Sponsored Links Spacer Image

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/01/2010 11:25pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Pulse Rifle was supposed to fire "10mm caseless", whatever that means. Because in the 80s they hilariously thought everyone would inevitably go caseless.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 12:30am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    The Pulse Rifle was supposed to fire "10mm caseless", whatever that means.

Very much like a compact railgun.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 1:48am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best defense it to be a white female. Black males rate of death by firearms is 34.5/100,000 and it's 2.7/100,000 for white females.

For home defense I live in a boring suburb. I do have a shotgun and a 30.06, but of course they are in the basement with ammo in a box, not too handy for fighting the home invaders.

I'd suggest getting a couple yappy little dogs or a big friendly golden retriever that'd bark loudly, but I think that won't go over with the machos, so for them, get a pit. Never mind that golden retrievers vs pits in the bite human statistics are 6 to 1100 incidents, get a pit or three or a dozen.

According to University of Utah med school http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/...S/GUNSTAT.html

"The issue of "home defense" or protection against intruders or assailants may well be misrepresented. A study of 626 shootings in or around a residence in three U.S. cities revealed that, for every time a gun in the home was used in a self-defense or legally justifiable shooting, there were four unintentional shootings, seven criminal assaults or homicides, and 11 attempted or completed suicides (Kellermann et al, 1998)."

The safest thing might be to get this as a sign and window sticker:

"Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 2:05am

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    That over under combo from preditor is called the locksmith. Its to pop the lock with a slug then clear room with the rifle. I dont know about modern designs I left the military in 96. I think one problem with the semi is that you need more of the weapon compared to breach loading shotguns.
    I saw a setup for an M4 called the Master Key and it was a 3-4 shot 12ga. I suppose you need more real estate under the barrel for a semi auto shotgun but if you are mounting a shotgun on a rifle/carbine for "home defense" then man up and go for the gold. From a military perspective I easily see keeping it as a small light lock popper and not for cqb.

And WR the M41A is supposed to fire 10mm "explosive tip" case less. Standard light armor piercing round... you know. Ironically you can see the cases ejecting when they fire the guns through the whole movie. And there is no way even in a case less stack that you could get 95 10mm rounds in that 1 mag. But a man can dream.

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 2:27am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooded Justice View Post
    And there is no way even in a case less stack that you could get 95 10mm rounds in that 1 mag. But a man can dream.
    Indeed, all one needs for proof is a viewing of Judge Dredd (preferably with muted sound).
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

What is instead happening is thus:
    1. Your argument is bullshit.
    2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
    3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 3:24am

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    No burglar in the U.S. who's in his right mind breaks into a home with someone there unless he's sure the homeowner doesn't have a gun.

Most burglars here make a point to break into homes where no one that can likely hurt them.
    fix'd. If what the UK papers say it's like, most burglars just arm up and walk in, safe in the knowledge that the law will protect them from that mean old man armed with a WWII rifle/pistol. *trollface*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 9:54am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooded Justice View Post
    I saw a setup for an M4 called the Master Key and it was a 3-4 shot 12ga. I suppose you need more real estate under the barrel for a semi auto shotgun but if you are mounting a shotgun on a rifle/carbine for "home defense" then man up and go for the gold. From a military perspective I easily see keeping it as a small light lock popper and not for cqb.

And WR the M41A is supposed to fire 10mm "explosive tip" case less. Standard light armor piercing round... you know. Ironically you can see the cases ejecting when they fire the guns through the whole movie. And there is no way even in a case less stack that you could get 95 10mm rounds in that 1 mag. But a man can dream.
    Ahh. I stand corrected. I ment to say Master Key. I never held the M4 version as it was only in circulation a short while when I left the army.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 12:12pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fug View Post

According to University of Utah med school http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/...S/GUNSTAT.html

"The issue of "home defense" or protection against intruders or assailants may well be misrepresented. A study of 626 shootings in or around a residence in three U.S. cities revealed that, for every time a gun in the home was used in a self-defense or legally justifiable shooting, there were four unintentional shootings, seven criminal assaults or homicides, and 11 attempted or completed suicides (Kellermann et al, 1998)."

Unfortunately, the study mentioned is not named in the article text. The article linked to was written to support anti-civil rights arguments.

Do you have the name of the "study of 626 shootings"? The Kellerman citation is not enough.

It appears the author(s) include criminal acts that a person may have been defending against.

Apples are still apples even if from a graft on an orange tree.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 3:14pm

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    Ahh. I stand corrected. I ment to say Master Key. I never held the M4 version as it was only in circulation a short while when I left the army.
    I always thought the over/under combo from predator was purely a movie thing. Oddly enough the grenade launcher made sense at the same time...

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In both "More Guns Less Crime," and "The Great American Gun Debate," this "data" is explained in detail.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+Gr...ate-a020521324

When they talk about handgun deaths in the home NOT being caused by the homeowners firearm, they include the following:

1. When police officers shoot someone in your home.
    2. If the death was caused by someone else's fire arm.

When they talk about "firearms in the home," they include "homes" like crack houses.

When you remove all that kind of filler, used to make the Sara Brady crowd happy, you get a VERY different picture. I direct you to the two works above, as doing your own homework is always best.

PS: Yes, in England "Hot" (when someone is home) break-in's are VASYLT above ours, something that always gets left out of the debate.
    Last edited by Mtripp; 3/02/2010 3:43pm at .
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234