Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 2:12am

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A bayonet is not an ideal addition to a home defense weapon. In addition to being awkward and ungainly, it is not going to be flattering to the law of you wind up impaling someone with it. Planning on stabbing someone on the one in a thousand chance you'll have a weapon malfunction in the one in a thousand chance you'll need to defend yourself in your home isn't very pragmatic. If you're that worried about it, prepare a backup firearm.

Also, just so I have this straight - your HD plan is elevated engagement at a range of 10 feet in a flak vest and Garand with fixed bayo? That's one a hell of a mental image. You may deter would-be invaders just with the sheer lunacy factor.

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 2:27am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ceeb View Post
    America is fucked. I have a combat knife I keep on my night stand. We don't really have home invasion all that much here.
    And neither does America...unless you are mixed up in criminality.

Sure some burglaries/home invasions do happen to "normal people", but by and large most of them are perpetrated by shitheads looking for dope, money, guns etc. because they know the person living there is involved in the drug trade (or is a burglar with good stolen ****) and has dope/cash inside.

As to the pictures of "people hiding behind their beds"..its like 1000X safer to hole up in a locked bedroom covering the door with your gun while you call the cops than it is going out searching the house for the bad guy.
    Last edited by tgace; 2/27/2010 2:35am at .

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 3:05am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    As to the pictures of "people hiding behind their beds"..its like 1000X safer to hole up in a locked bedroom covering the door with your gun while you call the cops than it is going out searching the house for the bad guy.
    Welcome to my strategy. A Canadian friend once figured I was talking about clearing my own house, and this is what I told him:
    Quote Originally Posted by Me, about a year ago
    The gun is for locking myself in my room, pointing the gun at the door, and shooting anyone who comes through that door whose first name isn't "Officer."
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

What is instead happening is thus:
    1. Your argument is bullshit.
    2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
    3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 4:01am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    +1 on that!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 11:55am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Welcome to my strategy. A Canadian friend once figured I was talking about clearing my own house, and this is what I told him:
    Same. They even posted it in the editorial section of a newspaper. I'm not going out to look for trouble.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not the odds, it's the stakes. You are unlikely to face a home invader, but if you do, it's too late start over very well.

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 2:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    +1 I was taught that at this point the phone should already be off the hook with 911 on the line.
    I shout out a warning that,
    "I am armed! You are trespassing and i will shoot! I believe you intend harm and the police are on the way!"
    I was also taught that i should try to barricade myself (and any loved ones) deep in the house and not go out to meet a threat, let them come to you while the police arrive.
    This way if i do shoot the intruder, i have a good chance of not going to prison as Hawai'i has a "castle law" and 911 will record the whole thing.

Any thoughts from the pros?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 3:05pm

Style: Ninjutsu/Isshinryu/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I can get my kids into my room, I'll call 911, barricade the door, warn and wait in the bedroom. (Wife and I will have different angles with the door as a kill zone.) However, I'll be waiting behind cover at the top of the stairs with my 870 until the the rest of my family is in their designated spot.

I have not heard of many burglars wearing body armor, so I trust in buckshot.

I'm also curious about advice from LEOs.

Regards

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 2:32am

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My suggestion is take two courses from here http://www.eagtactical.com/
    The three day carbine if you plan on using a rifle(bring that rifle to the course). Follow it up with the CQB tactical shoot house course when it becomes available.

I have no vested interest in Pat Rogers or the course of instruction he offers. He just knows his **** and can teach it if your willing to learn.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 8:34pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poofist View Post
    Also, just so I have this straight - your HD plan is elevated engagement at a range of 10 feet in a flak vest and Garand with fixed bayo? That's one a hell of a mental image. You may deter would-be invaders just with the sheer lunacy factor.
    Well when you put it that way, you make it sound like I should get a steel helmet from World War II from a gun show and wear it with the straps hanging just to complete the silhouette.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast