got. So I figured I'd ask to see whether this was true or not.

MMAMikey, what happens if they do get busted? Does the fight still happen or does it get canceled? I can't imagine the MT guys backing out or anything. I mean, around here at least, not too many MT practitioners are particularly afraid of an MMA guy's standup.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 6:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ones with any sense don't worry about it, its just being a 'cage fighter' carries alot of weight amongst some people, in the same way an MT fighter entering a kickboxing tournament will likely **** people up.

over here the MT isn't particularly well regulated at all unline the boxing so it normally goes ahead unless the other fighter pulls out. I've showed up and ended up fighting guys about 5kg heavier, but a friend of mine had a fight organised for 70kg and had the guy show up at over 80 and they let it happen anyway. In fact english MT sucks lol

EDIT: I just remembered, to further illustrate how bad it is here a kid had his first fight with what ended up being the current british champ, for a title, and he had no idea til he showed up

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 6:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    The ones with any sense don't worry about it, its just being a 'cage fighter' carries alot of weight amongst some people, in the same way an MT fighter entering a kickboxing tournament will likely **** people up.

over here the MT isn't particularly well regulated at all unline the boxing so it normally goes ahead unless the other fighter pulls out. I've showed up and ended up fighting guys about 5kg heavier, but a friend of mine had a fight organised for 70kg and had the guy show up at over 80 and they let it happen anyway. In fact english MT sucks lol

EDIT: I just remembered, to further illustrate how bad it is here a kid had his first fight with what ended up being the current british champ, for a title, and he had no idea til he showed up
    LOL! If only he got a lucky KO! That would have been awesome.

My first Sanda match was really disorganized. It was going to be a tournament format where they divided people by experience as well as weight. I ended up fighting this guy, who'd had about 50 amateur matches, between San Shou, Sanda, Muay Thai, and MMA -- some of which was international. He was also a state champ in wrestling. Suffice it to say, I lost.

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 6:49pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Note to self: never take a fight in the UK.

MT in Australia is good, no one really seems to know where the pro/am line is anyway.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 6:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Note to self: never take a fight in the UK.

MT in Australia is good, no one really seems to know where the pro/am line is anyway.
    Same as MMA in Massachusetts, except not in a good way. Like some pros are fucking AWESOME, while some look just like amateurs who get paid. I know a few people who started their careers as a pro and who did/are doing pretty okay for themselves, thus far. That says a lot, in my opinion.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 7:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    I don't know about the legalities of it all
    There are no legalities, really. The promoter or sanctioning org (in kickboxing) might have a problem with it, but since both sports are totally unregulated in this country there's no actual laws to stop you doing whatever you like.

It's even the same with boxing. Credible shows are run under the British Boxing Board of Control, which has proper regulations like in the US. But there's nothing to stop people running unlicensed shows where all sorts of horrendous cowboy **** goes on.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast