Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 10:44pm

Style: Boxing/Sanda/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help a bully out!

I'm having my third amateur MMA fight this Friday. Aside from my MMA fights I've done a Sanda fight, handful of smokers, and a few grappling tournaments, so I'm fairly experienced for someone going into only his third match. Also, my training camp has gone pretty well, so I'm feeling good.

That said, I really trust and value the opinion of Bullshido and most of its inhabitants. I don't post much but I lurk on a daily basis, so I feel like part of the family. (You guys probably feel more like I'm the product of incest once-removed newphew who'd been locked in the cellar that you've never seen before now, but that's besides the point.) Anyways, I happen to have a bit of video footage of my opponent and I was wondering if you guys would like to break him down for me.

Me and my coaches already did this, but more input never hurt.

MMA Fight: YouTube- Mike Campanella vs Norman Thibeault

Grappling Exhibition: YouTube- Michael Campanella exhibition fight @ Braintree MA

In his MMA fight he was up against a scrub, its hard to guage what he'd do against someone who moved a bit. That said, he's clearly fast and explosive. In his grappling exhibition, it was against a 4-0 pro fighter, so that also isn't the best way to guage how he'd do against some of my (read: lower) caliber.

What I do know about him is that he used to wrestle in high school, he is a BJJ blue belt, and he can kick pretty hard. We have a mutual training partner, who's arm he broke with a round kick.

But yeah, I'd love to see your advice, comments, suggestions, lee hyori pics...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 11:23pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One would think he will bring the fight to you. He has tight footwork and uses his quickness effectively.

What weight class are you?

Hows your conditioning?

Do you have a striking or grappling base?

What is your record for your other ammy fights?

What is your training background?

Are you quick or technical?

Bit more information might make it easier for any sort of opinions that may be on offer. Have you any tape of yourself?

Either way, good luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 11:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainthamish View Post
    One would think he will bring the fight to you. He has tight footwork and uses his quickness effectively.

What weight class are you?

Hows your conditioning?

Do you have a striking or grappling base?

What is your record for your other ammy fights?

What is your training background?

Are you quick or technical?

Bit more information might make it easier for any sort of opinions that may be on offer. Have you any tape of yourself?

Either way, good luck.
    We're 135ers, though my last 2 MMA fights were at 145. I'm 2-0 MMA, 0-1 Sanda.

My conditioning is pretty solid, but I definitely couldn't match his pace. If I pace myself I can go for a while, but if I get over excited i blow my load fast.

I guess I have more of a striking base, but I consider myself fairly decent at both. My wrestling blows, though.

My training background is in boxing, sanda, and submission grappling.

I consider myself to be both moderately quick and technical. I'm not nearly as quick as him, but my standup is definitely more technical.

As for videos of myself, there are a few on my competition footage thread. The fights are in the order that they took place, last post being most recent.

Hahah my bad, though. I guess I should've posted more info about me. I'm a bit of a space case -- even more so, since i'm cutting weight right now.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 2:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well based on the info i see a problem then:

overall he has the advantage: his conditining is likely to be better, and your wrestling/groundgame blows.

if striking is your best part you better get your condition up and keep him at bay.

there's no time for extensive groundwork training so i'd suggest this:work and jabs/boxing, sprawls clinches and escapes.

oh and perhaps utilise inside leg kicks to frustrate his gameplan.

good luck and i think its no shame if you'd lose to this oponent at all.
    wil you post footage of the fight in this thread?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 10:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    well based on the info i see a problem then:

overall he has the advantage: his conditining is likely to be better, and your wrestling/groundgame blows.

if striking is your best part you better get your condition up and keep him at bay.

there's no time for extensive groundwork training so i'd suggest this:work and jabs/boxing, sprawls clinches and escapes.

oh and perhaps utilise inside leg kicks to frustrate his gameplan.

good luck and i think its no shame if you'd lose to this oponent at all.
    wil you post footage of the fight in this thread?
    I will, indeed, post footage of the fight.

Lol my grappling doesn't blow NEARLY as much as my wrestling. I honestly believe that I'll be able to hang with him on the ground. I've improved TONS since the NAGA I have vids of (which is what I assume you're judging my ground game off of), especially in the areas that led to my downfall -- specifically posture in guard, passing guard, triangle defense... Furthermore, I've had a chance to work with a few bluebelts and I've done pretty well for myself in no gi. Our aforementioned mutual training partner is a blue who is supposedly very evenly matched with my opponent on the ground, and I've been subbing him on at least a 2:1 ratio.

That said, I'm planning to work the standup as long as I can. Inside leg kicks, as you suggested, is a must! I mean look at how wide his legs are positioned... How could I not?

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 11:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah ok, i wa sunder the impression you didnt have a groundgame.
    my mistake.
    well in that case i would say you should have a good chance.
    why le **** not as the french would say!

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 3:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Leg kicks (viscious ones) FTW. Visualize yourself winning (I'm doing it right now, the leg kicks worked!). Good luck!

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 3:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is your coach going to be in your corner this time?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 6:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Leg kicks (viscious ones) FTW. Visualize yourself winning (I'm doing it right now, the leg kicks worked!). Good luck!
    Hahaha! Nice one! Yeah I've definitely gotten into the whole visualizing and meditation thing, and I've done it for my last few competitions. It's helped me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Is your coach going to be in your corner this time?
    Yeah. He's always in my corner for fights. Only time he hasn't been was when for a grappling tournament or two.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 6:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    Yeah. He's always in my corner for fights. Only time he hasn't been was when for a grappling tournament or two.
    What is *his* gameplan for the fight, as I presume you have shown him the tape of your opponent, correct?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast