Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 4:26pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i know that gold medals are nice, but what you should be putting them into competition for is to face serious opposition so that they can test themselves and see where their skills are at.

losing can be easily as valuable as winning, in terms of their long term development as fighters.

In fairness, he said that both of his kids were already fighting up, it would seem to me in this case tht the thing to do would be give them their medals, tell them, look you steamrolled your division, next time out you got to move on up

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 4:39pm

Style: MMA,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the rule in naga is if you win first in a division then at the following naga you have to fight up. i'm fine with that, one of my students nick schultz was fight in the advanced division in less than a year. i'm cool with that.

but who is kipp to go around telling people they're too good or bad? the only way to find out, is to let them fight. and who cares if they're sandbagging (which i think is a gay term) i mean how many sandbaggers could there be? would it really effect the entire tourament. so what if my fighter gets first or second. its not worth takeing medals away from little kids.

kipp told one of my parents that if a kid got beat bad they might quit. he said on really good kid can make him lose like 6 others.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 4:45pm

Style: MMA,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    In fairness, he said that both of his kids were already fighting up, it would seem to me in this case tht the thing to do would be give them their medals, tell them, look you steamrolled your division, next time out you got to move on up
    exactly thats all i'm saying. thank you cletus, furthermore since naga claim to be the biggest grappling tournament in the US, i want people to know what's really going on.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRINGO1 View Post
    exactly thats all i'm saying. thank you cletus, furthermore since naga claim to be the biggest grappling tournament in the US, i want people to know what's really going on.
    and to be fair, all i'm saying is that sandbagging is a real issue at NAGA and other grappling events.

i'm not saying that kip went about this the right way. just that sandbagging is a legit problem that has to be addressed.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 4:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have dealt with this kind of thing for a very long time. It happens in EVERY grappling event I have ever been to, and that includes Judo.

There isn't much you can do about it. I did make it a point to only attend events under certified and INSURED bodies, which leaves out almost all of the "jujitsu/submission grappling" kind of things.

This is what killed the AAU Wrestling Sambo event; the people running it were not legit Sambo people, the refs were wrestling refs who didn't understand the rules; and when I pointed all that out, and kept pointing it out, AAU Wrestling simply dropped the event.

I feel your pain; all you can do is train hard...
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12